Extinction Trailer Theory

DiscoBorrito

I love ARK. I've played the game for about 2 years, but known about it for about 3. I have been in love with the game. I can't wait for the Extinction DLC next week, but the trailer got me thinking. Doesn't the Extinction announcement trailer just seem... different? Think about it like this: The ARK release trailer, Scorched Earth trailer, and the Aberration trailer showed more creatures, items, and features about the game. Extinction shows new creatures, and Wildcard has explained some new features that the DLC will offer, but the trailer just seemed out of place. Then it hit me: The trailer is only from one person's perspective. My theory is that the person in said trailer is Helena Walker, creator of the dossiers.

Allow me to explain. The previous trailers are from several perspectives. Some may argue that it may be one person going through many different things on the ARKs, but this is incorrect. In the Scorched Earth Expansion Pack trailer, around 1:44, the character looks into the sky in the middle of the battle and sees two wyverns, a fire and a poison wyvern, descend into the fray. Then, at 1:47, the perspective switches to a wyvern rider. They see a battle beneath them and a fire wyvern in front of them. They shoot poison and veer up to follow the fire wyvern. It's the same battle. There's no way that the person on the ground could teleport onto the back of the poison wyvern. From this, it shows the perspective of 2 different people. Knowing this, I assume that all the other trailers are from the perspective of multiple people.

But Extinction is different. Throughout the trailer, we see the same rex in every scene. I inferred that this was the same person through the entire trailer. But why do I think it's Helena? In the beginning of the trailer, the character looks into the sky of the broken planet and surveys the enormous structures and the birds flying. They don't just glance, they examine. Helena Walker is a biologist, so studying her environment is key for her research. The character then looks toward their rex and lifts their hand. What's so special about this? Look at the finger nails. They're long. Or at least longer than the nails of the average male, but a decent size for the typical female. Small, but possibly an important detail.

The next scene shows the character walking through the great city. They witness an enforcer climb up and attack a giga. Nothing normally attacks a wild giganotosaurus. Helena's biologist instinct would tell her that this is unnatural, so she observes.

After, the trailer switches to show a HUD overlay around a spire-like thing, almost definitely corrupted element. The HUD overlay comes from a scout drone. After hovering around the corrupt element spire for a few seconds, the character removes the TEK binoculars from their face, calling the scout drone back. You see the element spire in the distance, so I guessed that it was too dangerous to get near it. However, Helena would probably study it aster seeing the corrupt creatures roaming about. That's what I think she's doing now.

Finally, the scene switches to a snowy biome. The character is holding a GPS, watching the numbers change and the direction dial spin. They hit it against their hand, hoping to fix it. Nothing happens. Quick note: during this moment, look at the finger nails again. Anyway, the character gets startled by a noise and shaking. They turn to face the cliff and slowly back away. They look back to their rex, probably for protection. The rex backs away slightly and the character faces back toward the cliff, watching as the Frost Titan lays its massive paws (claws? hands? grabbing appendages?) where the character stood moments ago. The titan lifts its great head and releases an earth-shattering roar.

My best guess is that the character was surveying the snow biome of this area, comparing it to the one on the island. I believe that this is Helena, as, in her dossiers, she mentions her time studying the snow biome on the island.

It's a leap, but I think it could be her. It may be lacking evidence, but it makes sense. The finger nails, the characters actions, heck, even how leisurely they move. In most of the trailers, the characters move faster or seem more alert. The character in this trailer seems to be taking everything in. Observing. The person in the Extinction trailer has to be Helena Walker.

Your questions, comments, or concerns are appreciated. Perhaps Wildcard might chip in? Anyway, that's my 2 cents. Feel free to share your ideas.

Regards,

Disco

14 minutes ago, TravisMichael said:

I focused more on the prominence of that Rex in the trailer. I think that, upon waking up on Earth, the player will automatically find an unclaimed Rex near a spawn point. That Rex is given to you to deal with the harsh terrain of Earth.

This could be possible, however, it's not entirely likely. On multiplayer servers, this would pose a bit of a problem, so perhaps that could be for singleplayer? The rex itself didn't stand out to me aside from that it was in every scene. It could pose some importance, though. I'll look into it.

14 minutes ago, TravisMichael said:

I focused more on the prominence of that Rex in the trailer. I think that, upon waking up on Earth, the player will automatically find an unclaimed Rex near a spawn point. That Rex is given to you to deal with the harsh terrain of Earth.

Perhaps its significance is that it shows the unnatural features of the life on the earth. The coloration of the rex is very different and exceedingly unlikely, if not impossible, to see in the wild. But that's just an idea. I feel like it does signify something. Hmm... curious...

It can't be Helena. Helena did both ascension and aberration, her implant should be green/blue/red with a green/blue/red holographic display. In the trailer, if my memory serve me right, an Alpha Ascendant implant is shown but no Aberrant holographic display. 

Absolutely no chance of a free Rex because it makes no sense. 

1 minute ago, Paroxyde said:

It can't be Helena. Helena did both ascension and aberration, her implant should be green/blue/red with a green/blue/red holographic display. In the trailer, if my memory serve me right, an Alpha Ascendant implant is shown but no Aberrant holographic display. 

Absolutely no chance of a free Rex because it makes no sense. 

This is correct, that Helena both ascended and beat aberration, but so did our character, as shown in the end scenes of the island and aberration. Though, I am confused as to how can one determine the color of their implant based on ascension and beating aberration.

In the end scene of aberration, the survivor's implant is like this: image.thumb.png.d30b1c5efea9e0c34d5f29b9b7f6c815.png

In the extinction trailer, the implant looks like this: image.thumb.png.d6ea3ca0e30db9bb84dbfbeb99b3ecaa.png

Apologies for the line. I was in YouTube and the little bar at the bottom wouldn't go down.

Anyway, I'm not certain that the character in the Extinction trailer is Helena, but I'm fairly sure, at least. Thank you for your feedback.

22 minutes ago, DiscoBorrito said:

This is correct, that Helena both ascended and beat aberration, but so did our character, as shown in the end scenes of the island and aberration. Though, I am confused as to how can one determine the color of their implant based on ascension and beating aberration.

In the end scene of aberration, the survivor's implant is like this: image.thumb.png.d30b1c5efea9e0c34d5f29b9b7f6c815.png

In the extinction trailer, the implant looks like this: image.thumb.png.d6ea3ca0e30db9bb84dbfbeb99b3ecaa.png

Apologies for the line. I was in YouTube and the little bar at the bottom wouldn't go down.

Anyway, I'm not certain that the character in the Extinction trailer is Helena, but I'm fairly sure, at least. Thank you for your feedback.

Ascension changes the color of your implant: Red for alpha, Blue for beta and Green for gamma. 

Aberration add the holographic display that will be green for gamma, blue for beta and red for alpha. 

So if you did both on alpha, you would have a red implant with a red holographic display. 

Like this:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1231908107

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1230678606

2 hours ago, DiscoBorrito said:

This could be possible, however, it's not entirely likely. On multiplayer servers, this would pose a bit of a problem, so perhaps that could be for singleplayer? The rex itself didn't stand out to me aside from that it was in every scene. It could pose some importance, though. I'll look into it.

Another possibility is that at the beginning there is an area where unclaimed Rexes spawn periodically and, the game only allows you to get ONE.

Not to be an ass, but I think you're overthinking this.

I think you were on to something I really do. But I don't think wildcard would be so clever as to do this. I actually had no idea it was a female character from the start. I just think the announcement trailer was just a teaser. Aberration didn't really get an announcement trailer, just...a trailer. Even the launch one just added a live action short scene in the beginning. SE released the same day it was announced so it didn't get that attention.

I also think some are forgetting the aberration trailer, the survivor had a red implant too. I actually missed this part til now.

I really like that theory !
Concerning the implant that the aberrant one missing, it may be a miss ??
I mean, to go to Extinction (according to the story) you NEED to accomplish Aberration, and use the portal that Diana's Crew build.
I don't think that, without that teleporter especially, you can go to Earth.

(help reminder, you pass the teleporter ?
Helena, Mei, Santiago, (Diana died if I remember) some crew that survived, and.. that's all ? Did I missed important character ?)

7 hours ago, Globy said:

I really like that theory !
Concerning the implant that the aberrant one missing, it may be a miss ??
I mean, to go to Extinction (according to the story) you NEED to accomplish Aberration, and use the portal that Diana's Crew build.
I don't think that, without that teleporter especially, you can go to Earth.

(help reminder, you pass the teleporter ?
Helena, Mei, Santiago, (Diana died if I remember) some crew that survived, and.. that's all ? Did I missed important character ?)

Diana is still alive :)

Read the notes again einstein, it literally says Diana died in mei yin's arms.
* spoiler warning for extinction lore stuff *

So he was referring to the extinction explorer notes (all are now on the wiki) , which indeed feature Diana as a note writing character. Why, when she died on aberration ? Well we also have the one who waits ( which is kinda confirmed to be helena, who ascended into a homo Deus, but thats a whole other story ) as a note writer on this map. It gets explained that after some randomness she accidentally discovers that she can put humans from the ark back into life. That accident is Diana. Since that was kinda random, Diana was only revived that one time and wouldn't respawn again if she would die.
After that she tested a lot with the survivors on the ark , trying to replicate this event, eventually succeeding and achieving a generation of survivors who come back from the death ( that's us, the players ) However that took her a really long time which explains why nobody else that died in the lore came back.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived