taming a troodon

GameFreak

The troodon will not natively aggro on a Rex,  so of course they won't aggro on a baby rex.     You have to feed them dinos they naturally aggro on (which is not efficient).  This is why troodon taming is so damn hard.

The most time efficient ways to do this involve tricking the troodon into attacking a dino it would not normally attack by drawing it's aggro is onto you but standing in a place where the troodon actually attacks the other dino instead of you.   Since the bigger dino has to be at least on neutral, it's likely the bigger dino will accidentally kill the troodon before the troodon kills it.  So babies are typically used, but they have a tendency to run away so you to have to pin them down somehow.

As if this wasn't difficult enough, the troodon WILL lose aggro on you over a certain point in time.  Believe it or not all animals do this in Ark, it's just so unlikely you're still alive that you never see it, but it does happen.   

So, in summary:

- You have to prep the babies to be nearly dead
- Somehow pin them down so they don't run
- Somehow draw the troodon's aggro but 'trick' them into attacking the baby instead of you (like standing behind them or on top of them)
- All within a few minutes before they lose aggro and effectiveness.

I've done this twice and I refuse to do this again.   The troodons themselves aren't even worth it.  They're pretty useless animals especially now that wolves have the sniff feature. 

-K

i decided to see if going for a higher lv troodon might be better because of the higher dmg and came across a 140 and i had some wyvern eggs so i used a 155 and dropped its hp to about 100 just before night and i was able to get it to aggro using a dart this time so i now have a 210 troodon lol

thanks for the help and hopefully this will keep working for at least another troodon, need it for kibble.

If the pen is too small troodon can be stuck in flee state, I personally had to make a 20x4 pen to get it to flee completely then come back consistently (You stay at one end and let it run, it will come back after it fled far enough from you). 

You first tranq a baby wyvern (because wyvern baby food drain is low, once tranqed they won't flee which makes them use a lot of food and lead to starvation and they don't regen health anymore once tranqed).

Then you beat it up to below 5hp using various tools while calculating damage. 

Then you lure a troodon and let it pounce you while you jump on the baby. 

If the baby level is high enough and will instant tame the troodon, the big pen is unnecessary as it won't go into flee state. 

Baby must be in neutral or aggressive or it won't tame. Tameing at nigh give troodon damage buff but also gives it more xp (cf. Dododex) 

11 hours ago, GameFreak said:

it is on neutral but i will try the dart although i dont have a lot because i dont have a lot of underwater creatures lol

You can stay behind baby rex and troodon will attack you and rex also by splash. Or you should stay behind a wall and call rex walk to you - and as i previously mentioned troodon will attack you and hit rex.

Also, you should do that during night ( it give them a lot more xp)

Archived