SLI help!!!!

DylanT30

I've recently introduced a second EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 to my build. While running a single card, with my i7-8700k and 32GB RAM, I could get between 60 and 70 FPS on epic settings. After adding my second FTW3, I'm down to 50-55 FPS. I understand the SLI profile for ARK has been removed and that SLI has been frustrating for a lot of people, but has anyone found any way to make it work? I haven't tweaked too much in the Nvidia Control Panel. Obviously SLI is enabled, but that's pretty much all I've done. Thank you in advance :)

Nice to see another SLI user. I'm running ARK with two 1080 TI's in SLI as well. You must understand that the game is not well optimized, and even with TWO cards in SLI, its just slightly better than one of the 1080s. Sounds dumb but SLI does not mean double the performance. In some games it does tremendously better than one card, but unfortunately not in ARK.

I play on a 34" Alienware monitor (AW3418DW) that is 3440x1440 120hz and SLI struggles to keep up. I usually get what you get on epic settings, and I don't see past 60 as much as I do under 60. I will say though, Ragnarok is probably the best map for my computer, as my fps is usually over 80. Aberration is the most demanding map so far, and Island is in between.

A piece of advice I would give is: lookup/google some other people's guides on optimizing in game settings to have a better time with SLI. One recommendation that I remember off the top of my head is shadows. Turn every type of shadow in your settings to low. This will give you a really nice jump in FPS if you haven't already lowered it. There was another setting on the right side of advanced settings that I remember tweaking for better FPS, but I can't say it at this time (not home).

If you find any other tweaks for better FPS please quote and let me know, I'd be interested in trying it out myself. I can also provide feedback as SLI gamers in ARK aren't exactly abundant.

2 minutes ago, Sphere said:

SLI user here.

I disabled it, as the game lately does worse under SLI, unlike what it used to do.

Did you notice an increase in FPS after you disabled SLI? Also, could I ask what settings you use? I have most of my settings on epic with shadows on LOW with SLI on. It would be nice to try the game again with SLI off, would be nice to hear from another SLI user that did so. Thank you.

Just now, EatMyDust said:

Did you notice an increase in FPS after you disabled SLI? Also, could I ask what settings you use? I have most of my settings on epic with shadows on LOW with SLI on. It would be nice to try the game again with SLI off, would be nice to hear from another SLI user that did so. Thank you.

Turn SLI off, and you can have high shadows, and better performance than if you had it on.

I turned SLI off and ran everything through one GPU and my framerates will not improve. Still stuck between 40 and 50. Took my other GPU out to test and still in the 40-50 range. Seems I've taken a massive step backwards. What could be causing this?

UPDATE: After reinstalling my second GPU (AND LEAVING SLI OFF) I'm back in the 55-65 FPS range. Using GeForce optimized settings the entire time. Also downloaded the 416.16 Nvidia drivers before any of this whole mess started. It's safe to say I'm confused.

5 hours ago, EatMyDust said:

Nice to see another SLI user. I'm running ARK with two 1080 TI's in SLI as well. You must understand that the game is not well optimized, and even with TWO cards in SLI, its just slightly better than one of the 1080s. Sounds dumb but SLI does not mean double the performance. In some games it does tremendously better than one card, but unfortunately not in ARK.

I play on a 34" Alienware monitor (AW3418DW) that is 3440x1440 120hz and SLI struggles to keep up. I usually get what you get on epic settings, and I don't see past 60 as much as I do under 60. I will say though, Ragnarok is probably the best map for my computer, as my fps is usually over 80. Aberration is the most demanding map so far, and Island is in between.

A piece of advice I would give is: lookup/google some other people's guides on optimizing in game settings to have a better time with SLI. One recommendation that I remember off the top of my head is shadows. Turn every type of shadow in your settings to low. This will give you a really nice jump in FPS if you haven't already lowered it. There was another setting on the right side of advanced settings that I remember tweaking for better FPS, but I can't say it at this time (not home).

If you find any other tweaks for better FPS please quote and let me know, I'd be interested in trying it out myself. I can also provide feedback as SLI gamers in ARK aren't exactly abundant.

Are you currently using SLI in the game or do you have it disabled? I noticed a 10 FPS boost after disabling SLI, but I'd really like to get it working. 

• Administrator
On 10/11/2018 at 6:32 AM, Anarki said:

ARK has not been coded for SLi so it wont ever work and if you enable it, it will have a detrimental effect. 

This is simply not true. I have been running ARK on SLI for the past 3 years, and I continue to do it today. I use it to film all of our trailers. I usually see a 20-30fps increase with SLI turned on. I am now also running ARK with the new RTX cards in SLI getting anywhere from 80-100fps on epic and in 4K.

@DylanT30 have you tried using DDU to do a proper deep clean of the drivers and then to re-install?

On 10/12/2018 at 5:48 PM, Chris said:

This is simply not true. I have been running ARK on SLI for the past 3 years, and I continue to do it today. I use it to film all of our trailers. I usually see a 20-30fps increase with SLI turned on. I am now also running ARK with the new RTX cards in SLI getting anywhere from 80-100fps on epic and in 4K.

@DylanT30 have you tried using DDU to do a proper deep clean of the drivers and then to re-install?

Very interesting debate here as I just junked my R9 295x2 in SLI purely due to the fact that I read somewhere either in patch notes/forums that SLI wasnt propoeryl supported (perhaps it was a DX12 topic also). Nevermind as running a 1080ti with no issues now.

I had huge issues running SLi since Christmas, and the only help I got from support was that ARK isnt coded for SLI and will only use GPU.

It would be good for you to possibly add a thread on how SLI can be properly utilized rather than make your statement above when there is obviously a rather large contingent of players struggling with SLI here.

Also, thanks for replying.

On 10/12/2018 at 11:48 AM, Chris said:

I haven't, but I will certainly give that a shot! Thank you for replying :)

17 hours ago, Chris said:

Here is my SLI usage in ARK just now whilst taking screenshots for the new patch.

ARK_SLI_USAGE.png

My GPU 0 usage was around 83%, but my GPU 1 usage was only around 9% and I was getting anywhere between 50 and 70 FPS (depending on what I was doing at the time). Both GPUs are using the 416.34 drivers.

Archived