Community Crunch 152: Extinction Chronicles V Next Week & Developer Diary!

Jen

On 10/11/2018 at 12:13 PM, gunsmith2265 said:

why don't you fix your game for a change. like if you don't have what it takes to make this game better then y'all need to sell out to someone that will. you can literally just be standing not moving around and dashboard.  fix the game.  y'all have the money to pay people for mod builds but can't even fix y'alls game. 

They are constantly trying to fix the game. But when it comes down to meshing they really can't do anything. here is a quote from them stating what I just said" When constructing a modern game, however, it's very likely that you need to use shapes that are more interesting to look at and interact with than a simple box or sphere - so you use mesh based collision. Mesh collision treats the surface of the mesh as the collideable surface, but it cannot be treated as watertight, and the physics system cannot guarantee that you don't pass through it". Now I ask a simple question. Do you think Super Mario Odyssey was a bad game due to the fact you could cheat out of bounds in the second world? If you do not know what I'm talking about here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSR7QScCfmU and the time stamp is 2:14. now did that ruin the game or was it just an unintended feature that can't get fixed due to a cut scene? I will defend Wildcard in everything they do. I actually liked Aberration it was a good map with a color scheme that I liked. do call it bad because of one thing and if you don't like people who mesh why not go to a single player. There no one can hurt your base.

Edited by EnderKnight

• Volunteer Moderator
55 minutes ago, EnderKnight said:

Do you think Super Mario Odyssey was a bad game due to the fact you could cheat out of bounds in the second world? If you do not know what I'm talking about here is a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSR7QScCfmU and the time stamp is 2:14. now did that ruin the game or was it just an unintended feature that can't get fixed due to a cut scene? I will defend Wildcard in everything they do. I actually liked Aberration it was a good map with a color scheme that I liked. do call it bad because of one thing and if you don't like people who mesh why not go to a single player. There no one can hurt your base.

Well that won't have ruined the Super Mario game, but you can't really compare what happened in that video to a PvP game where a similar glitch (or whatever you want to call it) with the map allows people to attack others with an advantage. That glitch in the Super Mario game may give the player an advantage but it is not an advantage over other players.

Also, to say "if you don't like people who mesh why not go to a single player" is a ridiculous statement. Essentially you are saying don't like it then play on your own in single player. People play PvP to play with or against other players, so can you not see how ridiculous what you just said sounds?

13 minutes ago, GP said:

Well that won't have ruined the Super Mario game, but you can't really compare what happened in that video to a PvP game where a similar glitch (or whatever you want to call it) with the map allows people to attack others with an advantage. That glitch in the Super Mario game may give the player an advantage but it is not an advantage over other players.

Also, to say "if you don't like people who mesh why not go to a single player" is a ridiculous statement. Essentially you are saying don't like it then play on your own in single player. People play PvP to play with or against other players, so can you not see how ridiculous what you just said sounds?

you call that statement ridiculous but its true. if you can't stand the hard cruel world of PVP, than play singleplayer. Meshing is going to be part of PVP for a long time until it gets fixed. so people might as well tough it out.

38 minutes ago, GP said:

Yes I do see how ridiculous I sound but I said that for a reason. My Mario example is almost exactly what is currently happening in ARK in that glitch the player gets an advantage much like in ARK's case a mesher will get the advantages. I used it as an example so that people can see that it is in more than just ark. Also I said to go to single player because there they can do whatever they want and not get punished by a mesher who comes along and attacks from a out of bound area. I didn't mean completely go single player but to those people that get mad at people that mesh it is a good idea. I myself am a single player person I will sometimes go on servers to see what they are like but I spend most of my time designing small not PvP related bases. Also I don't want the climbing picks or any of that removed from the game I don't mind them but they're not my favorite items but they shouldn't get removed because a few bad apples ruined the bunch. If you don't get what i'm saying well I cant help that but I think one thing is clear I don't hate anyone not even the meshers. The only thing I could think that Wildcard could do is make that engram not learn able. Their are a lot of people that get affected by this and I get it it's annoying to deal with but if some one is that mad at a GAME than they shouldn't be playing in a server with a lot of people they should be playing a server with not as many players and a strict staff.

Just found this but you called it a mostly PvP game when not even Popular users on steam call it that take a look

image.thumb.png.9881bab6ffb026cc25f91abc9ed87480.png

Edited by EnderKnight

I think another way is to make the mesh not a 1 way mirror cause in normal play when u look at ur surroundings and u see ground and mountains but in the mesh u see right through it thus making it like it's not there but if it was to be collideabble from the other way it would make it more difficult to mesh 

Ark is a wonderfully unique game, and you did a great job. I'm a developer but know nothing about game programming so my idea could be far off. It's not so much a mesh problem but a problem of players abusing the game mechanics. The solution is to ban them if it is too complicated or even impossible to fix the mesh. Record each steam id position during the game once every second. Should keep the database reasonably compact. That should give you after some time complete point cloud of legit player movements including unintentional brief undermeshing. Once the cloud is completed program the server kick out every player that is outside of the usual boundaries. Than ban after repeated offense. Fancy solution to this would be to use point cloud to teach a simple neural network to classify player action and ban after review. Plus of this is that if designed well it could catch more than just undermeshing but also other exploits. 

On 10/11/2018 at 1:11 PM, destructicon54 said:

you call them dumb, but i don't see you designing the game. do you know how to fix it? cause if you do, enlighten me, how are you smarter than wildcard, how are you going to fix and run the game better than them?

I can go into detail about how it can't be fixed because they used basic blue prints (blueprints are what the world is created from) from unreal engine to develop the game. Instead of designing and programing the blue prints for the game them selves. This game was originally a demo for unreal engine to showcase the it could do. Instead of going back and programing and design the blue prints from scratch like all game devlopers do they keep with what they had. Hence why they are pushing for an ark 2 because they know they can't fix it. Read what was posted do be a keyboard warrior they clearly state they can't fix it they can make it harder to mesh but it will always be a part of ark unfortunately. That's why they have to inforce their rules scrap the current moderation team since mostly all on Xbox and PS4 can be bought. 

4 hours ago, Justice4all said:

I can go into detail about how it can't be fixed because they used basic blue prints (blueprints are what the world is created from) from unreal engine to develop the game. Instead of designing and programing the blue prints for the game them selves. This game was originally a demo for unreal engine to showcase the it could do. Instead of going back and programing and design the blue prints from scratch like all game devlopers do they keep with what they had. Hence why they are pushing for an ark 2 because they know they can't fix it. Read what was posted do be a keyboard warrior they clearly state they can't fix it they can make it harder to mesh but it will always be a part of ark unfortunately. That's why they have to inforce their rules scrap the current moderation team since mostly all on Xbox and PS4 can be bought. 

I say the same thing destructicon54 did I DO NOT see you making the game. also you say that they can easily go away from Unreal Engine when in reality they can't. think for one second all mods are created through the dev kit meaning that those would not be supported by the game anymore. don't just say that they can just go away from it with out proof. Then you go on to mention ARK 2 which number 1 will probably run under the same thing and 2 Isn't even in the devs minds right now. They are just getting done with a 60 dollar game and 5 DLC's to go with it 3 of which you pay for. Now that they have finished the MAIN story they can get some time to relax and add small features through out the year. 

Edited by EnderKnight

• 1 year later...