Jump to content
nemecide

Non-Dedicated session tether

Recommended Posts

(I have posted something like this before)

Ok so I just got to ragnarok and have been doing good things like traveling and you probably know where this going but haven't been traveling far because of tether. Ragnarok is by far one of the biggest maps on ark and it shows with what creatures you can use to get around, but here's the thing you'll usually make it 100 feet before getting dragged.

Tether is annoying especially in open world games because it makes you laugh when you hear open world. Also because instead of being an independent adventure your constantly hugging the host. The distance for tether is very short and could be extended a few hundred yards. So here's some recommendations 

1. Add a slider like back in one of the early versions of ark.

2. Do what minecraft does and give each player independent rendering distances.

These are just 2 suggestions for this problem but are very simple additions. Now I'll give examples of annoying tether issues.

1. When the host is one the flyer and you are teleported to them you get sent to the bottom to danger like lava, water, and big dinosaurs which will turn you into cementing paste.

2. When host dies every other player gets teleported to the host which is annoying when spelunking.

3. When the host is on a fast dinosaur and they get caught in danger start to run away mean while you're on a cliff making your way down and get dragged off.

4. The host is moving while your trailing behind and the tame behind is being attacked you cant help them because the invisible wall is dragging you.

5. Getting wyvern eggs and your watching host get an egg and you get dragged down either falling lava or dying from fall damage.

I could go on so please wild card take this i to consideration for console players when your deciding how far back you want to push back the extinction dlc for console players.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They can't. Because on non-dedicated, the host's console is used as a server. If it renders anymore than that, it can lead to irreversible damage to the console. Even if WC wanted to, it won't get past certification. 

Either rent a server, join one or just suck it up on the fact that you are using a console and not a PC (Some PC can't handle too much tether either but they don't have this protection and just toast their PC). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Paroxyde said:

They can't. Because on non-dedicated, the host's console is used as a server. If it renders anymore than that, it can lead to irreversible damage to the console. Even if WC wanted to, it won't get past certification. 

Either rent a server, join one or just suck it up on the fact that you are using a console and not a PC (Some PC can't handle too much tether either but they don't have this protection and just toast their PC). 

I know about damage to consoles it is a very unavoidable fact fact but I've seen games like seven days and minecraft give each player independent render distances and I think that would be a good alternative 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, nemecide said:

I know about damage to consoles it is a very unavoidable fact fact but I've seen games like seven days and minecraft give each player independent render distances and I think that would be a good alternative 

All players have individual render distance anyway. The thing is minecraft and 7dtd can afford for the host to render a few players on console, however, ark solo already eats away almost 8Gb... And console have 8Gb Ram... The host can't afford extra RAM even for one more player. 

While on PC 8Gb is the most basic req, most of us have 16Gb if not more. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually found out the host is the person who renders in objects because when you stand close to the tether barrier grass despawns and trees and stone disappear completely when mined instead of disappearing. 

In my argument I forgot to mention that I wanted tether to be like it was in the early version ark the more unstable version where people could adjust tether distance to a desirable range and I remember many people did not have any trouble with their consoles and it was all ok till they removed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/6/2018 at 9:28 AM, Paroxyde said:

All players have individual render distance anyway. The thing is minecraft and 7dtd can afford for the host to render a few players on console, however, ark solo already eats away almost 8Gb... And console have 8Gb Ram... The host can't afford extra RAM even for one more player. 

While on PC 8Gb is the most basic req, most of us have 16Gb if not more. 

Actually found out the host is the person who renders in objects because when you stand close to the tether barrier grass despawns and trees and stone disappear completely when mined instead of disappearing. 

In my argument I forgot to mention that I wanted tether to be like it was in the early version ark the more unstable version where people could adjust tether distance to a desirable range and I remember many people did not have any trouble with their consoles and it was all ok till they removed it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×