Actual egg count for Basilisk taming?

Kayin

Hey guys,

so im planning for an upcoming basilisk tame and dododex is telling me 10 eggs for a 150.  Another app is telling me 41 eggs for a 150.

these are not small counts. That’s incredibly heavy and a lot of value to be running around with while being chased by a giant dragon snake from hell.

are these accurate?  I’d like to be better prepared. This tame clearly is going to take some planning and I’d like to not arbitrarily waste rock drake eggs or not have enough

Build a 3x3 stone foundation with 3 high stone door frame walls and a ramp on one side of it near the basilisk you want to tame(good luck finding a 150, normal basilisks are super rare and mostly low level) and kite the basilisk up the ramp into the pen and you can easily tame them, be careful though they can still bite you through the doorways. Your tame just became muuuuuch easier.

Also, use dododex for taming calculations.

I play unofficial with official settings.   So yea,  looks like dododex is right.  up to 10 rock drake eggs.   Good God.     I don't know if I like that a giant snake should be the hardest tame to get on the map, simply due to it's food. 

So far for me this is the order in which I get tames:

Ravager/starter -> Krab -> Spino/Meg -> Reaper -> Drake -> Basilisk (soon, after I drag that trench a few more times)

7 hours ago, Kayin said:

I play unofficial with official settings.   So yea,  looks like dododex is right.  up to 10 rock drake eggs.   Good God.     I don't know if I like that a giant snake should be the hardest tame to get on the map, simply due to it's food. 

So far for me this is the order in which I get tames:

Ravager/starter -> Krab -> Spino/Meg -> Reaper -> Drake -> Basilisk (soon, after I drag that trench a few more times)

If you could trap it tons of pillars when you see it, you should be able to maintain its aggressiveness towards you while you dump those poor eggs at around itself. Again, unlike Titanoboa, if you move it close enough, it will try to eat it before proceeding on to attack you (letting it bury could potentially lose Taming effectiveness, if thats what you are aiming for.)

Success!

9 Rock Drake eggs to tame a 140.   The thing came out at 188,  so fairly crap effectiveness.   The thing is a pretty glitchy tame. It wouldn't always eat the egg, it would freeze for some reason and i'd have to drop 2 nearby for it to pick one and reset.

I did build a trap as @Austin304 described.  The Basilisk did actually escape it though.  3x3 and 3 high doorframes. One time it lost aggro, left the trap somehow, and burrowed. Fortunately I hadn't started taming it.  Once I had started it did not escape. I kept its aggro on me.

I'm a little disappointed in their damage output, but man those things can haul some weight.  3k starting weight.

Thanks everyone for suggestions.

-K

7 hours ago, Kayin said:

Success!

9 Rock Drake eggs to tame a 140.   The thing came out at 188,  so fairly crap effectiveness.   The thing is a pretty glitchy tame. It wouldn't always eat the egg, it would freeze for some reason and i'd have to drop 2 nearby for it to pick one and reset.

I did build a trap as @Austin304 described.  The Basilisk did actually escape it though.  3x3 and 3 high doorframes. One time it lost aggro, left the trap somehow, and burrowed. Fortunately I hadn't started taming it.  Once I had started it did not escape. I kept its aggro on me.

I'm a little disappointed in their damage output, but man those things can haul some weight.  3k starting weight.

-K

Basilisk has the second best initial weight, only beaten by Titanosaur. Its a beast to bring if you need something to store at ground within reachable distance, but is a pain to navigate sometimes.

10 hours ago, Kayin said:

Success!

-K

Congrats on the tame! They are really a pan to tame. The trap is my preferred method, but one could put a zipline and climb on the zipline with a rav just out of melee range of the basi to tame them but the trap is my favorite.

And yeah the weight is insane! Ive got almost 10k weight on my main basilisk.

What I have found works best for me for taming them.  Place a single foundation.  Then pillars up from the foundation about 10-15 high.  Then place a ceiling on top of those pillars.  Then ladders down.  And if you can get the basilisk right up against the pillars....  It will shoot the poison and not hit you.  And will sit there aggro'd on you and just eat the eggs.

Archived