Computer Advice

ScreamingViolet

I’ve really fallen in love with playing ark on mobile, and I’ve tried it on my PS4, but there are a so many things I wish I could change. Things that I think would be achievable via some kind of mod. Most of the things I’d want to change are things I’ve grown to use and love in the mobile version. Things like how it tells you how many tames have heard your whistle command (and how many are ignoring you). Also there are so many cool sounding mods and other maps etc that a pc can have but not a console.

So ive come to the conclusion that it’s time for a new laptop so that I can play and try a bunch of mods and maybe even have a stab at creating some of my own. I also interested in looking further into what’s possible with unReal engine and maybe moving towards that as a possible career goal.

. Which leads me to the question, what should I be looking for in a computer that will be capable of playing ark and creating modsas well as messing about with my own stuff?

And what kind of budget should I be looking at? Maybe even some links to good set ups. I’d love to invest in a top of the line alien ware laptop, but I don’t want to blow that big of a hole in my budget. 

Any advice you can offer me will be greatly appreciated 

• Wildcard Community

I recommend at least the following, you might be able to get by with less depending on what you are doing:
32GB RAM
8+ core processor
Decent GPU: If you can play ARK with it, it's should be fine
500GB SSD specifically for the devkit: This might be a tough one for a laptop, but the devkit take over 100GB of space just on initial installation and it gets much bigger as you make mods. You can install the devkit on an HDD if the SSD is prohibitive, but be aware that it's going to mean vastly longer loading times for everything. 

4 hours ago, ZenRowe said:

I recommend at least the following, you might be able to get by with less depending on what you are doing:
32GB RAM
8+ core processor
Decent GPU: If you can play ARK with it, it's should be fine
500GB SSD specifically for the devkit: This might be a tough one for a laptop, but the devkit take over 100GB of space just on initial installation and it gets much bigger as you make mods. You can install the devkit on an HDD if the SSD is prohibitive, but be aware that it's going to mean vastly longer loading times for everything. 

Thanks heaps zen. After getting a bit of advice on Reddit I think I’m going to go for a desktop as it will give me so many more options. 

Ive only watched the first few videos in your series on how to create mods, but they are really good. I’ve been able to understand what you are doing and the basic overall concepts. Whilst I can read and write HTML and css, and I understand php, I’ve had no experience with programming, but your explanations are really good. I feel like I’m in good hands and that a lack of formal education on the subject won’t necessarily hold me back.

in short, what I’ve seen in the first few videos has made me happy to go and invest $1500 in a computer so I can check it all out. Thanks!

Archived