LAN Server cluster transfer

Currahee

So it's been a little time since we've played ARK. The family and I played on a local dedicated server.

I noticed this in the patch notes:

Released - April 5, 2018
Fix for allowing players to transfer between servers

Any possibility this gives LAN players the ability to simply filter the servers they're able to transfer to show LAN? We kind of got burned out and wanted to transfer between different maps, but alas that was not possible because of this strange limitation. I hope this possibility is fixed or at least still on the devs radar?

2 hours ago, Currahee said:

So it's been a little time since we've played ARK. The family and I played on a local dedicated server.

I noticed this in the patch notes:

Any possibility this gives LAN players the ability to simply filter the servers they're able to transfer to show LAN? We kind of got burned out and wanted to transfer between different maps, but alas that was not possible because of this strange limitation. I hope this possibility is fixed or at least still on the devs radar?

The issue that fix was referring to is not related to what you want to do.

When you setup a cluster on your lan and your game client is on the same lan you won't be able to see your cluster unless your router have NAT loopback capabilities. it's a limitation of how the ark server runs and the game browser sees your servers. It must look like your client in looking at your servers from the "outside".

I last week set up a "Cluster" on my lan running both Island and Rag maps. With the relevant UDP ports open on my fire wall I CAN see the other server in the cluster at beacon "Transfer to different server" option. I can also see both servers in the "LAN" bit of the Ark server browser.

Unfortunately, from inside the LAN I can not Browse Unofficial or Official servers while the LAN servers are running - Ark crashes (bug submitted). 

Both of my "LAN" servers are available on the internet & I have had several logins on them from over the internet. My experience is that it is not possible to run a LAN only setup with Ark which works through the in game server browser but is limited to LAN connectivity. (It is possible using ?bIsLanMatch, but here the transfer to another server list comes up blank. With this setting it is still possible to transfer Dino's & items to the beacon and fetch them from a different server - but character transfer is busted). An Ark server must be accessible to Steam / Valve servers so that it gets published in the Ark server browser.

As a last note all of the documentation I have seen around clustered arks speak about having to run multiple copies of Ark Server on the same machine. This is rubbish - with the correct port forwarding and a lan accessible location for clusterid=MyClust -ClusterDirOverride=L:\Ark_clust\ each desired map / game can run on a different machine in the LAN

In short if you follow the notes for setting up a cluster of Ark servers you should be able to play on multiple maps in your lan, and if you look at exclusivejoin, you can stop any internet access to your private servers.

Thanks for the replies all. I was hoping there was a fix in place, or coming, that would allow this easier. I'm not stranger to networking, I just don't like that I'd have to open up my home network to the internet to do something from home.  I've been day dreaming about some ARK again so I want to play, but I need to get multiple maps setup.  I guess I might give it a try...

On 10/10/2018 at 5:05 AM, Vaiks said:

The issue that fix was referring to is not related to what you want to do.

When you setup a cluster on your lan and your game client is on the same lan you won't be able to see your cluster unless your router have NAT loopback capabilities. it's a limitation of how the ark server runs and the game browser sees your servers. It must look like your client in looking at your servers from the "outside".

I have this enabled, and it works. You can definitely get LAN clustering today.

6 hours ago, Currahee said:

Thanks for the replies all. I was hoping there was a fix in place, or coming, that would allow this easier. I'm not stranger to networking, I just don't like that I'd have to open up my home network to the internet to do something from home.  I've been day dreaming about some ARK again so I want to play, but I need to get multiple maps setup.  I guess I might give it a try...

It is a good idea to setup a password for your servers. As long as your server names don't draw attention, and nobody can really join them, it will blend in with the sea of other password protected servers, and nobody will really care. :P

On 10/11/2018 at 6:13 PM, Currahee said:

I just don't like that I'd have to open up my home network to the internet to do something from home.

Too true.

The UE4 engine does allow for pure LAN matches to occur, but it seems that Ark's implementation of the server code requires any client to the server to authenticted with Steam / Ark master servers. I have managed to get stuff working with the ?bIsLanMatcth on the server & then the clients join with shootergame.exe 192.168.1.1:7777 (for example). However this fails with normal Ark. It can be made to work using a steam emulator (LumaEMU worked for me) to run the server code, but again the Ark server browser will not work so direct "transfer to a different sever" does not work. It is possible to upload items and creatures for transfer to the other servers on your lan, but character transfer must be done with file copying. 

On 10/13/2018 at 7:42 AM, DirkInSA said:

It is possible to upload items and creatures for transfer to the other servers on your lan, but character transfer must be done with file copying. 

I never thought of that ... I'm pretty sure item/dino transfers work fine. I can easily create a script to move my character files from one save location to another.... 

Could a work around be that simple? Upload items, log out, move my character manually and then log into the new server??

On 10/16/2018 at 1:33 PM, Currahee said:

I never thought of that ... I'm pretty sure item/dino transfers work fine. I can easily create a script to move my character files from one save location to another.... 

Could a work around be that simple? Upload items, log out, move my character manually and then log into the new server??

It is, I'm doing the same thing to transfer but is really annoying. I'm hosting, my friends outside my network transfers flawlessly.  I hope some day WC changes it to detect servers in the same cluster using also the LAN ip that is forcefully passed to the servers.

4 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

Yeah, it works like a bomb!

Sure does! Even set up a little scripting and web server so I can just load up my transfer page, it detects which map our characters are and gives us the option to move them to another server with a click of the button!

One small issue was that first time I transferred off a server and then back on the tribe wasn't owned by me anymore ... not a huge issue I guess and was easily fixed with a couple console commands. Very excited for some ARK now again that I can move freely between my own servers!  Thanks for the suggestion! Kind of feeling dumb I had never thought of it previously :D

• 2 weeks later...

Archived