Wildcard’s post Extinction plan

SaltyMonkey

This isn’t about what the community thinks the direction should be, but the most probable route Wildcard will take, so I’m interested if we can guess what happens next.

Things to consider: the Nintendo Switch version launches soon (this quarter), the dino TLC was never fully implemented (more phases were planned supposedly), the kibble rework never happened, structure decay timers are still ongoing, structures plus integration is still ongoing, and there are countless sponsored mods. Edit: primal survival, and survival of the fittest (I’m only mentioning these two because they were abandoned projects). I’d mention boss wars but the Extinction Titans seem to be the alternative to this earlier idea.

2 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

You forgot to mention all the bugs that need fixing. Optimization. Etc.

To be fair bug fixes are an ongoing process. When and what priority the devs see them as is something else entirely.

Again this isn’t what we think should happen but the course Wildcard will focus on. 

8 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

You forgot to mention all the bugs that need fixing. Optimization. Etc.

The devs openly said in an interview that they were done with Optimizations because "Hardware will eventually exist that can run our game". As far as bug-fixes, those don't really earn money.

As far as the OP. The post-Extinction plan is probably to pull all working personnel to work on their new game (Atlas iirc), while leaving a skeleton crew to deal with Ark for the next year or two while the game continues its decline. It makes the most fiscal sense, and is entirely consistent with their course of action for the past year or so. 

34 minutes ago, iAmE said:

The devs openly said in an interview that they were done with Optimizations because "Hardware will eventually exist that can run our game". As far as bug-fixes, those don't really earn money.

As far as the OP. The post-Extinction plan is probably to pull all working personnel to work on their new game (Atlas iirc), while leaving a skeleton crew to deal with Ark for the next year or two while the game continues its decline. It makes the most fiscal sense, and is entirely consistent with their course of action for the past year or so. 

I endorse this.

iAmE 
-Chief Strategist

4 hours ago, iAmE said:

You can’t really make assumptions on Atlas because it could be either Wildcard or Snail Games. It may have been accidentally leaked from Wildcard’s YouTube channel but you have to bare in mind that they also promoted PixArk and Ark on Mobile too.

9 hours ago, iAmE said:

Meanwhile For Honor (it reached 15 mln playerbase recently) and RS6 are flourishing thanks to devs commitment to bug fixes and QoL patches... 

I agree. Wildcard could not care less about community concerns and bugs. It is clearly visible. Latests diary was them admitting their defeat and complete ignorance of playerbase. It disgusts me. After the release of Exctinction they will do as you said. Move to another EA sandbox game with the same spaghetti code (aka Atlas) and leave skeleton crew to maintain ARK with the lowest effort possible. (Btw. Did you know those dinosaurs skins that came around Fallen Kingdom were not made by them even?) 

Such beautiful concept with huge potential wasted by incompetent developers. They will only react when people decide to stop playing their game, but to do that player would have to realise they're prisoners of stuff they own in game.

7 hours ago, iAmE said:

33 minutes ago, Lewiatan said:

Meanwhile For Honor (it reached 15 mln playerbase recently) and RS6 are flourishing thanks to devs commitment to bug fixes and QoL patches... 

I agree. Wildcard could not care less about community concerns and bugs. It is clearly visible. Latests diary was them admitting their defeat and complete ignorance of playerbase. It disgusts me. After the release of Exctinction they will do as you said. Move to another EA sandbox game with the same spaghetti code (aka Atlas) and leave skeleton crew to maintain ARK with the lowest effort possible. (Btw. Did you know those dinosaurs skins that came around Fallen Kingdom were not made by them even?) 

Such beautiful concept with huge potential wasted by incompetent developers. They will only react when people decide to stop playing their game, but to that player would have to realise their prisoners of stuff they own in game.

Agree with these. I think that's pretty much the way it will go

The posts here tell you how the players feel and unless there is dramatic change, there will be no future. A game simply can't be sustained if players are not happy. You don't see anyone complaining about fortnight, PvP, shooter, builder, Unreal engine 4. Many similarities just better implementation, the devs knew what they were making and perfected it. WC still doesn't know what Ark is.

12 hours ago, SaltyMonkey said:

You can’t really make assumptions on Atlas because it could be either Wildcard or Snail Games. It may have been accidentally leaked from Wildcard’s YouTube channel but you have to bare in mind that they also promoted PixArk and Ark on Mobile too.

You can actually make assumptions because it was leaked at a point in time where Ark is entering its natural decline/end point. It's unlikely the developers will continue supporting the game post-extinction. Not only are they incapable of it from an administration point of view, but it also, at least to all our knowledge, makes no money. The developers have been hard set on chasing cash infusions for their company while completely ignoring just about everything else. 

There's two options. One they abandon Ark and begin working on a new game, which may or may not be Atlas (The timing just seems a bit off for the leak if it *isn't* Atlas), or they announce new Ark DLC and begin working on it. 

1 minute ago, Chubchub2020 said:

The posts here tell you how the players feel and unless there is dramatic change, there will be no future. A game simply can't be sustained if players are not happy. You don't see anyone complaining about fortnight, PvP, shooter, builder, Unreal engine 4. Many similarities just better implementation, the devs knew what they were making and perfected it. WC still doesn't know what Ark is.

Yeah. It's kinda like WC only half assed everything. 

Primitive plus...very popular but broken

PvP...Also broken (undermeshing)

PvE..broken (tame cap , pillars)

I could list all the abandoned projects that are indefinitely on hold.

9 hours ago, Lewiatan said:

Such beautiful concept with huge potential wasted by incompetent developers. They will only react when people decide to stop playing their game, but to do that player would have to realise they're prisoners of stuff they own in game.

My biggest question to Wildcard, will always be,

Why did you skip hiring minimum wage support staff and QA staff. 

The cheating problem would have never reached such endemic proportions if the developers had the basic support staff capable of processing the tickets and acting as moderators punishing them. Half the "Exploits" wouldn't have reached public release if the developers had basic QA staff capable of just exploring the map, and trying to break things. I don't necessarily see those diaries as admitting defeat, exactly, but it does go to show just how ignorant the developers are of basic facets of game development. Testing your game before you release it so you can't just shove a chair into a wall, sit down, and get up outside the mesh, and supporting the game so people who do exploit these glitches don't destroy the game's playerbase are so basic in the industry. 

WC have actually pandered too much to the community, why do we still have legacy servers? I left legacy soon as the game officially released, and now we have official, conquest, smalltribes, the playerbase is fractured across so many different game modes and theres a lot of empty servers, i dont even get why PVE is a thing, if you want PVE play single player we dont need servers for PVE. There needs to be one core game mode and all efforts should be put into that, official is dead, conquest isnt doing great, smalltribes seems to be doing the best but has problems with teaming and offline raiding and meshing, but if those problems got solved it would be by far the most popular game mode. 

Archived