Mid game tips?

Ubelluris

I’m level 57, single player, not doing too much at the moment. I’ve got a pteranodon, stegosaurus, therizinosaurus, and a few other little things. My base is OK, doesn’t really have to be amazing considering I am on single player with little dangerous carnivores nearby. I have tried doing the lower south cave multiple times, all have ended with either me dying or my dinosaur(s) dying. I have been wanting to explore the ocean but every time I try to tame an ichthyosaurus it takes the fish meat and swims away. I have no idea how I could make an underwater trap to lure it into. Any tips? Should I tame more dinosaurs? I used to have a few carnos but they were killed. I’m trying to get to level 62 so I can tame an argentavis, I’m hoping to be able to transport metal in bigger loads. At the moment I can only take my pteranodon out to get like, a maximum of 50-60 metal per-trip. Tips on how I should continue are very much appreciated!

Where do you live? Location is key. Try moving to harder areas such as the clearing outside Middle Chamber Cave, or to the secret lake which is easily defendable and close to: snow for wolves, fars peak for metal and ocean for sea tames. Regarding caves. Go to the snow bring lots of sleeping bags (fur Armour also recommended!) and use a bow to knock and tame a dire wolf. They are amazing tames, easy to tame with a bow due to its short reload time, runs at fantastic speeds can do brutal amounts of damage and are easy to breed and imprint. Along with this they are savage cave runners.

Good luck,

-Cap 

8 minutes ago, CaptainSaltyYT said:

Where do you live? Location is key. Try moving to harder areas such as the clearing outside Middle Chamber Cave, or to the secret lake which is easily defendable and close to: snow for wolves, fars peak for metal and ocean for sea tames. Regarding caves. Go to the snow bring lots of sleeping bags (fur Armour also recommended!) and use a bow to knock and tame a dire wolf. They are amazing tames, easy to tame with a bow due to its short reload time, runs at fantastic speeds can do brutal amounts of damage and are easy to breed and imprint. Along with this they are savage cave runners.

Good luck,

-Cap 

Hilariously, that's exactly what i did XD

Dire wolves and sabertooths are pretty cheap to tame too, go out with a shotgun for protection, and some tranq arrows and you're set. chuck a bola at one you like, shotgun the others, and get taming. If you want to have it tame faster, nearby mammoths and argies provide prime meat.
Also, get an anky. they are really nice for harvesting metal. 
Hope this helps!

anky / argent is definitely meta for me right now for metal runs. I love that the argent can carry the anky and a rider; plus gets reduced weight on ingots like the anky does so you can bring in loads. I've got my argents at about 10K weight and can bring in enough to fill 2 indy forges in about 30 minutes. For caves I have an asc saddle blueprint (140-ish armor) for my sabertooth so they really would be better for it but I'm in love with my wolf pack so I usually take them, lol

Thanks for all the great tips! My location right now is far west of the lower south cave. I will definitely look into getting a dire wolf and a saber tooth. (Probably more than one.) Though I am concerned because they are usually in packs rather than alone. (at least the dire wolf, no idea for the saber) Once again, thank you for the great tips and I will try moving to the north eastern part of the island! 

Also, if I plan on trying to tame an ichthyosaurus again, should I just look up videos on how to build a trap?

14 minutes ago, Ubelluris said:

Thanks for all the great tips! My location right now is far west of the lower south cave. I will definitely look into getting a dire wolf and a saber tooth. (Probably more than one.) Though I am concerned because they are usually in packs rather than alone. (at least the dire wolf, no idea for the saber) Once again, thank you for the great tips and I will try moving to the north eastern part of the island! 

Also, if I plan on trying to tame an ichthyosaurus again, should I just look up videos on how to build a trap?

So here's what you do. Go into the snow and build a 1X1 hut with a bed, a fire, and a storage box for warmth. Then build close to it 6 foundations (2 rows of 3) with 2 floors of door frames surrounding it. After this is done put ramps around it. Then put all your goods in the storage box and find a wolf pack. When you get their attention run towards your trap, up the ramps, and out the door frames. The whole pack will follow you in and get stuck. Repeat and respawn as necessary. Once they're in there you can leisurely kill the weak ones and knock out the ones you like. Make sure it's made of stone though because they can break wood and thatch.

as far as the ichthy; just don't do it. Go straight for megalodons for first water tame. Those dolphins are garbage. Also; frogs, gators, and jumpy-gators make great water mounts.... hell, I'd almost pick a turtle over the dolphin.

16 minutes ago, KrakenOverlord said:

So here's what you do. Go into the snow and build a 1X1 hut with a bed, a fire, and a storage box for warmth. Then build close to it 6 foundations (2 rows of 3) with 2 floors of door frames surrounding it. After this is done put ramps around it. Then put all your goods in the storage box and find a wolf pack. When you get their attention run towards your trap, up the ramps, and out the door frames. The whole pack will follow you in and get stuck. Repeat and respawn as necessary. Once they're in there you can leisurely kill the weak ones and knock out the ones you like. Make sure it's made of stone though because they can break wood and thatch.

as far as the ichthy; just don't do it. Go straight for megalodons for first water tame. Those dolphins are garbage. Also; frogs, gators, and jumpy-gators make great water mounts.... hell, I'd almost pick a turtle over the dolphin.

I agree dolphins are trash i remember I first tamed a sarco that spawned south on a tiny island just south of a small metal rich hill (not sure of cords soz) called him steve :) and i was on my way to getting around the map at amazing speed. He was my favorite mount. Then the jellyfish came...  well its all good, tamed another one and led a peliso to the cave just east of the iceberg. Easiest pleiso tame new fav water mount xD (ofc until i tamed my mosa last week (well I also rly love my tuso but i got no saddle so its pretty pointless apart from oil)) 

1 minute ago, CaptainSaltyYT said:

I agree dolphins are trash i remember I first tamed a sarco that spawned south on a tiny island just south of a small metal rich hill (not sure of cords soz) called him steve :) and i was on my way to getting around the map at amazing speed. He was my favorite mount. Then the jellyfish came...  well its all good, tamed another one and led a peliso to the cave just east of the iceberg. Easiest pleiso tame new fav water mount xD (ofc until i tamed my mosa last week (well I also rly love my tuso but i got no saddle so its pretty pointless apart from oil)) 

the mosa is one of my favorite mounts in ark altogether but the squid is number 1. Once you get one saddled up the ocean is yours for the taking. :D:D

Oh, as for traveling to a new location. How do you suggest I go about this? I plan on moving to hidden lake. Should I just leave all of my dinosaurs  except my flyers? Because I feel as though traveling on land like that would be difficult and dangerous. My base is very far away from hidden lake so transporting some of my items is going to be a pain. 

41 minutes ago, Ubelluris said:

Oh, as for traveling to a new location. How do you suggest I go about this? I plan on moving to hidden lake. Should I just leave all of my dinosaurs  except my flyers? Because I feel as though traveling on land like that would be difficult and dangerous. My base is very far away from hidden lake so transporting some of my items is going to be a pain. 

upload them to a drop and then download them from closer.

1 minute ago, KrakenOverlord said:

upload them to a drop and then download them from closer.

IF drops are a thing in mobile... I'm not sure tbh. If not, start a train. Dino 1 is the pack lead and dino 2 follows dino 1, dino 3 follows dino 2; and so on and so fourth. This will help alleviate the pain of your dinos all getting stuck and bunched onto each other.

There is no drops in mobile but you can request your tames to your new place but it cant bring things this way. I'd reccomend a frog for caves as it can outrun pretty much any creature and can out jump any creature. In addition its really easy to breed and imprint. I would strongly agree to skip the dolphin and go straight for a megalodon. Then, you can find a Basilosaurus and it's an easy passive tame. To stay underwater use Lazarus chowder.

Update for anyone that is curious: The journey was long and I lost a few of my dinosaurs, but it was definitely worth it. The secret lake is a great location. At the moment I just finished building my base and I’m very happy with it. I’m level 62 now and I just tamed an argentavis and it’s already extremely helpful. So for anyone that is looking for a base location, the secret lake is definitely the way to go. Thanks for the tips!

I play solo so I’ve got bases all over the map like @qdzs1. My main, messy, unplanned base is on the big bay in the middle of the southern beaches. This is my only base that’s fully enclosed. I ended up making it big enough to include a small bit of the water. Just enough to drink from and irrigate crops, not enough for access to aquatic tames. A water base will probably be my next endeavour.

My second is on the mainland up near Carno island. Great position for processing metal mined from the mountain.

Ive got a small base with all the essentials on a platform in the red woods and a tiny one on a big rock shelf up in the snow. As well as 3-4 mini bases that are basically just for processing metal

@ScreamingVioletOn the topic of water pens, mine is in in the giant water pool underneath red obelisk. Its great because hardly ever see  creatures spawn inside it and its pre-built, slapped some turrets along the border and put behemoth gates on the drop off from the two rivers into the red obelisk. Its a great spot that surprisingly fits everything, from itchy to tuso its all there :) 

Happy Halloween,

-Cap

(sorry for typos im at school and tryna respond and do maths at same time xD)

• 10 months later...

From a crafting standpoint, the most experience over resource cost method I've found is crafting primitive fishing rods (level 18). If you have a metal sickle (level 30), the process is super easy.  The cost is 50 fiber, 20 thatch, and 12 wood.  It only gives you 18XP per rod, but make 2 and it's the same as killing a carno.  Craft 30 of them and that's like killing 15 carnos.  If you use this method, I recommend gathering the wood last so you're not encumbered. 

Archived