Are Cryopods the answer to PvE tame cap?

Midnight_

That is what the devs have told us.

Survivor Caleb asks, "Is the dev team currently working on a long-term solution to improve the quality of life/tame cap issues on PVE? If so, could the team provide us with some details?"

Quote We think that Cryopods coming in Extinction should help with this problem directly. When a creature has been captured into a Cryopod, it does not count against the tame cap of the server. In addition, Cryopods can be kept forever in a Cryofridge with power, arming players with a powerful tool to work around the limitations of the cap.

That is the ONLY solution they outlined when asked. So will it work? Will all servers tame cap go away forever within a few months after the release of Extinction and not return because of the cryopods?

For those who may not know what a cryopod is:
https://ark.gamepedia.com/Cryopod_(Extinction)

The Cryopod is an object that will be added to the game with the upcoming DLC, Extinction

Overview[edit | edit source]

The Cryopod will be intended for the player to freeze tames into an "ice cube" state, which enables them not only to save up tame limit within their tribe, but also carriable in the player's inventory [1]. The pods are heavy, and will slowly degrade over time, unless it is placed in a powered Blank.png Cryofridge Extinction Icon.png, yet they provides an easier way of transportation and trading on tames. As they are an item, anyone with the cube can claim the creature trapped inside the Cryopod.

A tame can be frozen in a Cryopod by using it on a tamed Creature for a few seconds while standing still. After a Cryopod has been thrown out, the player will receive a Status Effect known as Cryo Cooldown. Any Creatures summoned during Cryo Cooldown will have Cryo Sickness.

When a Cryopod contains a Creature, it will then start to decay. The Preserving Bin.png Preserving Bin and the Refrigerator.png Refrigerator can slow down their decay timer, but the Blank.png Cryofridge will permanently halt and restore the decay timer as long as it is powered.

The Cryopod cannot be used in caverns where specific Creatures are restricted (examples are Rex inside Grave of the Tyrants, but other creatures like Ravager and Thylacoleo can).

• will NOT be tek
  • will NOT require a boss fight to unlock
  • will Defineatly be only a level requirement to unlock it - lvl 88 (source thick freedom vid)
  • will be a map specific engram like say the boomerang is for SE. 
  • will give xp to dinos stored (much like tek sleeping pods do for humans)
  • Will store dinos with saddles still equiped
  • will heal and feed stored dinos

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not if the acquisition, building cost, and upkeep are high. If they are going to require a fuel like element to power them then for most this will change absolutely nothing. Also if these are Tek Engram unlocks then it depends which Bosses they are locked behind. Will we have to go to Extinction to unlock them? If so then they would be locked behind DLC that many may not buy. If they are available to unlock in all map boss fights then putting it behind something like the Hard Mode Dragon fight will make it completely inaccessible to most. They could easily mess this one up and unfortunately most likely will. They are going to want players to spend on the new DLC but hopefully, they realize that the QOL change will be important for all players and servers.

• Volunteer Moderator
3 hours ago, Cinnamongod said:

Not if the acquisition, building cost, and upkeep are high. If they are going to require a fuel like element to power them then for most this will change absolutely nothing. Also if these are Tek Engram unlocks then it depends which Bosses they are locked behind. Will we have to go to Extinction to unlock them? If so then they would be locked behind DLC that many may not buy. If they are available to unlock in all map boss fights then putting it behind something like the Hard Mode Dragon fight will make it completely inaccessible to most. They could easily mess this one up and unfortunately most likely will. They are going to want players to spend on the new DLC but hopefully, they realize that the QOL change will be important for all players and servers.

They are not locked behind bosses.

Whether they are only unlocked on Extinction or not that is currently unknown.

there no the answer they will be tek level mening you have to mostly beat ext 1st to get them and u have to keep killing boss to upkeep them. it dose lower level tribe and player no good only end game tribe and player and  they cant some how make or encougre player to use them.  for it to work it need ot be a lower level or non tek item or early tek. and they need to do something to make player use it or have them , like idk say you cant trans dino off maps unless there in status cubs and yo have to have a set up to uncube them on the other map.

• Volunteer Moderator
4 minutes ago, jurassicjoey said:

there no the answer they will be tek level mening you have to mostly beat ext 1st to get them and u have to keep killing boss to upkeep them. it dose lower level tribe and player no good only end game tribe and player and  they cant some how make or encougre player to use them.  for it to work it need ot be a lower level or non tek item or early tek. and they need to do something to make player use it or have them , like idk say you cant trans dino off maps unless there in status cubs and yo have to have a set up to uncube them on the other map.

If people do not use them or don't trade them, no.

Really doesn't make sense, its here survivors hope you use this to fix the issues to help your fellow survivors out.. when they aren't even helping us now.

Yes its a game but some people are raised horribly and we have the current issue, honesty is the best policy and sometimes the truth hurts so if this is you, yup..Hi, you suck.

I think that any positive effect of this will be limited by the fact that it will probably be an exctinction unlockable engram and use unique Exctinction resources. Though honestly, they could make this tech unlockable at level 1 across all maps and be craftable using like 1 thatch, and still I recon that the tame limit would be a problem. Player attitude would need to change which is unlikely.

Eggs. Why is no one talking about eggs? Half the dinos in most bases are for kibble. Frozen dinos gonna lay little ice cubed eggs for us? If not, I'll not be putting them into cryo. Yeah, I've got some dinos I can freeze, but many that I cannot afford to.

Also xp gain. Do our frozen dinos gain xp just by sitting around in the base like their un-popcicled brethren? Who's got time to level a ton of soakers? Just pop em all and do your normal thing, they'll gain a ton of xp before long. Unless they're on ice?? 

IDK if it will be in my best interest to freeze many dinos.

1 hour ago, Churchlady said:

Eggs. Why is no one talking about eggs? Half the dinos in most bases are for kibble. Frozen dinos gonna lay little ice cubed eggs for us? If not, I'll not be putting them into cryo. Yeah, I've got some dinos I can freeze, but many that I cannot afford to.

Also xp gain. Do our frozen dinos gain xp just by sitting around in the base like their un-popcicled brethren? Who's got time to level a ton of soakers? Just pop em all and do your normal thing, they'll gain a ton of xp before long. Unless they're on ice?? 

The tame cap is mostly a PVE issure tho, whereas soaking dinos are for PVP

I think the Cryopods will help a lot, BUT will need also a change on game mechanics/rules, like a limited number of active dinos per tribe / player.

On PVE this will be a huge change, since many solo breeders will be limited to keep a limited number of dinos, so the impact on the servers will be proportional to your tribe size or active  playtime or number of players... for me is the fair way to manage public official servers... letting new players have the same chances to have fun as the old players, for example: 70 slots on a servers will let you have (5000/70) = 71 - 100 active dinos per tribe for example... with a longer decay timer and then aditional dinos that can be released from the cryopod but with short decay timers for raids on PVP mode... or kibble/mating on PVE mode, and no more 300 fems standing on a barn just to get 1 egg from each every 24/36 hrs... or soakers flyers pilleds on caves, just getting XP, but impacting on the server performance.

2 hours ago, Churchlady said:

i agree with you, what about them eggs? we tend to keep 3 of the same dinos male/females for the egg purposes. Which turns into an egg farm, and putting them in cryopod should atleast give the ability to collect these eggs for it to be an efficient cryopod. 

The biggest issue i see with it is when frozen(according to the wiki, which may change) it is removed not just from the server limit but also the tribe limit. So people will freeze 100 dinos and then just tame 100 more. If this is to work they still must count twords tribe cap. But things may still change and were just going to have to find out on release.

The more I think about it, the more intriguing it is for me. I’m all for freezing about 400 dinos. But ONLY if I can somewhat easily unfreeze them and freeze them again. 

This clears up cap space, lowers the demand to feed, and will definitely help the base lag. 

I just fear we will have some silly long timer to thaw the dinos out and a silly cool down to freeze them again knowing Wildcard. So it’ll limit how many dinos I will actually freeze. 

3 hours ago, Sphere said:

This is meaningless to me anyway, because the vivariums in S+ are far superior of a machine.

It's way too op though in it's current state, give it the current egg laying mechanics so you need mate & ovi boost and only have a chance of an egg not guaranteed 2 eggs per hour from each female, make it lower tier & run on electricity and it will sort a lot of the problems, player's attitudes would still need to change though so make a low tribe tame cap of 50, should be enough slots for harvesting dinos, a team of boss dinos, transport & some slots for raising babies

To show how op it is at the moment, I spotted a 150 thyla so went back to base and mated all my dinos just for eggs and tamed 3 low level snakes and put them in vivariums, needed 8 eggs on 2x so it probably took me 3 hours max from spotting the thyla to having it in my base, it's a great idea and saves a hell of a lot of space but makes things way too easy

On 10/25/2018 at 9:01 PM, Demerus said:

How about we wait until Extinction releases and find out?

Absolutely. Nothing wrong that that thought process. I will not tell anyone not to wait and see.

My idea here (reason for the post/question) is on the basis of skepticism that this is the only plan stated so far as a solution will have an effect or any at all. It has been release how this new item is expected to work. So no one is jumping the gun as far as the concept of the new item. 

My thoughts are that the cryopods will not be used by the players to help reduce the tame cap or keep it down. It will be used for (most likely I think) to enable tribes to get around the cap while not lowering it.

So what tribes do now which is either kill or upload to the obelisk/transmiter a dino so they can hatch/tame one 
(most big tribes have a number of dodo's, microraptors, sheep (or other similar easy quick or instantly tamable dinos) that are there for the purpose of providing a tribe a "buffer" to use to hatch/tame during times servers are capped (which is almost all the time). So  -1 then +1 with net change cap stays on perpetually. With the cryopod I think the status quo will not change as the new item has no fundamental mechanic to change that status quo. They will instead just freeze one to tame/hatch with the same result. Tame cap will NOT be resolved. In fact things will be worse. The number of tamed dinos will actually increase. We will just add a new pool of dinos in storage adding to the total number of tamed dinos. They just will not count toward the tame cap for the tribe/server. 

This device will be VERY beneficial in many ways. Just not at all for reducing the tame cap. How do I think it will be used ?

• It will help those tribes that want to lower the dino count, because they have difficulty keeping up with feeding tames, without reducing what they have.
  • It will help with trading/selling dinos by making them very easy to carry and the stated mechanic that who ever opens the pod claims the dino within.
  • it MIGHT help getting big dinos in caves they do not normally fit in the entrance of (currently tribes raise baby dinos in the caves as the babies can fit in where adults do not fit - saw a rex in the hard snow cave on the island...yeesh).
  • For PvP I can see it being used to help bring surprise raiding dinos to an enemy base --> BAM! Giga (titan?!?!? ? ) instantly at your base walls/gates!! Wow...maybe a way to have 100 titans tamed at once?!?!? I am sure many ways will come about to exploit this....hope WC has thought of all this. ;) 
  • And many others I have not yet thought of. I am sure well see many cool uses after release. I am excited about this item myself.

Summary: I do not see this new item having any positive (or any at all) effect at all on the tame cap problem for PvE servers. Did I miss anything about how this item is supposed to work? 

MORE IMPORTANTLY I THINK THIS NEW DEVICE WILL MAKE THINGS WORSE (HENCE THE ALL CAPS). RIGHT NOW ONE OF THE BEST CHANGES MADE THAT HELPS LOWER THE CAP WAS TO NO LONGER ALLOW TRIBES TO CLAIM DINOS FROM TIMES THAT EXPIRED. WITH THIS NEW ITEM IT MIGHT ALLOW PEOPLE TO CLAIM DINOS THAT ARE STORED IN THE CRYOPODS!!! (and yes this is said understanding that the stae they find it in is a state that does not effect the tame cap, the idea is that it might allow them to aquire dinos from tribes that quit when at the moment they can not. And they may chose to release them from the pods to add to the cap to instantly fill any gap the expired tribe created by quitting therby negating the positive effect the above stated change made on the tame cap.) (I will be putting this warning in the suggestion thread to hopefully help them stop it before it happens in case they have not thought of it already.)

On 10/26/2018 at 12:38 AM, GP said:

They are not locked behind bosses.

Whether they are only unlocked on Extinction or not that is currently unknown.

No it is known. It IS coming in Extinction as I stated in my OP in this thread:

Survivor Caleb asks, "Is the dev team currently working on a long-term solution to improve the quality of life/tame cap issues on PVE? If so, could the team provide us with some details?"

We think that Cryopods coming in Extinction should help with this problem directly. When a creature has been captured into a Cryopod, it does not count against the tame cap of the server. In addition, Cryopods can be kept forever in a Cryofridge with power, arming players with a powerful tool to work around the limitations of the cap.

That quote is from here: 

On 10/27/2018 at 1:59 PM, GP said:

Read my post again. I did not question whether they were coming in Extinction.

Again the answer is yes. That is what it says. Unless you are interpreting "Coming in extinction" as meaning "coming to ark"? In which case they goofed and need to clarify it.

It reads pretty clear to me. Looks pretty clear that the engram for the cryopod:

• will NOT be tek
  • will NOT require a boss fight to unlock
  • will Defineatly be only a level requirement to unlock it - lvl 88 (source thick freedom vid)
  • will be a map specific engram like say the boomerang is for SE. (edited this. put "likely" in error....clearly what confused GP)

...or maybe they will surprise us with a new way to unlock engrams other than boss fights or level. Which could be interesting....maybe...

Archived