Community Crunch 152: Extinction Chronicles V Next Week & Developer Diary!

Jen

it will definitey be the tek trike. but there is one thing that i just dont understand. (Now obviously the two different people i mention will have conflicting opinions thoes people who bought the tek skins from the store and thoes who did not) why do we need to have these 5 specific tek dinos if we already have the skins to buy in the store? I AM NOT saying that thats a bad thing but it feels kind of repetitive. what if i want a tek direwolf or a tek castroid. heck maybe i want a tek mammoth! is it not a possibility that you just tie the tek skin to the completion of an acheivement? or the the defeat of a boss? (i.e: defeats the center guardians on alpha = unlock tek trike and parasaur skin or finds all explorer notes = tek stego and tek raptor) i mean you guys did that for all the holiday / event cosmetics from halloween christmac valintines etc. I mean the tek dinos look cool but i think that i can safely say that we want somthing new(if i cant safely say that ill go jump in a gigas mouth).and correct me if im wrong but thats why all the dinos have a slot for a costume. (hopfully intended to be used by mor than just a few hats and a pair of glasses) 

and who else squealed like a little girl when they saw that extinction chronicles 5 is coming out next weeks?

i know i did?

• Volunteer Moderator
36 minutes ago, AcyanidePancake said:

it will definitey be the tek trike. but there is one thing that i just dont understand. (Now obviously the two different people i mention will have conflicting opinions thoes people who bought the tek skins from the store and thoes who did not) why do we need to have these 5 specific tek dinos if we already have the skins to buy in the store? I AM NOT saying that thats a bad thing but it feels kind of repetitive. what if i want a tek direwolf or a tek castroid. heck maybe i want a tek mammoth! is it not a possibility that you just tie the tek skin to the completion of an acheivement? or the the defeat of a boss? (i.e: defeats the center guardians on alpha = unlock tek trike and parasaur skin or finds all explorer notes = tek stego and tek raptor) i mean you guys did that for all the holiday / event cosmetics from halloween christmac valintines etc. I mean the tek dinos look cool but i think that i can safely say that we want somthing new(if i cant safely say that ill go jump in a gigas mouth).and correct me if im wrong but thats why all the dinos have a slot for a costume. (hopfully intended to be used by mor than just a few hats and a pair of glasses) 

and who else squealed like a little girl when they saw that extinction chronicles 5 is coming out next weeks?

i know i did?

They are bringing PC in line with console, which is why we are getting those Tek Dinos. There hasn't been confirmation either way that they won't continue creating new tek dinos, so there's still hope they will.

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, slejo said:

They usually adds tek for dinos that appears across all maps. So tek trike is possible, maybe tek doedicurus, ankylo, dodo, scorpion, spino maybe (but no spino in scorch).

That's completely wrong. They are releasing Tek dinos of those that already have bionic skins on Console. The remaining one's being Trike, Mosa, Quetz and Giga.

I expected more serious approach undermeshing issue like what is planned to address it. If your Exctinction map can be undermeshed so easily as others, that will be beautiful disaster. People should not recommand this game to anyone that is interested in PVP aspect of gameplay unless undermeshing is seriously addressed and solved by Wildcard. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, y0himba said:

Or you could simply NOT undermesh, and ban those who do, wiping everything they have.

As stated....  If you own a reaper or basilisk you are technically "undermeshing".  Legally of course, but undermeshing none the less.  So you are banning yourself.  There is no easy fix for something like this.  One of the easiest ones I can think of is better map design.

Posted 13 hours ago

At 1pm Eastern on October 11th we will be taking down some of our NA and EU servers for maintenance on PS4 and Xbox. We expect maintenance to last for approximately 2 hours. During this time the servers will not be running therefore time will not progress. Once the servers are back online, they will require re-adding to your favorites list as they will have new IP addresses. Below is a list of all affected servers.

PVE-EU-PS4ScorchedEarth212   New IP?

Edited by Maniek

23 minutes ago, Maniek said:

1-On what basis do you delete this server? 

There are a lot of players playing there and just moving to this server. 

2-I have been there for a month after removing the previous populated 209 server.

AND we have 2 days for transfer ? It's stupid!!!

Give a list of what servers we can go because the transfer server to server every month makes me nervous

MAINTENANCE dood . lol . its not being wiped

tek trike for def . though salty pvp players who are still moaning from pre launch about undermeshing is laughable . true the games broke in part but mostly playable that's why we are still here . alas knowing the problems and still playing through them is commendable but being butt hurt when you know the nature of the beast . just saying . time to put up or shut up

• Facepalm 1

I just recently quit because I lost my 131 character. I was casually transfering from 1 server to another and was booted “lost connection to host”. (Yes, I checked download survivor and went to every server I had joined recently) I sent in a ticket with full proof (picture of specimen implant and character name / stats). The GM offered me a 105 character with no tek grams... what kind of bs is that lmao. 

3 hours ago, brownievec said:

tek trike for def . though salty pvp players who are still moaning from pre launch about undermeshing is laughable . true the games broke in part but mostly playable that's why we are still here . alas knowing the problems and still playing through them is commendable but being butt hurt when you know the nature of the beast . just saying . time to put up or shut up

tell that to the players who loose hundreds of hours and effort from people meshing turrets. tell that to the "salty" players who are "moaning" because their game is getting RUINED by meshing

13 hours ago, BK said:

@Chris willoughby

Very well put and understood. I'm glad someone has spoke about meshing. As a developer I understand the headache and time it takes to fix things like this. I also applaud your team for interacting/policing the new servers planned for xbox as this will help, but it is still a band aid. I have a few ideas that may steer players away from some of these tactics. Like we both know...  it will never be 100 percent because of the nature of these types of games and the complexity behind them. Ive been playing since release as a top level tribe and know the ins and outs of the game. If you would be interested in hearing a few of the "better" band aids to complement the new dev presence on servers please send me a personal message.

Thanks for the info and the attempt to enlighten others on the subject.

Why not try something like making a timer that pushes things out the mesh that not ment to be there so a soon as someone or some thing get stuck they automatically pop out whether it was intentional or not

• Volunteer Moderator
13 minutes ago, Turbosport said:

Why not try something like making a timer that pushes things out the mesh that not ment to be there so a soon as someone or some thing get stuck they automatically pop out whether it was intentional or not

Then that would cause issues using Basilisk.

You need to make examples of cheater tribes!  Any decent evidence at all should be automatic wipe!  I have a ridiculous amount of evidence of a tribe meshing is and zero has been done other than replacing 10 crappy tames!  The tribe is openly admitting to the mesh in global because they know you won’t do anything!  Cmon we’ve spend a lot of money on this so enforce your rules and have quick/swift/harsh penalties and maybe it’ll slow it down!   Also just get rid of climbing picks and nerf the grapples guys cmon!!

I appreciate the explanation about meshing and I understand that this is a very hard problem to fix. I think you're missing a significant part of the problem, though: projectile collision only works on the front face of the mesh, and being able to shoot through from the underside is a massive advantage for meshers. You don't need to add an additional reverse-facing mesh or change the way the game renders back-faced or occluded textures, just the projectile physics. I can't say for certain if it could have other potential impacts (shooting from inside a dino might be an exception you'd want to make) or how easy it would actually be, but it seems like you could simply remove the back-face detection in the collision logic for projectiles. Yes, people could still exploit and get inside bases they couldn't normally, but they couldn't snipe or plant C4 or have their turrets shoot from under the mesh.

Another method of preventing this kind of thing would be to do a periodic check for back-face meshes in several directions from the player via a line-of-sight detection and record the player's location each time. If it detects more than a set threshold of back-faces within a certain range (should probably ignore very close ones for the cases where you clip into an irregular shape), it could do some more complex checks from different angles to determine that they're actually inside the mesh, and then move them back to their last known non-mesh location. This would add some overhead and depend on the ability to properly detect an undermeshed position, but it seems to me that a technique like this would address the problem far better than ad-hoc map and physics engine patches.

PS: Please fix the deathtrap loot crate that's inside the kill volume in the Ruins of Nosti cave, and the inaccessible one in the middle of the wall in the Old Tunnels cave on Scorched.

• Like 1