Are Cryopods the answer to PvE tame cap?

Midnight_

On 10/26/2018 at 8:19 AM, Churchlady said:

Eggs. Why is no one talking about eggs? Half the dinos in most bases are for kibble. Frozen dinos gonna lay little ice cubed eggs for us? If not, I'll not be putting them into cryo. Yeah, I've got some dinos I can freeze, but many that I cannot afford to.

Also xp gain. Do our frozen dinos gain xp just by sitting around in the base like their un-popcicled brethren? Who's got time to level a ton of soakers? Just pop em all and do your normal thing, they'll gain a ton of xp before long. Unless they're on ice?? 

IDK if it will be in my best interest to freeze many dinos.

I hope you aren't near cap with an egg-farm...  If a Survivor has 19 Pachycephalosaurus not because they love Pachys, but because they want 25+ eggs daily for Paracer taming, they should try to be a little more patient.  A kibble farm for imprints (island imprints, so 15 kibble possible) is 45 dinos with one male and 2 female, which is sometimes even excessive to have 2 females.  Every single kind of imprint kibble is 24 different kinds, except you can't mate Rock Drakes for eggs, so really 23 * 3 which is 69 dinos for a 1:2 m:f ratio.  Leaves a lot of room in a tribe for pure-enthusiast tames and/or boss squads.

But either way:  The cryopods sound good, and it's nice that they are trying to solve the PvE tamecap issue with cool tech (pun, get it??), but it won't work.  Tribes will just be able to precisely control the tamecap to limit breeding and force people to buy for RMT or ingots...  Though that is a supremely negative viewpoint, so I'm hoping I am wrong.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I haven't seen/heard it myself but a friend told me you can only have 70something of them at a time, is that true? Also, as far as I understand it, freezing a tame will open one slot on the server, which in turn means that in order to unfreeze it, an open slot on the server is required. Taking that further, in order to keep them from spoiling, a TEK generator is required to power the cryo fridge.

To sum it up:
- no access to element = no way to power a cryo fridge
- no cryo fridge = frozen dinos will spoil sooner or later
- unfreezing dinos requires free tame slots = high risk of not being able to unfreeze before the cryo pod spoils
... so WHY would anyone use them anyway?

Plus, if it's true, only being able to have 70something dinos frozen as max at a time won't change anything, with tribes having hundreds and thousands of tames distributed over several servers, and even freezing tames on each of the servers would require a tek gen and element to power it on each of them, making the effort exceed the gain by far.

Seeing it from a WC point of view where PvP is everything and PvE doesn't matter at all, this makes sense - just storing away 800 tames as backup would make it too easy.

BUT. For PvE, it MUST work differently in order to make the pods useful (AND USED by players):
- Pods either not spoiling at all, or not spoiling when placed in a regular fridge, or cryo fridge powered by a regular gen or wind turbine
- unlimited amount of pods storeable

I'd happily freeze at least half of my dinos if it were feasible. I'm alone in my tribe since my tribemates quit playing and I'm not too fond of feeding them all the time to keep them alive hoping that my tribemates will come back some day. Since I'm alone and we ALL know what can happen when you go into boss fights alone (or even with allies that can't command my tames IF I get kicked or not ported in...), I haven't got any reliable access to element. So, I'll just have to keep feeding. Left alone that "half of my tames" are a FEW more than 70something...

I really hope there will be some adjustments to how the pods work on PvE. There's potential, but not with the way they're going to be as of now.

Yeah, they shouldn't make the cryopods that high maintenance.

To solve the tame-cap a bit, it should be easier. 

Even if 'Cryo' is more sophisticated and should be in the tek tier.

Having it depent on element, makes the item absolete and the tame-cap will stay on most-to-all servers.

But, we'll see tomorrow when it goes life, how long the pods last in a normal fridge, if it's only one week, than the cryopods won't 

be picked up anymore after a week of extinction. 

On 11/3/2018 at 4:09 PM, RageQuitter said:

The thread is about official PvE and a solution to the tame cap, if you don't like the tame times then go on an unofficial with boosted rates, usually no tame cap to worry about and not as many kibble dinos needed anyway, nothing is forcing anybody to play on official rates, if they were boosted then the tame cap problem would be even worse

Not really. The thread is more about Crypods fixing tame cap, not the actual tame cap issue. Stop trying to make my comments only about me when I specifically mention other players. It makes little sense. Official Server boost their rates almost every weekend and that when most players do the bulk of their taming proving that they do not like the rates either. Just because something is designed a specific way does not mean it should be. No one is forcing you to be on the forums to say non-sense either. Tame cap will not be any worse only worse temporarily. You are arguing about the speed at which cap happens which is not relevant. If players continue to stay on a server and play then they will eventually tame cap them. 5500 Dino's is not many Dino especially when a server allows 70+ players on it. The constant complaining for WC to harass players was only an attempt at a band-aid. The only real fixes had to come in the form of something like the Cyropod. 

20 minutes ago, Cinnamongod said:

Not really. The thread is more about Crypods fixing tame cap, not the actual tame cap issue. Stop trying to make my comments only about me when I specifically mention other players. It makes little sense. Official Server boost their rates almost every weekend and that when most players do the bulk of their taming proving that they do not like the rates either. Just because something is designed a specific way does not mean it should be. No one is forcing you to be on the forums to say non-sense either. Tame cap will not be any worse only worse temporarily. You are arguing about the speed at which cap happens which is not relevant. If players continue to stay on a server and play then they will eventually tame cap them. 5500 Dino's is not many Dino especially when a server allows 70+ players on it. The constant complaining for WC to harass players was only an attempt at a band-aid. The only real fixes had to come in the form of something like the Cyropod. 

What are you on fella?

I replied to someone's post about S+ vivariums, which are the perfect solution by the way as they remove all dinos from the tame limit but produce eggs without having to sit in your base all day waiting for them to drop, they're just a bit too op in their current state as you get 2 eggs per female per hour guaranteed, I ended up with that much kibble after 3 or 4 days that 2x was too easy plus you don't need to feed the dinos in them, they just need a bit of tweaking to make them accessible at mid tier, use current egg laying mechanics instead of guaranteeing them and make food required, then you jumped in complaining that taming speed is the biggest problem, you're the one who brought speed up, if rates are higher then any new servers will hit cap faster that's a fact, they'll hit it anyway even at 1x as that's the way WC have designed the game, no thought whatsoever for technical limitations and the  selfishness of human nature.

You think spending 3 hours of your time makes it way too easy? I can accomplish much more in just about any other game. One of the biggest problems Ark has for some is how long everything takes in this game. 

That's what you said, where did you mention other players? you didn't, then you jump on again spouting more crap without actually reading what I said

Cryopods won't help tame cap, especially if they decay without tek generators which looks like the case at the moment, while there's a need for egg layers to be rendered and a high tribe tame cap the problem won't go away, a permanent storage method that produces eggs and gives passive xp coupled with a hard tribe tame cap of 50 or so is the only sensible solution that will work, even then it will be open to abuse with alt accounts but the storage should help change people's attitudes, I don't like the idea of it but it's the only thing that will fix things and will stop new players from walking away once they realise they can't do nothing thanks to the tame cap

8 hours ago, RageQuitter said:

What are you on fella?

I replied to someone's post about S+ vivariums, which are the perfect solution by the way as they remove all dinos from the tame limit but produce eggs without having to sit in your base all day waiting for them to drop, they're just a bit too op in their current state as you get 2 eggs per female per hour guaranteed, I ended up with that much kibble after 3 or 4 days that 2x was too easy plus you don't need to feed the dinos in them, they just need a bit of tweaking to make them accessible at mid tier, use current egg laying mechanics instead of guaranteeing them and make food required, then you jumped in complaining that taming speed is the biggest problem, you're the one who brought speed up, if rates are higher then any new servers will hit cap faster that's a fact, they'll hit it anyway even at 1x as that's the way WC have designed the game, no thought whatsoever for technical limitations and the  selfishness of human nature.

They are not OP just because they make getting eggs less tedious and more predictable. They are attempting to fix Ark's broken and inconsistent mechanics. Getting a lot of kibble fast happens already with players getting it from other players usually by whining and begging for it.  Having a lot of eggs does not equal kibble though as you still have to maintain and acquire all the other ingredients as well as produce it. Pretending that getting eggs from a Vivarium is free is dishonest. Vivariums require Tek Generators which use Element. Element by far more expensive than meat and berries. As you admit tame cap will happen anyway so why do you care if it takes a little more time as it is inevitable? The solution to the problem is NOT to make gameplay significantly more painful to artificially slow progress. WC has to be told by its player base to actually fix the problem and years later they are implementing a sorta fix with Cyropods with no thanks to those who kept recommending that they make gameplay worse instead.

I was not complaining I was pointing out a fact. I also never said it was the biggest problem. I said it was one of the biggest problems; big difference. 

8 hours ago, RageQuitter said:

That's what you said, where did you mention other players? you didn't, then you jump on again spouting more crap without actually reading what I said

Cryopods won't help tame cap, especially if they decay without tek generators which looks like the case at the moment, while there's a need for egg layers to be rendered and a high tribe tame cap the problem won't go away, a permanent storage method that produces eggs and gives passive xp coupled with a hard tribe tame cap of 50 or so is the only sensible solution that will work, even then it will be open to abuse with alt accounts but the storage should help change people's attitudes, I don't like the idea of it but it's the only thing that will fix things and will stop new players from walking away once they realise they can't do nothing thanks to the tame cap

Cyropods will improve things but there are still issues I am sure. It is unproductive to solely trash the mechanics especially when WC can just tweak a few aspects of them and they can be phenomenally better. What are you talking about "High tribe tame cap"? Tame caps are artificially low due to server and game constraints. Obviously players are very capable of dealing with many more Dinos they just need WC to properly implement game mechanics that enable players to do so without the negative side effects. "50" Dinos are you serious? That would make the game pointless! You must not have accomplished much on your own and you obviously do not breed Dinos. The past issue was never that players had too many dino's it was that WC allowed to many player per server. If they capped Tribes to 11 per server then every tribe can have the cap of 500 dinos and it will perfectly fit into the server cap of 5500 Dinos. They allow 70 - 100 Tribes per server for financial reasons not for player experience. It helps to understand the real problems so that you are not annoying the forums with irrelevant problems.

remember snail games added this idea there dumb ideas from pixark comming to main ark is a great concern ....
they ban anyone who says anything against them in pixark.... they killed that game they have no idea how to balance they just think all there ideas are the best ideas

bases are still gonna have massive amounts of dinos 
this one thing is not gonna stop server lag at all unless you say put them in cryo or we will dev wipe your dinos......

even with there sleep machanic you can already exploit it

as only one person gets cryo sickness when thrown out
so you wanna throw a bunch of soakers out you just need people 
10 people do a raid 10 people throw dinos timer runs out another 10 dinos

so i love how they think they stoped all exploits but they havent at all

PvE wise requiring tek to power the cryo is gonna make ZERO change to the parked servers - only thing wildcard could do is have a tame cap limited to EACH player and then make that player a permanent one on all pve maps but that is too late with the way the game is already been played, alt accounts 'just start another toon on another server flood that server log in every other day run around with bronto / giga log off' .. cheers parkers ... /sigh - talking official PvE servers too 

bad info does not require a tek gen to power sorry

" requiring tek to power the cryo" Is this true? Did they actually make that kind of choice?!

I have 10k+ hours, and have never taken down an official boss (I was guest in one fight, and that character is on Legacy, so it's moot for my current non-Legacy gameplay). I have no tek generator in all this time. I have my reasons.

So if my choice is betweeen

1) Feeding around 500 dinos on two tame capped servers

2) maintaining a Tek Generator and feed less dinos

I'll take option 1, without a doubt.

Just now, aabaz202 said:

Everyone can relax, it does not require tek to power, and material wise, they are pretty cheap to make. They do need to be crafted in the replicator however. Still, I've been using them and they are handy as raptor. Can even be used to pick up baby dinos.

Thx, good to know it doesn't need a Tek Gen...  Tek Replicator? Welp, that counts me out.

10 minutes ago, aabaz202 said:

If you have a buddy, they can make them for you. The cryopods are re-useable. So you can throw a pod with a dino and then immediately pick it back up with the same pod

My tribemate doesnt know Tek either. Getting it from others on the server, I am very uncomfortable joining their boss fights.

Wildcard probably knows some players wont go into Boss fights. They seem to cater to those who do. I was hoping the cryo freezing wont require any degree of Tek (since it was their fix for tame caps). I'm disapointed that Tek is involved.

Now, if they make a way for players to gain Tek Engrams, without getting into boss fights, that would impress me, and I would go do it, as long as it didnt involve high stress/tense situations.

I'd  be happy to farm for 3 days worth of time, over going to a boss anyday. If getting Tek engrams has to be difficult, farming for a very very long time seems to be my level of difficult, and something that most adrenaline lovers loathe. I gotta watch my stress levels, which has a pretty low tolerance threshold.... I have been to therapy to increase my tolerance threshold, which works wonders, and was not cheap. I still cant handle boss fights without real life health risks.

I still choose feeding my 500 dinos over freezing, due to the requirements to freeze them.

5 minutes ago, aabaz202 said:

If you can craft them at city terminals, you won’t need a replicator. Just gotta hop on to extinction.

When you said craft them earlier, I thought you meant crafting a replicator in a terminal. I apologize for misunderstanding.

If I can craft cryo patters in a terminal, then that'd work for me.

3 hours ago, BigmacSmallFries said:

they should make it so anyoen can craft them in there cause some solo people dont get tek
and no one on small tribes will take me on a boss run to get my engrams

Why not?  All bosses on easy can be defeated solo no problem. Even alpha for monkey, manticore or brood can be done solo. 

Ragnarok medium is very doable solo. And I’m betting you can get a few folks in to help. 

How people have progressed this far without tek is baffling. Might as well go play on prim servers...

1 hour ago, flamron said:

Why not?  All bosses on easy can be defeated solo no problem. Even alpha for monkey, manticore or brood can be done solo.

How people have progressed this far without tek is baffling. Might as well go play on prim servers... 

For me, It is very risky! No fun whatsoever! I could lose tames. Adrenaline causes me pain, and boss fights pump that painful stuff into my system from just watching a video of someone else doing the fight. Just the thought of it makes me tremble.

How people think boss fights are fun is baffling to me. They might as well go play Fortnite.

2 hours ago, GreenRoc said:

For me, It is very risky! No fun whatsoever! I could lose tames. Adrenaline causes me pain, and boss fights pump that painful stuff into my system from just watching a video of someone else doing the fight. Just the thought of it makes me tremble.

How people think boss fights are fun is baffling to me. They might as well go play Fortnite.

And the opposite thought - if you can’t/won’t run bosses, you might as well go play Minecraft. 

Not quite. But man tek makes this game so much easier. I will never raise dinos on regular troughs with fast spoilage again. Sleeping pods allow XP gains while offline. Tek structures give you more time to render. Tek suits change cave difficulty exponentially. 

13 hours ago, flamron said:

Ragnarok medium is very doable solo. And I’m betting you can get a few folks in to help. 

well having a army of dinos is hard to hide solo ;)

with these pods maybe i can hide boss rexs cause im a solo hermet its very hard and no one is kind unless you offering to take me on some boss runs

9 hours ago, BigmacSmallFries said:

well having a army of dinos is hard to hide solo ;)

with these pods maybe i can hide boss rexs cause im a solo hermet its very hard and no one is kind unless you offering to take me on some boss runs

If you’re on PS4 PVE, you’re welcome to join us on a monkey or brood adventure. ;)

Archived