Extinction Release Megathread

ItWasntMe

• Replies 482
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Vynlann said:

I don't understand this. Jen just confirmed you guys were adding a feature to cryopods that wasn't supposed to be there. AND THAT IS WHY WE DON'T HAVE THIS YET?

C'mon, this is absolutely ridiculous. Console players are getting a delay because certs, it's already pretty much been said. But this kind of delay is past you guys, or at least so I thought. You've gotta do better than this.

Everytime you delay extinction is making player less likely want to be involved in your future sales of anything. Especially season passes. You're damaging your reputation and sales. 

For those who are curious about my comment about what jen confirmed.

And then she edited the part out about inventories.

C'mon, now you're losing personal respect from me Jen.

Is she raptoring serious? How is it possible that you test different saddle qualities ON THE RELEASE DAY?!?!?!?!? HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THIS GAME IS NOT POLISHED TO THE raptorING EDGE YET AFTER DELAYING IT 7 MONTHS BEFOREHAND. You should have atleast 1-2 guys in your office to play that game non stop before release and test everything, absolutely everything. Even I know that and I'm just using my brains and have not a degree in coding or making games.

1 minute ago, FluffyDinoPartey said:

Is she raptoring serious? How is it possible that you test different saddle qualities ON THE RELEASE DAY?!?!?!?!? HOW IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THIS GAME IS NOT POLISHED TO THE raptorING EDGE YET AFTER DELAYING IT 7 MONTHS BEFOREHAND. You should have atleast 1-2 guys in your office to play that game non stop before release and test everything, absolutely everything. Even I know that and I'm just using my brains and have not a degree in coding or making games.

She edited her comment. Here is what she originally wrote

I can supply some further info on that. It’s a little more complex than just a transfer. The cryopod can contain the creatures saddle and inventory which is not something a regular upload can do. This opens up the pods to a lot more variables, such as many types of saddles and hundreds of different types of items within the inventory. Turns out a combination of slot capped items and high quality saddle will cause issues. It was found while we were seeing it the cryopod could be exploited in any way.

Now it writes

I can supply some further info on that. It’s a little more complex than just a transfer. The cryopod can contain the creatures saddle which is not something a regular upload can do. This opens up the pods to a lot more variables, such as many qualities of saddles. Turns out a high quality saddle will cause issues. It was found while we were seeing it the cryopod could be exploited in any way.

it was delayed because someone on their team didn't remove a part of cryopod features that wasn't supposed to be there in the first place. When asked on twitch stream for extralife they had told us only saddles would be kept, not inventories...the dlc is delayed for a feature that shouldn't had even been implemented. And here we are 5 hours later...and still at least 1 hour to go.

1 minute ago, FluffyDinoPartey said:

When you think about it, it's actually sad how less they care about the game when it comes to a good release. This game should be finished 1 week ago, with an internal release test already done and having some ppl test out everything. It can't be that hard - imagine yourself slacking at the job like wildcard, I would get fired lol.

That's not the way game development works.

Devs work daily on new features and bugs relating to the features they added the day before. That's really simplified, but conveys the right idea. There's usually a QA team working at the same time testing the new features and submitting new bugs each day. It's a circular cycle that pushes new content and refines existing content. Devs have to spend time to fix problems QA finds. QA has to spend time thoroughly testing new content the devs create. Both sides create work for the other side. The more work one side does the more it slows down the other side that needs to address it before moving on.

The game was originally promised back during the summer and is now four months late. The fact that they're still finding bugs of this magnitude this close to release means that there is a break down somewhere in the cycle of Content > QA > Bugs > Fixes > Content.

This cycle is NEVER ENDING. Ever. There are always bugs. The judgment call to be made is when is the game at an acceptable state to be released. Four month delay means that intended content isn't in or is severely broken so it CAN'T be released. A few hour delay means time management failure.

A game crash is significant and must be addressed immediately. A game crash bug, especially on release, means like red lights flashing, sirens going off, all (appropriate) hands on deck to fix and verify the fix. At this point someone decided to give the entire community the freaking FINGER by not simply disabling the feature and releasing the game, saving that feature's implementation for a day one content patch or day two or something like that. Someone made the choice to piss off all of their customers instead of releasing and fixing later.

3 minutes ago, StickmanStan said:

That's not the way game development works.

Devs work daily on new features and bugs relating to the features they added the day before. That's really simplified, but conveys the right idea. There's usually a QA team working at the same time testing the new features and submitting new bugs each day. It's a circular cycle that pushes new content and refines existing content. Devs have to spend time to fix problems QA finds. QA has to spend time thoroughly testing new content the devs create. Both sides create work for the other side. The more work one side does the more it slows down the other side that needs to address it before moving on.

The game was originally promised back during the summer and is now four months late. The fact that they're still finding bugs of this magnitude this close to release means that there is a break down somewhere in the cycle of Content > QA > Bugs > Fixes > Content.

This cycle is NEVER ENDING. Ever. There are always bugs. The judgment call to be made is when is the game at an acceptable state to be released. Four month delay means that intended content isn't in or is severely broken so it CAN'T be released. A few hour delay means time management failure.

A game crash is significant and must be addressed immediately. A game crash bug, especially on release, means like red lights flashing, sirens going off, all (appropriate) hands on deck to fix and verify the fix. At this point someone decided to give the entire community the freaking FINGER by not simply disabling the feature and releasing the game, saving that feature's implementation for a day one content patch or day two or something like that. Someone made the choice to piss off all of their customers instead of releasing and fixing later.

thanks for explaining, but yeah you said it as well - someone decided to not release, which is a shame

2 minutes ago, RoyHess666 said:

If there really was a QA team constantly checking for bugs, why didn't they report the annoying reload bug then? (thats just one of over 260 items on my personal list (which Ive sent to Studio Cardwild two times)

They've almost certainly already found it. Think of game development like emergency room triage. The guy who's about to die gets attention over the guy with a broken finger. Sometimes there's a hundred guys about to die coming in a few at a time steadily making that guy with the broken finger sit in the waiting room getting more and more angry that he has to wait.

Just now, StickmanStan said:

They've almost certainly already found it. Think of game development like emergency room triage. The guy who's about to die gets attention over the guy with a broken finger. Sometimes there's a hundred guys about to die coming in a few at a time steadily making that guy with the broken finger sit in the waiting room getting more and more angry that he has to wait.

a game breaking bug is more critical than for example " Increased damage range for players/dinos on surface of Aberration "
Seriously, if they work all the time like that, focussing on irrelevent stuff first then my concern is actually quite fitting.

2 minutes ago, RoyHess666 said:

a game breaking bug is more critical than for example " Increased damage range for players/dinos on surface of Aberration "
Seriously, if they work all the time like that, focussing on irrelevent stuff first then my concern is actually quite fitting.

I'm not sure what specific bugs you're referring to, but important bugs are more important than not-important bugs, lol.

A game crash is priority numero freakin uno. Any bug that prevents the game from being played is top priority.

Sometimes finding these game crash bugs requires exploring some dark little corner that you'd never expect a crash to occur and poof, you find it and you're forced to stop work on other less important things and work on it instead. When that gets fixed, then you go back to working on the less important stuff.

The feature Jen's referring to is NOT a feature that players are going to be using immediately though and can easily be disabled for the short term if it means getting the expansion out for people to begin playing. It is completely beyond me, if that's the only thing keeping the expansion from being released, why they would choose to withhold the entire raptoring expansion to fix something relatively irrelevant instead of disable, release, and patch later.

Archived