What is your favorite carnivore (No wyverns, drakes or bosses

GigaGod

For actual gameplay? Spinos, I play aberration mostly and just how much I can abuse their water buff in 2 out of the 4 biomes in the game really excite me. I liked baryonyx's who were also land/water dinos, but spino is just a bigger baryonyx that's just missing the stun. I liked them prior to their TLC and I love them after their TLC. 

For aesthetics though, I love megalosaurus. Like everyone says, it feels like a mini rex. My megalosaurus who was decent, was hitting more than my mediocre gigas. Its just non sense. Again ...mediocre lol. 

Just as a general dino for going for a spin on, I guess Id go Thyla or Bear. It used to be Bear but since Thylas were introduced I have used those a lot more. 

i do have to admit though that jumping on my Giga allows me the freedom to do what the hell I want without a care in the world - but a friend the other day told me to stay away from some dino in particular as biting it causes huge impact on my enrage limit - cant remember which he said to avoid though so I hope I dont lose my Giga :)

2 minutes ago, Anarki said:

but a friend the other day told me to stay away from some dino in particular as biting it causes huge impact on my enrage limit - cant remember which he said to avoid though so I hope I dont lose my Giga :)

That would be kentrosaurus. Best to avoid those atitude filled walking spike walls on a giga. They reflect a percentage damage back on a target, basically insta rage on a giga 

1 minute ago, AngrySaltire said:

That would be kentrosaurus. Best to avoid those atitude filled walking spike walls on a giga. They reflect a percentage damage back on a target, basically insta rage on a giga 

That would indeed be the one that he mentioned. Yes, Ill stay away from those. 345% melee Giga - really insta rage? 

Included in this list has to also be a Raptor. For a first mount they are absolutely Superb and fun. 

1 minute ago, Anarki said:

That would indeed be the one that he mentioned. Yes, Ill stay away from those. 345% melee Giga - really insta rage? 

I would need to try it out, been a while since I have ridden a giga or even gone near a kentro on a giga, but if memory serves me right yes it does. Cant remeber if one bite onto a kentro would be enough to enrage a giga but a few chomps down on one is just asking for trouble. Best to avoid kentros. 

9 minutes ago, Anarki said:

Included in this list has to also be a Raptor. For a first mount they are absolutely Superb and fun. 

Just quoting again to add a reference from the  kentro wiki.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Kentrosaurus

"Dangers

The Kentrosaurus can pick up the player using its main attack into its tail spikes, as well as applying the bleed effect. Although the Kentrosaurus will drop the player after some time, its attacks can still be devastating to even the strongest of players.

Because this creature seems to reflect a certain percentage of damage, using a tamed Giga against them is ill-advised. This will result in a massive reflection and an almost instantaneous filling of the Rage Bar."

King. Tamable, can jump incredibly far, has great natural armor (without charge light interference), has a natural ranged attack, and can bite harder than almost any other beast in Ark (besides the Giga).

Overall it's just an incredibly versatile mount that allows for almost any kind of engagement while on the move. The only other creatures I can think of that have similar capabilities are the Rock Drake, Wyvern, Basilisk or Thyla, and all of those are missing at least one of the above traits I mentioned (Wyverns are powerful but frail. Rock Drakes are very mobile but don't have a high dps or ranged attack. Thylas are fast and maneuverable but can be easily overwhelmed by larger species, and Basilisks are strong but aren't nearly as effective at traversing cliffs and rocky terrain.)

Archived