Breeding Projects

SpittaAndretti

I must now have a Ptera of nearly every colour in the game. I guess I probably have over 50 of the bloody things in storage, and that used to be even higher but I started to give them away (bred 300+) as I couldnt be arsed to store them anymore.

I did look out for a completely white Albino version last night.. didnt see any though :(

Still grinding my way up the tiers in SP, but I do have the following breeding projects planned:

Spinos - Always and forever. I plan to conquer all maps/bosses, so I will have regular and aberrant lines with colors and stats. I always breed spinos because they're my all time favorite Ark animal.

Barys - Mini-spinos, primarily for caving. Definitely want to get some colors on them too.

Pelagornis - Yes, the crappy not-a-ptera midgame seaplane bird everyone ignores. It fits perfectly with my theme, I've never had one before and after some reading it definitely needs some breeding help to be decent. Lower melee than the ptera and no barrel roll, but higher HP and stam. Plus water landings and organic polymer farming. I'm gonna build a stats line just to see what it does and maybe get some cool stormy- or sea-colored mutations. Probably very difficult as they only use 2 color regions.

Icthyornis - I am not a fan of these flying pegos at all. But, like the pelagornis they do fit in with my theme, and given my current obsession with piscavores they will be immensely useful. Does anyone even bother breeding stats into these? I usually do on all animals, but mostly I just want some colors.

Theris - My boss fight animals of choice. I am just not a huge fan of Ark rexes. They are much better now, but my old feelings remain. I may also do some megatherium for broodmother, we'll see.

Not sure what else to do. I usually get stuck in a rut breeding the same animals over and over again, even though there's so many in game now. I also don't like recreating things I've already done before, like my "Indominous Allo" project that's long gone on a server that was shut down over a year ago. We'll see where whim takes me as I progress. I think I'll be occupied for quite awhile with these anyway.

I finished my rex line recently just adding in a rex here n there currently 317 is highest hatch with no mutations. 

Also working on Argys im capped at the moment at 285 for what its worth,  love them so far.

Next up is my cave vulture flock, 45ish pt melee food and HP capped at 230 but i dont need for torpor.

And last that im rasing are tek quetz, perfect baby will be 310 most stats are 55+. 

The only HUGE issue im having right now is randomly my baby dinos will stop eating from troughs and starve to death which is bullpoop because time wise the dino is well over 10% and it just dies. 

I've started on Aberration to get away from the tame cap issue in Rag, so I started breeding bulbdogs attempting to get superdogs that have high charge capacity so I will never have to worry about charge light on my adventures. I wanted to do the same with Shinehorns but a string of bad luck has done away with them.

Currently planning to breed cave Ravagers to make artifact and cave drop farming easier, so I'll see where that goes.

Back on Rag I've got a couple Theris I am breeding to work towards mutating boss Theris. But being caught up in Aberration I just have a bunch of eggs spoiling away, waiting to hatch.

Also I was tirelessly hunting Argys to tame and bring home to my female Argys, but every male knocked down has had abysmal stats, both pre tame and post tame. My goal is just breeding for weight and stamina, so I have a nimble flyer to be my beast of burden. The weight reduction clearly blows the Quetzal I have out of the water, so I dont think I'll worry too much about the Quetz.

@Ashleigh  I snooped a bit and worked out that you play on officials. I won't get into the unofficial vs official debate, but that's definitely a challenging situation. I work with drivers (I'm a dispatcher!) and I know how hard you guys work every day. Most of my guys are unhappy if they're only working a standard 8 hour day lol, means they aren't making money.

I'm not sure how experienced you are with the game, so forgive me if my suggestions are already being used as I don't know what else to suggest. If you aren't going for max stat perfect combat animals, try breeding food and weight stats into all your lines. I noticed this issue when I was breeding lower level sheep, had one die before I could put any food in it because of its low, low stats. Yet I had no issue with any other sheep I bred from all higher level parents. A higher food stat will make it take longer to zero out, and a higher weight will help them carry more food, making it harder for them to starve.

Also if you don't already, mass produce dodo kibble to use as their primary food while you're away. It won't spoil like raw or cooked and with higher food/weight stats, will help keep them alive much, much longer.

The other suggestion I have is a little less conventional, but since you're on an official there are always people online. If you know anyone outside of your tribe fairly well, maybe ask them if they can help you by acting as a "nanny" and checking on your babies while you're working. I was and still am primarily a solo player and I can't tell you how many times I helped my non-tribed friends raise babies. They would put down an unlocked trough somewhere I could access and I would periodically do a meat/berry run and fill the trough up during the day when I was home and they weren't. If you don't know anyone that well you could try hiring help, but that's more risky and the main reason to set up a trough specifically for the nanny to use, so your main food stock isn't affected if someone decides to be a troll and dump it all. Even on a small friendly unofficial that's happened...every server has to have their communal troll I guess, and it's not always the village idiot you would expect it to be. Anyway.

The only other suggestion I can make is to only raise larger/higher base stat animals while you're working and raise the smaller animals on your days off, when you can safely see them through baby and well into juvie stage before having to leave them unattended. i used to build up a whole bunch of eggs all incubated down during the week and then throw them all down on weekends to do a mass raise. It worked since I was breeding for stats and colors and ended up killing probably 80-90% of them off anyway lol. It took ages to get this one and the animals are long gone after the server shut down, but it's still my favorite completed project so far, the Indominous Allo:

indominous_allo_bred.thumb.jpg.f382c5783e2a1e7baa8e27c212ab6b9f.jpg

Was done well before event colors were a thing, so it's all natural colors painstakingly bred from wild stock and then bred for stats.

On 10/30/2018 at 7:29 PM, yekrucifixion187 said:

I have had both ways too.

KO'd an Argy with 1080 stam pre-tame, decent so gave it a shot and popped up with 1560. Real good.

Other day KO'd an Argy with 704 weight, 38 points. Stood up with 784 (10 levels distributed). That made me a little sad to be honest. Lol. 704 at knock down is easiest the highest wild stat I've seen from my some 500 Argy's I've knocked out.

Sadly kibble is finite and despite looking often, I never find someone I can consistently trade with for it in PS4 so I tend to limit what I tame to the high pre-tame stats to better my odds. Taking more calculated risks on taming events.

Will be taming a lot during Extra life to see what I can find to better my clean base.

Don't you breed the Tek Stegos?  I have a few but don't take the eggs. I have no use for them on aberration.

My last project was the "venom" ankylo. Shiny green horns on a red body. Now I got a male and female of it for much eggs. 451 melee too. 

My other project of my magenta Spino is a little bit stocking. I don't have the time to breed often. I have a few magenta but not yet with the high melee from my best spinos. 

PS_Messages_20181024_084937.jpg

PS_Messages_20181025_224925.jpg

PS_Messages_20180811_223859.jpg

16 minutes ago, Jay1077 said:

Don't you breed the Tek Stegos?  I have a few but don't take the eggs. I have no use for them on aberration.

My last project was the "venom" ankylo. Shiny green horns on a red body. Now I got a male and female of it for much eggs. 451 melee too. 

My other project of my magenta Spino is a little bit stocking. I don't have the time to breed often. I have a few magenta but not yet with the high melee from my best spinos. 

PS_Messages_20181024_084937.jpg

PS_Messages_20181025_224925.jpg

PS_Messages_20180811_223859.jpg

Nah. I raised a few tek stego's but after beating Rockwell I'm only holding onto them to see if they have an additional use on Extinction. I know someone tamed 8k hp so I could always trade for that if I need to up my Stego game. I have 3 females and 1 male so I use that to get some eggs but I'm mostly out hunting once the dino's I'm raising are holding enough food so egg drops aren't caught. 

Nice Spino definitely. 

Archived