console mod

• 2 weeks later...

SaltyMonkey,

I've read some of your posts and you seem to be "in the know" of all things ARK, so I'm going to ask you this question because I too am wondering why console doesn't have S+.  Is there a reason specifically why Microsoft is not allowing Wild Card to offer mods on xbox one and Nitrado servers?  Fallout 4 has mods. Fortnight has skins. Call of Duty has map packs.  What is preventing Microsoft from allowing mods to be offered in ARK and is there anything we can do about it?

On 10/19/2018 at 6:22 AM, SaltyMonkey said:

If you want mods, it’s Microsoft’s decision.

Not exactly, Skyrim a 360 game now has mods on xbox one. This is a player run mod system. However With all the modding competitions and a big push on modding, I think the developers will take the most popular of the mods and put them to console through game add ons like the tek dino skins.

On 10/28/2018 at 11:42 AM, FNSockPuppet said:

SaltyMonkey,

I've read some of your posts and you seem to be "in the know" of all things ARK, so I'm going to ask you this question because I too am wondering why console doesn't have S+.  Is there a reason specifically why Microsoft is not allowing Wild Card to offer mods on xbox one and Nitrado servers?  Fallout 4 has mods. Fortnight has skins. Call of Duty has map packs.  What is preventing Microsoft from allowing mods to be offered in ARK and is there anything we can do about it?

Because Microsoft generally views mods as a security or lack of quality control in terms that may allow a game to go beyond the games rates maturity level. The mods for some games, are first vetted by Microsoft first, eg skin customizations, the agility to add custom skins was approved by Microsoft, Microsoft is making the dev police it first, if they don't then Microsoft will step in. Policing requires dev support which means money, which means less money for new games. Anytime an app or game is updated for Xbox or ms store there is a Microsoft qc team that checks for malicious intent or content not appropriate for the maturity rating, which is why often steam updates for the same game will come faster Vs those found on Xbox or ms store, because steam uses a more automated approach, in that they quickly scan the MOD, but in general are reactive to removing bad content often based on user feedback where ms tries to be proactive in stopping it in the first place.

Juggernaut,

Thanks for the reply! From what you have described, Microsoft's approach makes complete sense to me. Especially, policing the potential maturity level conflict a mod/skin may present.  I just don't understand why sole blame for lack of console content continues to be laid at the feet of Microsoft for this.   It appears to be more of a business choice from the publisher rather than policy issue with the Microsoft store unless I am missing something, which I am guilty of on occasion.

I am terrible at searching forums for official responses and this particular topic seems it would have been answered at an official level, not speculation.  

Archived