Gigas, pls stop

SpeKtrum

Recently i’ve Tried recording Ark(mobile) and whatnot. But this one Creature is the bane of my existence. If you’ve encountered, u’ve probably died. The one, the only, the ugly barrel faced T. rex with 80 k health. “Darn Gigas”.

I seriously think these things need to get removed, or need to switch places with the Rex. I feel bad that in real life, the Rex could kill a giga easily, but in ark We get this 1.6 k base health therapod that gets Absolutely DWARFED by the ugly barrel faced Rex with 80 k health.

80 k IS NOT A small number in ark. 80 k stam means you’re either retarded for pumping so much stam into that quetz, or you can live in the air for the rest of ur life, 80k weight means the owner is stupid. But 80k health means the creature is almost invincible to normal weapons(pump action shotgun, assault rifle, sword, etc.). So If you do want to fight this thing, you better have 20 turrets on that darn quetz, cuz it’s getting crazy up in here. So ark devs, pls consider this post and pls:

do it for this guy:

F13ED04C-3DD9-4FA4-B751-7A30823B4EA2.png

Does Rex really have 1.6k base health in the mobile version of the game? If so then that's a lot better than the 1.1k that it has on the pc version.

On topic though, I agree with you and finally just stopped playing Ark for this very reason. I think most people who wanted to see the Rex get a respectful showing were weeded out of this community a long time ago because we just aren't Wildcard's target audience.

Really the last glimmer of hope that this would ever be fixed went out with the long-anticipated TLC pass. Up until that point a lot of people were asking for an overhaul to bring Giga in line with Rex and Spino, and to let Rex take his place as a proper powerhouse. Clearly that didn't happen. Instead Spino became a better fighter than Rex with better mobility to boot (and this is before the water buff!!!), Rex got mountain-climbing but basically nothing else, and Giga remained his OP self. I think that for me this was the final insult.

Anyway, I'll stop ranting. In short, you're way late to the party haha.

6 hours ago, SpeKtrum said:

I seriously think these things need to get removed, or need to switch places with the Rex. I feel bad that in real life, the Rex could kill a giga easily, but in ark We get this 1.6 k base health therapod that gets Absolutely DWARFED by the ugly barrel faced Rex with 80 k health.

Yes in real life that might be true. In game we are not dealing with the same species, the rex in game isnt even a rex its a different species and the giga too is a completely different species to its real life counterpart. 

These are really interesting arguments and I love peoples opinions and justifications for their reasoning. Id like to join in...

I dont want the removal of Gigas. I guess the difficulty is this:

Historical research actually had the Spino as the biggest Carnivorous dinosaur and as it has a mobility to water too, it would make it to damned strong in ARK if it was given its true placing. 

The Rex is by all accounts, known by most people and therefore has to have a place at the top of the chain - hence the reason its relied upon for most (not all) bosses.

So... if we take the fact the Spino should be the biggest and most feared dino, and that the Giga isn't... where does that leave the Giga?

It is still a fearsome predator, and WC need to have a rare spawn mega dino, so why not make it a Giga? 

I want to see a rare spawn kick arse Dino that makes me stay away/run away at all times. If we were to get accurate it would have to be a Spino, but they are kind of required due to their speciality.

So, I think WC has taken a pragmatic approach to these 3 mega carnivores and decided upon the path they have. Im in agreement in where they went with it to be honest.

The rex wouldn't have been stronger than a giga. Sure the rex had the strongest jaws of any dino, but it had the mobility and turn radius of a freight container ship. It would even have been wrecked by the smaller allosaurus. Literature states that rex must've survived by eating corpses, eating the whole corpse, and thats why it had such powerfull jaws.. to crush bones.

6 hours ago, Anarki said:

These are really interesting arguments and I love peoples opinions and justifications for their reasoning. Id like to join in...

I dont want the removal of Gigas. I guess the difficulty is this:

Historical research actually had the Spino as the biggest Carnivorous dinosaur and as it has a mobility to water too, it would make it to damned strong in ARK if it was given its true placing. 

The Rex is by all accounts, known by most people and therefore has to have a place at the top of the chain - hence the reason its relied upon for most (not all) bosses.

So... if we take the fact the Spino should be the biggest and most feared dino, and that the Giga isn't... where does that leave the Giga?

It is still a fearsome predator, and WC need to have a rare spawn mega dino, so why not make it a Giga? 

I want to see a rare spawn kick arse Dino that makes me stay away/run away at all times. If we were to get accurate it would have to be a Spino, but they are kind of required due to their speciality.

So, I think WC has taken a pragmatic approach to these 3 mega carnivores and decided upon the path they have. Im in agreement in where they went with it to be honest.

I agree that it's hard to come up with a good, unique role for Giga, mainly because there are more creatures in the game than there are valid niches to fill. If it were based on the actual Giga it would have been somewhat of a cross between Rex and Allosaurus. Being stronger but slower than the Allo and trading the slowing bleed for gnashed or some other bleed effect, and being weaker than the Rex but having some sort of bleed to take down the sauropods.

As for the Spino being this big unstoppable Godzilla monster, I can kinda see why you might think that with all the crazy information bouncing around the internet. But that's actually just a myth that was started by JP3 and perpetuated by internet fanboys and speculation based on incomplete data (which has now been debunked). Look at what Jack Horner finally came out and admitted about the Spino. This is the same man who got the Spino into JP3 in the first place and who argued for a long time that the Rex had to be a scavenger. Even in 2001 it was known that Spino would have lost that fight because it was designed to catch and hold onto relatively small fish rather than take down other huge creatures on land. And Spino's chances have only gone down since then because they now know that Spino had small legs that were built for swimming.

As for size, people often say "bigger" when they really mean longer. Sometimes it's an innocent mistake, other times it's a deliberate deception. But comparing a Rex to a Spino or a Giga is similar to comparing an anaconda to a python. Anacondas are not the longest snake alive today, but they are the biggest due to their bulkiness. Similarly, Spinos are longer than Rex, and Gigas are thought to perhaps be a bit longer than Rex, but Rex is bulkier and perhaps taller than either one of them. Based on currently known specimens they're all thought to be roughly the same size overall.

On 10/16/2018 at 10:18 PM, SpeKtrum said:

Recently i’ve Tried recording Ark(mobile) and whatnot. But this one Creature is the bane of my existence. If you’ve encountered, u’ve probably died. The one, the only, the ugly barrel faced T. rex with 80 k health. “Darn Gigas”.

80 k IS NOT A small number in ark. 80 k stam means you’re either retarded for pumping so much stam into that quetz, or you can live in the air for the rest of ur life, 80k weight means the owner is stupid. But 80k health means the creature is almost invincible to normal weapons(pump action shotgun, assault rifle, sword, etc.). So If you do want to fight this thing, you better have 20 turrets on that darn quetz, cuz it’s getting crazy up in here. So ark devs, pls consider this post and pls:

do it for this guy:

F13ED04C-3DD9-4FA4-B751-7A30823B4EA2.png

Removing the giga is not an option. 

16 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

I agree that it's hard to come up with a good, unique role for Giga, mainly because there are more creatures in the game than there are valid niches to fill. If it were based on the actual Giga it would have been somewhat of a cross between Rex and Allosaurus. Being stronger but slower than the Allo and trading the slowing bleed for gnashed or some other bleed effect, and being weaker than the Rex but having some sort of bleed to take down the sauropods.

As for the Spino being this big unstoppable Godzilla monster, I can kinda see why you might think that with all the crazy information bouncing around the internet. But that's actually just a myth that was started by JP3 and perpetuated by internet fanboys and speculation based on incomplete data (which has now been debunked). Look at what Jack Horner finally came out and admitted about the Spino. This is the same man who got the Spino into JP3 in the first place and who argued for a long time that the Rex had to be a scavenger. Even in 2001 it was known that Spino would have lost that fight because it was designed to catch and hold onto relatively small fish rather than take down other huge creatures on land. And Spino's chances have only gone down since then because they now know that Spino had small legs that were built for swimming.

As for size, people often say "bigger" when they really mean longer. Sometimes it's an innocent mistake, other times it's a deliberate deception. But comparing a Rex to a Spino or a Giga is similar to comparing an anaconda to a python. Anacondas are not the longest snake alive today, but they are the biggest due to their bulkiness. Similarly, Spinos are longer than Rex, and Gigas are thought to perhaps be a bit longer than Rex, but Rex is bulkier and perhaps taller than either one of them. Based on currently known specimens they're all thought to be roughly the same size overall.

Absolutely fascinating reading. With regards to size, we can also bring into the argument - 'weight'. Scientists believed the Rex to be at 6 tons as opposed to the heavier Spino and Giga at 8 tons (metric). 

Now Cristiano Dal Sasso of the Civil Natural History Museum in Milan says Giganotosaurus has been dethroned based on estimates from a new Spinosaurus skull.

Interestingly, all this is opinion with a little scientific research backing it up. However, today it is recognised by experts that the Spino was indeed the largest carnivorous dinosaur - what I haven't at any stage said, is that it was the strongest or most dominant as again there are too many arguments against this. i.e. the Rex had tiny arms and possibly would have struggled with balance when coming face to face with other large dinosaurs or as you say, the Spino having short legs and built for swimming.

What I am definitely saying is.. don't remove the Giga from the game, or change its role in the game - we need a rare spawn dino that not everyone will be able to acquire, and when it roams nearby - your only option is to run ;)

As I acknowledge all these comments, I think the Rex, being as Iconic as it is, doesn’t have to be able to beat the giga, it would be nice if the devs gave it an Actual ability. Though what Anarki said was true, we already do have the rare Dino(the Titano), you don’t exactly have to worry about having run from it, but it fits the title, “not everyone can obtain” and the fact that it’s rlly rare.

The mountains are already dangerous in themselves, and the fact that sabers spawn every two seconds there. So, It would be nice if the devs gave the Rex a decent ability, as it is, no doubt, the most iconic dinosaur. Also we should note the fact that the roar of the Rex is more of a liability than any form of help 

By the time the Rex roars, a player with a sword has enough time to turn the creature into Rex Sauté before it even gets through a third of their health, which is VERY disappointing. So, a bit of change to the roar would be nice.

Well I'm not sure I agree that we need an unbeatable creature outside of boss arenas, but if we do need that then the role will be filled by the upcoming Titans, not the Giga. Someone with their own imprinted Giga can whoop a wild Giga just like they would whoop any other creature, and even a noob with a Pteranodon can easily kill a wild Giga just by drowning it. And, let's be honest. It isn't even hard to obtain a Giga. It tames just like anything else, except you'll need to come prepared with a metal trap and a ton of narcotics. Or if you're playing with other people you can either join a tribe or just trade for an egg.

Anyway, my point of view is this: I'm ok with Giga being an end-game tame and the biggest damage-dealer. I mean he obviously needs SOMETHING to stand out. But he shouldn't just be straight-up better. Think about similar scenarios in other games. In Jurassic World Evolution armored hide is an early-game genetic modification, while hyper-efficient blood is an end-game modification. As such, level 1 hyper-efficient blood is FAR better than level 1 armored hide. However, armored hide can be upgraded to level 5 while hyper-efficient blood has no upgrades. So they both end up being equally powerful in the end game. It's a similar deal in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. In that game Mario is an early-game character while Yoshi is an end-game character. As such, Yoshi's starting weapons are a lot stronger than Mario's starting weapons. But Yoshi's weapons aren't better than the weapons that Mario has when Yoshi joins the team, and they don't cap out higher. You just have one character who starts out as an endgame powerhouse, and another character who grows into an endgame powerhouse.

Now, as you can probably tell, I wouldn't have put Giga so high in the first place. But the fact that they did put it that high could have been smoothed out if they would have let a top-level Rex be on par with a top-level Giga. Rex being the tankier bruiser and Giga being the glass cannon. This would have not only allowed Rex to keep his dignity, it would have also opened the way for Giga to be brought into boss battles. Instead we have one dino who disappoints because he's comparatively weak at all levels, and another dino who disappoints because he can't be used in the PvE endgame. And making the Rex into a wimpier fighter than the Spino who already has the advantage in both swimming and mobility was just beyond stupid. That's not even consistent with the Spino's dossier description. So yeah. I'm a little butthurt over it all...

4 hours ago, Lockjaw said:

Well I'm not sure I agree that we need an unbeatable creature outside of boss arenas, but if we do need that then the role will be filled by the upcoming Titans, not the Giga. Someone with their own imprinted Giga can whoop a wild Giga just like they would whoop any other creature, and even a noob with a Pteranodon can easily kill a wild Giga just by drowning it. And, let's be honest. It isn't even hard to obtain a Giga. It tames just like anything else, except you'll need to come prepared with a metal trap and a ton of narcotics. Or if you're playing with other people you can either join a tribe or just trade for an egg.

Anyway, my point of view is this: I'm ok with Giga being an end-game tame and the biggest damage-dealer. I mean he obviously needs SOMETHING to stand out. But he shouldn't just be straight-up better. Think about similar scenarios in other games. In Jurassic World Evolution armored hide is an early-game genetic modification, while hyper-efficient blood is an end-game modification. As such, level 1 hyper-efficient blood is FAR better than level 1 armored hide. However, armored hide can be upgraded to level 5 while hyper-efficient blood has no upgrades. So they both end up being equally powerful in the end game. It's a similar deal in Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle. In that game Mario is an early-game character while Yoshi is an end-game character. As such, Yoshi's starting weapons are a lot stronger than Mario's starting weapons. But Yoshi's weapons aren't better than the weapons that Mario has when Yoshi joins the team, and they don't cap out higher. You just have one character who starts out as an endgame powerhouse, and another character who grows into an endgame powerhouse.

Now, as you can probably tell, I wouldn't have put Giga so high in the first place. But the fact that they did put it that high could have been smoothed out if they would have let a top-level Rex be on par with a top-level Giga. Rex being the tankier bruiser and Giga being the glass cannon. This would have not only allowed Rex to keep his dignity, it would have also opened the way for Giga to be brought into boss battles. Instead we have one dino who disappoints because he's comparatively weak at all levels, and another dino who disappoints because he can't be used in the PvE endgame. And making the Rex into a wimpier fighter than the Spino who already has the advantage in both swimming and mobility was just beyond stupid. That's not even consistent with the Spino's dossier description. So yeah. I'm a little butthurt over it all...

Because we don’t have any of the end game that other platforms of ark have - we don’t have bosses or ascension or even all of the caves that pc and console have,so I think the giga is important. For ark mobile it’s probably more important even than the giga was to its predecessors.

ive hit the higher levels now, around lvl 87 I think and there’s not that many breeds I haven’t tamed yet. We still need challenges at this part of the game and the giga ticks those boxes. 

The fact that it’s ridiculously over powered and not properly scaled against the real life dinosaur and it’s contemporaries is, I dare say, wildcards fault. The giga was, let’s say ‘messed up’ long before war drum and ark mobile came along. Of course they have the option to change things and rebalance the mobile version of the giga, but personally (even after just completing a week long siege against a couple of Gigas!) I don’t think it’s needed. It would be nice if they filled in some of the gaps powerwise between rex and giga. We could use a couple of extra high powered Dino’s to go head to head with.

Whilst I understand why people would want the ark dinosaurs to match up, in terms of size and power etc, with their real world examples, but it’s a game. I don’t think they have found any proof that ancient cave men were beating dinosaurs on the head with bats til they passed out in order to turn them into domesticated reptillian

22 minutes ago, ScreamingViolet said:

Whilst I understand why people would want the ark dinosaurs to match up, in terms of size and power etc, with their real world examples, but it’s a game. I don’t think they have found any proof that ancient cave men were beating dinosaurs on the head with bats til they passed out in order to turn them into domesticated reptillian

You've never watched the flint stones :D:P

22 minutes ago, ScreamingViolet said:

The fact that it’s ridiculously over powered and not properly scaled against the real life dinosaur and it’s contemporaries is, I dare say, wildcards fault. The giga was, let’s say ‘messed up’ long before war drum and ark mobile came along.

Yes it is definitely wildcard's fault. Sorry if I'm bringing in factors that don't apply to the mobile game. This conversation actually started in the forum for the base game.

I am still curious though. Is the OP correct in saying that Rexes have a base health of 1600 in the mobile game?

1 minute ago, Lockjaw said:

Yes it is definitely wildcard's fault. Sorry if I'm bringing in factors that don't apply to the mobile game. This conversation actually started in the forum for the base game.

I am still curious though. Is the OP correct in saying that Rexes have a base health of 1600 in the mobile game?

My apologies, perhaps someone moved it from elsewhere into the mobile forum.

im not sure off the top of my head, but I’ll go for a fly and double check - sadly there isn’t a wiki with info on mobile stats. They are often different in mobile due to the different play style. I think a lvl 1 Wild rex has over 1k health, but will go check as I’d like to know too.

13 hours ago, ScreamingViolet said:

Thats the thing. None of the ingame species actually existed in real life (apart from the kentro to my knowledge) so any comparisons are mearly speculative in my opinion. All the species are made up, placed into the same genuses as a would be closely related species or in some case into completely made up genuses. For example for the 'rex' in game is a species called Tyrannosaurus dominum which is not a species described by science, that would be Tyrannosaurus rex. Its not a rex in game, just an animal 'closely related' to the rex. Same goes for the giga. In game its a Gigantosaurus furiosa (made up species to my knowledge) NOT Gigantosaurus carolinii. The entire debate would however be different if WC had indeed used real life species in game. Then we could actually complain about any scientific inaccuracies of the dinos in game.

1 hour ago, AngrySaltire said:

Thats the thing. None of the ingame species actually existed in real life (apart from the kentro to my knowledge) so any comparisons are mearly speculative in my opinion. All the species are made up, placed into the same genuses as a would be closely related species or in some case into completely made up genuses. For example for the 'rex' in game is a species called Tyrannosaurus dominum which is not a species described by science, that would be Tyrannosaurus rex. Its not a rex in game, just an animal 'closely related' to the rex. Same goes for the giga. In game its a Gigantosaurus furiosa (made up species to my knowledge) NOT Gigantosaurus carolinii. The entire debate would however be different if WC had indeed used real life species in game. Then we could actually complain about any scientific inaccuracies of the dinos in game.

That's a fair point, but there's still a problem with that. I'm pretty sure that all of us know the difference between a fictional species in a video game and the real animals, but not everyone does. I've seen at least two people who honestly believed that Giga was 2-3 times the size of a Rex. Which means that they're getting their information from video games. And even some who know that Ark's Giga is exaggerated will still assume that the real thing was bigger and more dominant than the Rex, albeit to a lesser extent than depicted here.

At the very least the dossiers should have clarified that T-dominum has far weaker jaws than T-rex and that Ark's Giga is far larger and more powerful than the prehistoric Giga. That would have given them more freedom to do what they want.

Archived