Ark Freezing and Taking up huge amount Resources

Kaijor

Hi there, 

A member of my server community on Ark is having an issue where he loads into the server and is able to play for a few minutes, but then his game freezes. He is then unable to continue playing. He has tried other servers and the same thing is happening. He has also noticed that ark is taking unusual amount of resources which may be the issue. If anyone can assist with this issue, it would be extremely appreciated. I've attached a screenshot he sent me. 

Screenshot_6v2.png

Has ark ever worked ok? Is this a new thing?

Its thrashing the disk - do they have adequate free space on the Ark install location, including space for any swop space windows might allocate with a memory hungry app like Ark? 

Otherwise the standard response is to "validate files" through steam for the ark installation in case some bits have become corrupted. 

I can't really tell what's going on as the pic is too small but looks like memory & disc use is through the roof

Like DirkInSA said, I'd check your virtual memory size, it's just somewhere on the HDD Windows writes to if RAM is full and seeing as you weren't sure what it was I'd guess it's on default setting as "System Managed" so might need increasing, or depending how your PC is set up there might not be much space left on the disc it's using

For example you might have a small SSD with Windows and some apps installed on it then a regular HDD with all your games on, the virtual memory might be set to System Managed on C and no file set for your other drive, then if you've recently installed something that's took up a decent chunk of space on C Windows is struggling with space for the virtual memory, like I said it all depends how it's set up and without the info it's impossible to say for sure what's going on, first thing I'd do is look at how your drive(s) are set up then edit the virtual memory size, it's easy to do if you google it but if you can post a bit more info such as how much RAM and how many drives/partitions you have and the free space someone should be able to help

Right, 8gb should be fine and there shouldn't be any issues with windows running out of space for virtual memory

Give this a try, might work but might not, in windows 10 click start then settings, in the box type "performance" and click on Adjust appearance and performance of windows in the next window click the Advanced tab and under Virtual Memory click change, you should get a list of your drives and the paging file size which I guess will be system managed, highlight your C drive and click the Custom Size button and set it to 8192 (or if you want you could put 16384 seeing as you have around 500gb free space) then click the Set and OK buttons, you'll probably get a prompt to restart your PC, hopefully it'll sort it but looking at the info you posted I'd say you have plenty of free space and with it being a recent issue it could be something else, let us know how you get on anyway

Archived