I am playing singleplayer on ark and I'm level 38 at the time of writing this so I'm not exactly OP.  This dumb alpha raptor has been terrorizing me ever since I woke up on this god forsaken island, I think the raptor in mind is level 26 (hard to get close enough to see the exact level) and it strolls around with about 4 of his raptor buddys killing everything in sight to continue leveling up. I can kill the normal raptors but the alfa is impossible to kill. I managed to get it trapped inside a cage but by the time I could even get close enough to hit it he had already broken the (wood) cage. I have also tried getting it locked on to one of my decaying body's and shot it with 5 rifle bullets and about 100 arrows but still no cigar. Does anybody have any suggestions?

I also have a level 10 raptor and a level 3 trike in my arsenal along with some other worker Dino's.

Honestly, if you have a crossbow and can lead it into water then do that. Raptors get SO much slower in the water once they're in there and you can just shoot them from a safe enough distance. If not, try to stay elevated and just shoot it down. You probably don't want to take any tame that low of a level to go fight the alpha so this is all going to have to be on you bud.

My strategy for alphas is to just snipe them with a rifle from the top of a cliff. If they are on the land above the top of the cliff, I might use a flying mount to lure them over the edge. Usually they will just run around the base of the cliff as you snipe them, sometimes even standing at the bottom just looking at you. Go for headshots if you can, more damage per shot (at least with the rifle).

It also helps if you wait for them to kill something. They will go through the motions of eating the corpse, but due to a longstanding bug they can't actually harvest anything from it, so they'll just stand in that spot and keep trying until the corpse decays naturally (which could be a minute or more). Again, go for headshots if you can (it's tricky as they keep bobbing up and down, but it can be done).

Im guessing due to your low level and newness to the server, some of the ideas are not feasible i.e. you dont have a decent gun, enough ammo etc.

Without using commands, all you can do is lure it away, I had to do this with a Theri on a new server fairly recently, and once it had gone far enough away, it started to go after other wild dinos. Try and lure it over a river or off a cliff, then you can return to your base and start building up again :)

Good luck

You could build a taming pen out of stone somewhere away from your base.  Then make a ramp on the side, so any dino follows you up the ramp, and falls down into the pen. Then you exit out a stone doorway.

Then you can kill it with bow and arrow and get some better loot.

Then you can use the pen to tame other dinos as you progress.  (Look on you tube for ramped taming pens.)

Use the cliff technique and if your still on a beach try to get yourself a ptera and guide the jerk away from home or in a trap , alpha Raptors are no joke but they cant pounce so if you have to use your trike cause at that level hes kinda expendable anyways lol, make sure his little buddies dont get your side cause they can pounce you from the side , the trikes horn protects the front , and use the knockback to keep th raptor a safe distance away using the timing of it you should be fine , my trike has a couple alpha raptor bodies on him too,  watch out for alpha carnos though 

And if you see a alpha rex...run

in case it returns or other alpha comes by, i would suggest building your base higher using stone pillars.. go 5 pillars high and even a giga wont notice you or your dinos any more :) 

but simple way, get 2-3 pillars high base.. one pillar can support a 3x3 ceilings, and grow from there.. build rest of your base out of wood if you want. even get your weak dinos up with you using ramps. if any alpha comes by your house next time, set on a chair and arrow them to their death :D 

• 3 weeks later...

Step one: level speed. 

Step two: level speed. 

Step three: level speed. 

Step four: run. from anything.

Seriously, if you reach 135 or so movement speed you can outrun even raptors and carnos. Yes, I know you can't outrun alphas at that speed but if you use a ranged weapon, you're golden. Get between the alpha and where you want them to go. Shoot it from as far away as you can. When you see the hit and verify that it agros and begins to run toward you, RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!!! You'll get very far before it can catch you and by then it's way away from your base/tames/resource/raft/whatever. Works everytime. You can also do this naked so you don't lose any weapons (or craft a prim bow). If you didn't get far enough away, repeat after you respawn at your bed. Go back later to pick up your bag - you've got 30 minutes.

The trap ideas work great (not wood, ever) but you will need a ton of arrow and perhaps a second xbow until you can find with with much more damage than 100. Once you get to where you aren't scared of alphas, kill every one. Never kite them away. They represent WAY too good a source of xp and loot.

3 hours ago, Churchlady said:

The trap ideas work great (not wood, ever) but you will need a ton of arrow and perhaps a second xbow until you can find with with much more damage than 100. Once you get to where you aren't scared of alphas, kill every one. Never kite them away. They represent WAY too good a source of xp and loot.

After taming and breeding top level dinos, I now actually look forward to Alphas, and hopefully some good loot when killing them.   Way different than living in fear when starting out on the beach so many thousands of hours ago.

Archived