Selling in game items

dstarr

***To be clear, this is not a question about the rules and I am not planning to break these rules***

Throughout my time playing ARK I have come across MANY players to have sold in game items/dinos to other players. I was wondering the reasoning behind this rules and wanted to express my personal opinion of them.

Now as to why I believe this rule should be changed. In no way is it possible for this game to become "pay to win" as "pay to win" scenarios are usually when items are sold by the game itself to players creating an unfair advantage that only money can buy. If the sale is from player to player, time has already been spent taming/breeding that dinosaur or getting that item. There has been no unfair advantage. It is the same as trading in game items between players.

Now I also understand the point that it can cause people to go towards the game itself in the case that they are scammed but ARK cannot be responsible for out of game transactions.Yet another thing to think about is how it can positively affect the game. Imagine how many people would start playing or continue to play if they can have the dream to sell dinos to others. It can also keep people playing as not everyone has the time to spend hours on end taming that certain dinosaur or grinding for that certain structure they want to build. Being able to come home from work/school and be able to buy some turrets so you can survive the night for once. 

Another point is the fact that unofficial servers are allowed to sell dinos that they SPAWN IN! This idea is completely pay to win and people have even been scammed by server owners which completely takes down the counter argument of people going after the game for being scammed since this already happens. If you are going to allow server owners to sell spawned in items but not allowed players to sell items they worked for? This makes no sense. 

In another sense buying/selling is just like trading, except it creates more of an appeal to new players! If someone can trade a blueprint for a dino why cant they trade money for it? People are not paying for a specific item, they are paying for the time and effort it takes to complete a task in order to achieve that item.  

I would love to hear some other opinions on this and why you believe it should be and stay against the TOS, change my mind! Or if you agree with me, leave a comment as to why and your personal experiences! (Keep it formal)

Sorry for such a long read, but maybe this can start a change in the game with benefits for many to reap. Thank you! 

(Please do not lock, this is simply a discussion and not a complaint of the rules.)

So what I gather is you want the devs to implement a micro transaction system player to player. Much like an auction house with real currency.

We cannot compare unofficial custom servers to official as they do not need to abide by the ToS. They are enforced by their own admins who host said server.

players trade with eachother real money all the time if they want to take that risk, nobody will stop them. If they get reported with proof they are buying/selling for real money that is WC problem and their responsibility to enforce.

People have been selling for real money since the game came out on the black market sites and facebook groups, its really not hard to find these places.

Of course aside from the risk of getting your account banned in the process (if reported), you also risk getting scammed which losing your money I feel is more important. 

to each their own. 

unofficial servers are allowed to sell dinos that they SPAWN IN!

That is the reason you are allowed on unofficial as you are fitting the bill and selling could go towards paying for the server to remain active, they are the admin and it makes sense that they would be allowed to do whatever they wanted cause they OWN the server, technically as long as they pay.

Official is a controlled environment where WC(or partner) owns the servers and they fit the fill so its their rules.

1 minute ago, zeroBurnAcidCool said:

That is the reason you are allowed on unofficial as you are fitting the bill and selling could go towards paying for the server to remain active, they are the admin and it makes sense that they would be allowed to do whatever they wanted cause they OWN the server, technically as long as they pay.

Official is a controlled environment where WC(or partner) owns the servers and they fit the fill so its their rules.

Understood, makes a more sense when you put it that way. Just wondering why they have this rule on official and for what reason.

3 minutes ago, Demerus said:

So what I gather is you want the devs to implement a micro transaction system player to player. Much like an auction house with real currency.

We cannot compare unofficial custom servers to official as they do not need to abide by the ToS. They are enforced by their own admins who host said server.

players trade with eachother real money all the time if they want to take that risk, nobody will stop them. If they get reported with proof they are buying/selling for real money that is WC problem and their responsibility to enforce.

People have been selling for real money since the game came out on the black market sites and facebook groups, its really not hard to find these places.

Of course aside from the risk of getting your account banned in the process (if reported), you also risk getting scammed which losing your money I feel is more important. 

to each their own. 

Yeah I imagine not many sellers get banned (at least I hope not) until the players meshing and teaming are dealt with. Gotta keep those priorities straight :P

5 minutes ago, zeroBurnAcidCool said:

Exactly, these purchases on unofficial servers are considered "donations" to the server admin to support hosting costs and to keep the server running

1 hour ago, Demerus said:

Exactly, these purchases on unofficial servers are considered "donations" to the server admin to support hosting costs and to keep the server running

When I hosted my arma 2 Epoch server donators would get an admin spawned crate of building supplies. I still had to pay plenty out of pocket but it sure helped. I thought it was fair since i never spawned in weapons or vehilces that would make it pay to win, it was more pay to not have to chop wood all week.

23 minutes ago, Demerus said:

to each their own. 

Yeah I imagine not many sellers get banned (at least I hope not) until the players meshing and teaming are dealt with. Gotta keep those priorities straight

We run a unofficial PvE cluster and we have implemented a server-wide survivor currency known to us as ARc Bars.

Survivors each gain 5 ARc Bars per 15mins they are in game.

They can use those ARc Bars to buy items/resources and even dinos from the reward vaults , or sell/trade the ARc Bars to other survivors in deals they make on their own.

Making it open to do so on official would ramp up Dino counts even further.  The breeding farms would get bigger to keep pushing the envelope to make more money.  Tribes would start to try and take over whole servers with their overall Dino counts.  

They don’t want to spend $ supporting servers that are a 1 time cost host for someone else’s gravy train.

I want trading stands!  No currencey PLEAZE NO CURRENCIES.  But what I want to see is a craftable personal booth at low levels that allows players to make a trade item (or stack of item) for item that simply puts up a confirm popup so both parties item is inside the Trade Stand and the trade cannot occur unless both parties have agreed.  Then a bit of a lock so no one can pull their item out.  Then confirm again and suddenly the item(s) are in each players inventory.  To prevent bad trades.  As of now we have to throw our items on the ground during a trade and technically one player could scam the other if they picked up both items real quick like.

Plus it would just look really cool to have trade booths.  And if you could place them on saddle platforms you could role play a trader on hisr trade route!

f.jpg

- Anytime you're paying with real life currency to acquire in-game poop it's pay to win. Doesn't matter where or who the item comes from or how the seller acquired the item.
  The exception to this is if you pay with in-game currency like ingots etc.. Because obviously you have to farm in-game so it's more of a trade than a sale.

- There is also so much wrong with someone making a profit off of someone else's copyrighted work that I'm surprised it's even allowed on unofficial.

- Not to mention the box tribe selling poop storm this would awaken if it was allowed.

1 minute ago, Aylana314159 said:

Unofficials require money to run, so i doubt any profit is actually made.

Depends on the server's popularity. I've played on servers before where the owner has turned profit. Obviously it's not a long-term investment but for a couple of months he was doing pretty well. Servers are reasonably cheap. I pay more for my gym membership.

3 minutes ago, Jacira said:

Depends on the server's popularity. I've played on servers before where the owner has turned profit. Obviously it's not a long-term investment but for a couple of months he was doing pretty well. Servers are reasonably cheap. I pay more for my gym membership.

It's probably extremely rare for this to happen. Just look at the total number of unofficial servers.

Archived