Cryopods in pvp

acat

So with the extinction dlc wildcard will release cryopods, which are basically a dino in form of an item. In your inventory it will decay over time, but if kept in the cryochamber the dinos can be kept forever and dont need food, only the cryochamber needs power. Now the 2 big questions i have about this new mechanic are

1: will it be tek tier?

2: how hard can it be abused in pvp?

I play on orp servers for example and i could just sneak into the enemies base while they are offline,  pop out a rex for example or paracer and bypass all their defenses and start to attack them from the inside once they come online. Just one of the possible scenario of abuse, maybe yall can think of more and share them here in the hope wildcard notices and makes sure it cant happen bevorr they release the cryopods ?

• Volunteer Moderator

There would be an easy solution to that, as it is a cryopod that would suggest it is a structure of sorts, as it's a pod. Therefore maybe to release a dino from it you need to place the cryopod down on the ground, therefore meaning you can't do it inside someone's base. But of course we don't know much about how it works yet.

Also not sure what tier it is, but it is not an engram/tekgram that is unlocked by beating bosses.

The other big questions you need to ask is what happens if you destroy someone elses cryofridge? Do the dinos pop out, and if so what happens if the server is capped. Also, what happens if you have loads of dinos in a cryofridge and you want to pop some out yourself but the server is at tame cap? Because at some point servers will cap again, not in all cases, but in many.

• Volunteer Moderator
36 minutes ago, ForzaProiettile said:

Surely if you destroy it the dinos will comes out as item boxes rather then dinos. This is a good idea to reduce server lag, there are plenty of bases that have hundreds of dinos laying about doing sfa but at the same time generating lag.

Hopefully they would come out as bags/boxes, but it's currently unknown as to how it will work specifically. And yes it is a good idea to reduce server lag, however, it also as I mentioned comes down to whether people chose to use them. If there are tribes with lots of dinos but don't want other players building up, yes there are many servers like that, then obviously they would chose not to use them.

• Volunteer Moderator
31 minutes ago, Sphere said:

I wonder if it will still consume dinosaur slots for the server.

Because if not, then it's going to be hilarious when people can't use their own dinosaurs anymore because of server caps.

Cryopods will not use dino slots, so yes there will be an issue of when a server reaches tame cap again then any dinos in cryopods are unlikely to be retrieved. However, players still have the option of adding another of their dinos into a cryopod and quickly remove the one they want. But yeah there will be issues to a degree, but in a lot of cases it will help.

• Volunteer Moderator
27 minutes ago, Carnasty said:

So say someone has 200 dinos in cryopods and it caps. They then release them, that will become a major strain, and not only that, but you're then negative 200 to open cap back up... so pretty much say goodbye to ever getting uncapped again. I think this is going to cause more harm then good unfortunately. 

Or, they could apply logic that says if there is no room in the cap, the dino stays in the cryopod.

6 hours ago, GP said:

Cryopods will not use dino slots, so yes there will be an issue of when a server reaches tame cap again then any dinos in cryopods are unlikely to be retrieved. However, players still have the option of adding another of their dinos into a cryopod and quickly remove the one they want. But yeah there will be issues to a degree, but in a lot of cases it will help.

Pretty sure the servers fill up quickly. So I don't see how it will help at all.

Seeing as how downloading dinos from an obelisk has like a 10% chance to have the dino disappear... I don't look forward to any items which involve dinos being removed/added from the world... Also, mechanics like this usually get abused by latency hacks to cause dupes. One of the most annoying bugs(I don't know if they fixed it) that I hated was unequiping/equiping my gear too quickly on a laggy official server would sometimes result in one of the items disappearing... rip dodo helm skin...

Archived