ARK Modding Contest Winners & New Sponsored Mods!

ZenRowe

• Wildcard Community

Hello Survivors!

We are happy to announce the conclusion of the Sept-Oct 2018 ARK Modding Contest. More than 60 mod projects were entered for this contest and the community has certainly come a long way since the last one. Mod authors were tasked with putting forth their best creations for a chance at the grand prize. The community also voted on their favorite mods to go alongside evaluations by Wildcard Staff. It was a pleasure to explore everyone's creations, and if you missed it you can find a collection of all the spotlights that Zen Rowe did for the contest over on our Twitch channel.

Without further ado, here are the winners of the Sept-Oct 2018 ARK Modding Contest!

1st Place - $15,000
Valguero

Our grand prize winner is Valguero, made by Nekatus and Buttman, which had a strong showing in both the technical evaluation and the popular vote. This is a beautiful map with a significant degree of polish and the sound effects are on point for immersion, it also features some unique landscape formations that we haven't really seen used in ARK maps before. 

2nd Place - $8,000
Automated ARK

Automated ARK, by Blitzfire911, takes 2nd place. If you have never tried this mod it can take you by surprise, Zen got caught up setting up a manufacturing depot for so long that he forgot what game he was playing for a bit. It's also quite balanced, it doesn't necessarily make things easier as you still have to procure your own resources. It doesn't create items out of thin air, but with some careful planning you can set up whole factories to manufacture your war equipment for you from the resources you bring home.
DEC7B4E203E52ED999FF421DAD8E338B3D04ABB7

3rd Place - $4,000
GunSmoke

GunSmoke County, courtesy of CaseFase5, is an interesting creation. Not only is it a map but also a small series of mods that support it. From gallows to pianolas, if you like RP and old wild west movies then this is one you may want to check out. If you aren't into RP this map is still a quite realistic landscape of a temperate desert that was fun to explore. Gunsmoke gets to make a solid claim for 3rd place.

4th Place - $1,000
Primal Fear

Pikkon38 has created a quite massive overhaul mod over the last couple of years. Primal Fear secures 4th place with a pretty impressive showing. It completely changes the balance and progression of the game. Primal Fear was also the winner of the popular vote by a significant margin, a lot of players have come to love this mod.

large.PrimalFear.jpg

New Sponsored Mods!

As a result of our new application process for the Sponsored Mod Program, we have chosen two projects to add to our roster starting today!

Malfunktion is a creation by Exilog, our first returnee to the program. This map is based on The Island and he is crafting a story for the map based off of the core story of ARK. The landscape of this map, while interesting to see the original island impacted by the passage of time and atmospheric problems, is not the focus of the mod. This is an ARK that is suffering from severe malfunctions, its power being drained by technology. From a sudden loss of gravity and oxygen shortages to having to find shelter in protective domes dotting the map, this was an interesting experience that provided some pretty intense surprises.
large.Malfunktion_NoLogo.jpg

ARK Additions is brought to us by Garuga123. This is one of the few examples of new unique creatures being made by the community, with custom models, materials, animations, and quirks. These are polished creatures that take a long time to craft and perfect. What this mod lacks in terms of quantity is more than made up for in quality, and we are happy to support the continued development of these additional creatures.

large.Ark_Additions_Collection.jpg

We loved seeing the development of skills that the modding community has managed to achieve! As always if you’ve got anything to share you can find us at:

Twitter: twitter.com/survivetheark
Facebook: facebook.com/survivetheark
Reddit: reddit.com/r/playark
Instagram: instagram.com/survivetheark
Twitch: twitch.tv/survivetheark
Steam: steamcommunity.com/app/346110
Youtube: youtube.com/survivetheark

All the best,
Studio Wildcard

View full article

6 hours ago, jesterx said:
  • Map completion 77% Surface 
  • 0% Aberration
  • 0% Underground Ocean

Wish I could turn in a project less than 3/4 done and win first prize in something.

441 Unique Visitors 51 Current Subscribers 19 Current Favorites

Wish one of my mods become sponsored with the same stats ?

Thanks WC, fair as always. I would not be surprised if it will be the same as in the past contests and most of the mods-winners will be simply deleted by their authors (same as was with Ark moon, tribe wars, pirate world and etc.).

• Thanks 1

I see ARK Additions may have used a raptor model that anyone can buy on Truong CD Artist website (the modder's own work here could be new feathers, but the base mesh may not be his work) . If it is that model, I wonder if the modder purchased correct license that allows him getting financial profits by using that model in his project (personal use /non-commericial license costs 11$, but the commercial one costs a few times more). 

Edited by Lewiatan

I'd better have ARK additions 's creatures on PS4 than creatures from Extinction. Modders are listening to the community while devs are just loosing themselves with scifi ridiculous maps and creatures.

The new giant sloth is like the worst possible result based on this creature. It's like a 3yo kid draw it and they made it 3D, you barely detect that it's meant to be a sloth. Why not something that looks more like a real one, like the Fallout one (waaaay better)? Same with velosaur, why not a cryolophosaur or another real dino without the mechanical mutant parts... wasted. 

They always have bad ideas about DLCs, they should only implement mods into their game instead of doing those bad DLCs, the game would be way better. 

Thanks god there is a new Fallout that look awesome, I just hope Extinction will fail and they'll stop their crazy scifi focus once for all. 

Edited by DarkRaptor13

I wish the video editor had actually shown the map instead of doing the whole "oh look at THIS epic spot on the map". I have zero clue as to how the map is laid out and no interest in playing on it. Ragnarok was a map made the exact same way. A good looking spot here and there but the overall map was just big to be big :/

7 hours ago, DarkRaptor13 said:

I'd better have ARK additions 's creatures on PS4 than creatures from Extinction. Modders are listening to the community while devs are just loosing themselves with scifi ridiculous maps and creatures.

If Wildcard implemented any of those creatures into the game, I'd be truly disappointed in their lack of imagination. That's why it's a mod because nobody would like them in the actual game. A slow turtle. Never going to use it after the first try. More fish to ignore? The water part of ARK is bad, no point in it. Another Microraptor, no thanks. And a bigger croc.
You're a perfect example of who not to hire as a person in charge of which creatures go in the game.

Shoutout to the modder, though. The quality is very high.

7 hours ago, DarkRaptor13 said:

Thanks god there is a new Fallout that look awesome, I just hope Extinction will fail and they'll stop their crazy scifi focus once for all. 

Sounds like you missed the entire point of ARK from day 1. They won't ever stop with the scifi because it's what makes ARK what it is. Go play Fallout, you sound like a real scifi hater. I hope Fallout 76 will continue to fail :) 

Edited by HighFlyer15

not mad at the picks, but the fact that primal fear was selected as 3rd place is kind of meh, I was led to believe that this contest was for mods that you could actually see in normal ark, nothing over the top with godlike critters and such. it is a fun mod, nonetheless, but it could use some serious work. hopefully this will encourage pikkon to keep working on his mod and fix certain things, such as oversized primals having the glitchiest animations, that are rather immersion breaking in my opinion.

On 11/3/2018 at 6:13 AM, DarkRaptor13 said:

The new giant sloth is like the worst possible result based on this creature. It's like a 3yo kid draw it and they made it 3D, you barely detect that it's meant to be a sloth. Why not something that looks more like a real one, like the Fallout one (waaaay better)? Same with velosaur, why not a cryolophosaur or another real dino without the mechanical mutant parts... wasted. 

They always have bad ideas about DLCs, they should only implement mods into their game instead of doing those bad DLCs, the game would be way better. 

also, the megatherium is a real creature, long extinct. ARK has always been a sci fi game, if you hadn't noticed the metal implants and the giant metal obelisks since launch of early access.

On 11/3/2018 at 7:42 PM, HighFlyer15 said:

I wish the video editor had actually shown the map instead of doing the whole "oh look at THIS epic spot on the map". I have zero clue as to how the map is laid out and no interest in playing on it. Ragnarok was a map made the exact same way. A good looking spot here and there but the overall map was just big to be big :/

If Wildcard implemented any of those creatures into the game, I'd be truly disappointed in their lack of imagination. That's why it's a mod because nobody would like them in the actual game. A slow turtle. Never going to use it after the first try. More fish to ignore? The water part of ARK is bad, no point in it. Another Microraptor, no thanks. And a bigger croc.
You're a perfect example of who not to hire as a person in charge of which creatures go in the game.

Shoutout to the modder, though. The quality is very high.

Sounds like you missed the entire point of ARK from day 1. They won't ever stop with the scifi because it's what makes ARK what it is. Go play Fallout, you sound like a real scifi hater. I hope Fallout 76 will continue to fail :) 

Scifi can be awesome but in ARK it just feel like they are overexploiting the scifi style. 

The idea to have hybrids inspired by prehistoric creatures is great, that's the JP style. Some tek armor and weapons were great additions, the scifi was well included at this time in a logical way.

But now... hybrids based on real modern/extinct creatures, that got mutated, then got mechanical-element parts like robots and then got turned into zombies by a venom-like resources. What's next, they'll got magical time-traveling ability, mega-evolutions or super sayan mode and you'll be able to fusion them ?