Taming a giga

ScreamingViolet

I’ve got a trap system set up to catch my pesky giga neighbour and have successfully caught him up in it twice and managed to pump him full of Tranq Arrows from the safety of a cliff. (My trap involves a metal gate trap but I put down some metal spikes and they keep him stuck in one spot long enough to land shots)

My problem is that once I’ve caught him and tranq’Ed him he dies. On the second attempt I checked his health with my scope and it was falling pretty fast. I probably put around 120-150 Tranq Arrows in him and his health just fell down to 0 and he kind of just withered and died. I got 0 exp from it and less than 20 raw meat.

Does anyone have any clue what I might be doing wrong? 

Aha! 

??‍♀️Doh!

I had thought they might’ve been the issue. They seemed so much easier than trying to trap it in with the gates, was wondering why others didn’t use them

LMAO I guess I had better try again. Third time lucky and all of that.

thanks @PHANTOMKAMI you’ve saved me another round of why did the giga die. 

I’m now onto taming attempt 5... I think it’s 5 ? 

first two resulted in death by metal spikes and the third time I messed up and my precious argy was killed - she’s my first ark baby and has 100% imprint so I wasn’t keen on losing her.

there was also another attempt where it woke up when I went to grab more raw meat from my base. So I think I’m on attempt 5, but maybe it’s 6 or 7. I’m going to quit counting them I think lol

Some May ask why I’m going to such lengths to tame a giga in single player... because I can! (Well that remains to be seen, fingers crossed this attempt succeeds. Thank god/devs created the back up saves that make this possible)

hmmm its funny how people using traps and such while im here using only by luring and trap-like terrain without spending any resources lol. how to get it off from the trap-like terrain is the pain in the ass haha, but i manage to get it out using thatch foundation and thatch wall and wooden ramp. thats how i tame 2 of my gigas. 

2 hours ago, MrUnknown13 said:

hmmm its funny how people using traps and such while im here using only by luring and trap-like terrain without spending any resources lol. how to get it off from the trap-like terrain is the pain in the ass haha, but i manage to get it out using thatch foundation and thatch wall and wooden ramp. thats how i tame 2 of my gigas. 

I’ve had it get snagged in the rocks a few times and used that opportunity and the surrounding cliffs to start spraying it with Tranq Arrows, but if he gets out he manages to recover too fast and I have to start tranqing him again.

how much narcotic did you need to keep it unconscious long enough to tame it? I’ve got around 600 but worried it might not be enough, the giga is lvl 12 I think.

On 10/19/2018 at 10:53 AM, ScreamingViolet said:

I’ve had it get snagged in the rocks a few times and used that opportunity and the surrounding cliffs to start spraying it with Tranq Arrows, but if he gets out he manages to recover too fast and I have to start tranqing him again.

how much narcotic did you need to keep it unconscious long enough to tame it? I’ve got around 600 but worried it might not be enough, the giga is lvl 12 I think.

to be honest, i've used soothing balm on it and used just one quetzal kibble. There is away for you to get soothing balm for free but it takes patience since it is mosly involve in speedrun in the Artifact of the Skylord's Cave, i cant remember the cave name, something hollow.

It gives you 2 soothing balm if you're lucky enough, you can also get 5 ambers. 

i recommend that you check some videos on youtube how to speedrun it because it literally took 30s only to get the artifact. from there you should binge speedrun until you get what you wanted. Its the most easiest cave afterall.

The more you speedrun the more you get the chances. thats all~ enjoy taming the gigas

Giga taming is easiest in the game, I used like 100 narco berries and 60 narcotics and tamed him with prime meat and raw meat. I had a soothing balm but after taming I realized I didnt use it. The skylord cave is very easy but beware of bats. A shotgun can handle them and the spiders easily, and just go right until it's a cliff with an explorer note, then go left and immediately right, the artifact shouldn't be far.

9 hours ago, MrUnknown13 said:

to be honest, i've used soothing balm on it and used just one quetzal kibble. There is away for you to get soothing balm for free but it takes patience since it is mosly involve in speedrun in the Artifact of the Skylord's Cave, i cant remember the cave name, something hollow.

It gives you 2 soothing balm if you're lucky enough, you can also get 5 ambers. 

i recommend that you check some videos on youtube how to speedrun it because it literally took 30s only to get the artifact. from there you should binge speedrun until you get what you wanted. Its the most easiest cave afterall.

The more you speedrun the more you get the chances. thats all~ enjoy taming the gigas

8 hours ago, qdzs1 said:

Giga taming is easiest in the game, I used like 100 narco berries and 60 narcotics and tamed him with prime meat and raw meat. I had a soothing balm but after taming I realized I didnt use it. The skylord cave is very easy but beware of bats. A shotgun can handle them and the spiders easily, and just go right until it's a cliff with an explorer note, then go left and immediately right, the artifact shouldn't be far.

Is skylord the ice cave? The one north west of the blue obelisk.

i did that one this morning, I was way over prepared. I came across less than ten spiders and five or six bats, that was all. Incredibly easy. I just stuck to the right hand side and got a note and the artifact without a problem.

on one of my attempts at taming the giga it woke up when I went to grab meat. This time I had around 600 narcotics and was able to get around 100 bio toxin whilst I was taming it as I was on the beach. Halfway through I remembered I had soothing balm so I used that. Brilliant stuff, it really sped things up. It took maybe ten attempts, but I finally tamed that sucker! Now I just have to find where it wandered off to!

• 5 weeks later...

I have trapped two using stone gates. Just use three of the big ones. Doesn’t cost that much. I’ve been able to down it before it destroys the gates. Now that I’m hard I’m not sure if that’ll hold up or not. I’m to the point where I’m thinking about doing that again and maybe breeding another one. 

The trick is getting the gates in a triangle. It’s cheaper to do that way but is difficult to get it right. 

Once trapped I shoot from a quetz. I don’t recall how much I used of the narc or bio or quetz kibble for that matter. I brought a bunch and didn’t worry about it. 

Yes! I finally got it!

After trapping it it almost went wrong twice. A Rex paid me a visit while I was shooting tranqs and then my crossbow broke and I had to get back to base to get me a new one! Luckily I was with my super fast Ptera (named Airwolf) so after coming back it only needed another 20 arrows or something.

And the taming? 1 Soothing Balm and 1 Kibble did it in a few minutes (level 4).  I was a bit over prepared for this with 6 Kibble (thanks to the Chefs Station) and almost 100 Narco's and Toxin....

He is now guardian of my base, untill I reach level 96 for the saddle....will take a while .... I'm 76 now....

1 question: could it be that they only spawn at a certain level? I've never seen one untill a few days ago when I was level 75.

4C50AE07-38C0-4D4E-A6C6-286F2A0E6D68.jpeg

See my photo? All of those Gigas are tamed, none of them are bred. And I have two other tamed gigas on my single player map. My giga trapping method is flawless. All you need is 16 metal gateways (not the behemoth gateways) and 44 metal fence foundations. Lay the fence foundations down to form a 11x11 box. Place the gateways down with only one fence foundation in between, leaving one side open for the giga to walk through. Lead the giga into the pen, once it’s in turn around and start tranqing it until it starts biting at the gateways. Once it starts doing that it’ll be too distracted to be bothered by you running around to place the gateways down and closing up the pen. Don’t forget to do that or it’ll turn around and runaway when it’s close to being knocked out. Also make sure there aren’t any smaller predators around that will attack you. I had a dire wolf attack me and knocked me back into the chomping jaws of the giga. Some gigas will recover from being knocked out very quickly, so it’s good to have extra fence foundations and extra gateways to reduce the amount of space the giga will have to walk around in when it wakes up. 

15C97C08-F30C-4296-8127-A72732EEBF8F.jpeg

Archived