Kill boundaries below maps.

Ryuk

Considering the whole issue with meshing that has been plaguing the community for a very long time I have thought of a way to reduce the effectiveness of this. Player made maps. Wildcard themselves will most likely never fix their maps, but it doesn't mean a competent modder couldn't solve the issue themselves. A long time ago when I was playing the center, I discovered a kill boundary within a hole in the side of the world. When I tried to crawl into the hole I took 500 damage and dropped dead straight away. This however could be implemented in many other places.

Could a kill boundary just below the mesh not work? I understand it would be a LOT of work on an already made map (so I don't expect wildcard do implement this themselves) but couldn't this effectively reduce meshing from happening??? A well made map that has a kill boundary below the mesh would actually be a major step up from the current maps we have. I understand the mesh of many maps is not flat and there is caves and other complications involved but I genuinely believe this could be done if a person was dedicated enough. If you're a map creator I highly suggest you look into this. There is a real niche right now for good maps.

• 3 weeks later...

It's easy to do, just a ton of work making tons of kill volumes.

At the end people will probably still find ways to clip through the terrain and find places without kill volumes. As you said the maps are not straight. You can't just put one large kill volume beneath the map.

There should be a more clever solution. For example setting up proper collision, so you can't place anything inside a mesh.

Archived