I can no longer support the state of my favourite game!

Grymmdjarr

Hey Studio Wildcard,

Ark: Survival Evolved, a hardcore survival game filled with dinosaurs, awesome maps, but also bugs, game breaking glitches and a support team that allegedly bans and wipes tribes for no fundamental reason for which only you, Studio Wildcard can be blamed. Does that worry a new player? They shouldn't worry, they should know that you are working on more content for us to enjoy, more game breaking glitches to hunt people away and more nonsense to make us hate this game.

I have played this game now for more than 2500h. Most of those hours were on the PlayStation 4, so I have no way of proving that to you, so just take my word for it. I started playing back in 2016, when the game released for the PS4. Ark: Survival Evolved, a game I had been watching and looking into for a very long time, finally available to me (back when I hadn’t joined the Master Race yet). I started playing on the regular Official servers, as I knew that Singleplayer just wasn’t (and still isn’t) for me. I enjoyed the company of other people, you know, back when they weren’t absolute twats. My first Official experience was great. I started out solo, eventually got my friends to play too and we formed a tribe. Clan an Craite, on Offical server 435 (#435forlife). That experience was awesome, and I knew that Ark was one of the best games I had ever played. It was so addicting, as there was always something to do. One was never bored or out of work. Be that farming resources, taking care of your current dinosaurs or extending your tribe with some more creatures to be part of your base. After a month or so we got insided by my own fault. I made a new guy admin, and eventually owner way too fast. After I had voluntarily left and requested my ownership back soon after that he decided to take all our tames to a Scorched Earth server and that was that. My friends quit, but I kept going. I built back up, and eventually we got raided. This cycle kept going on and on until the game officially launched. After that we started a new tribe on those servers, recruited quite a lot of people and built up in the Hidden Lake (The Oasis for some of you). That was all well and good, until we got wiped, again. This cycle kept going on, and on, and on. After a while I decided to start hosting my own servers, as that became available. That didn’t go so well in the beginning, but me, my friends and some random people later on had tons of fun on there.

This year, in 2018, I made the switch to pc. I finally thought it was time for me to play the real game. Ark: Survival Evolved was one of the first games I bought, for €59,99. After having played it for some while now, currently at 100h+ on pc, I am finally done with this game. For a number of reasons, as this game is no longer worthy of my support.

Firstly, the game has known many game breaking glitches. Undermeshing, duplicating, ddos-ing and countless more. This should not be the case, Wildcard. As a dedicated player and fan of your game I am deeply, deeply disappointed with the state of your game, currently. So many mechanics ruin the experience so many of us have loved. Your progress is what this game is all about. You build up a base, a tribe and an army of creatures, and that all can be taken away in a matter of an hour by someone who knows how to undermesh. What do you do about that? Not enough, that’s for sure.

Secondly, and this is really important to me. Today, on the first of October, I watched GTJack3d’s latest video, stating that he’s done with Ark: Survival Evolved too. His tribe and many other tribes with them got dev-wiped for building on locations they apparently weren’t allowed to build on. Your employee stated that he/she could impossibly review each case one by one, as you review each case the same way. They were dev-wiped for doing something they weren’t even aware of was forbidden. When you create a map, you create building options. On Aberration, your latest DLC, you have a few large areas called Surface areas, where the sun literally burns everything upon it’s rising. When people find places they can build where by your fault alone the sun-mechanic doesn’t burn things, you can not wipe that tribe for doing that. It is your fault, and your fault alone that they were able to build there. Much like it is your fault that people undermesh, that tribes dupe, that tribes glitch or that tribes do anything that isn’t supposed to happen. When you release a game, in whatever state you agree that this is the platform people can play on. The given fact that your platform, being Ark: Survival Evolved is broken is not on us, the hardworking, grinding and passionate community to blame. You should fix the holes through which people undermesh, hell, even reward people with in-game advantages for showing them to you so you can fix them. Reward people for showing gameplay of people using an aimbot. What really disappoints me is that you show the audacity to wipe a hardworking, grinding and passionate tribe like Gamma 5 for using a mechanic not fixed by you is utterly deplorable.

The third and last thing, for now, is that you have the audacity to release new useless and uninspired content like new versions of already existing creatures, new events no one likes (Arkeology, yeah…) and soon a whole new map for people to undermesh, exploit and abuse. All because you can not work on fixing your game. I understand, you have investors to please, fully understandable, but what will those investors say when they realise your game isn’t being played as much anymore because this amazing community finally realise how bloody awful the mechanical and in-game support for this game actually is? Releasing new content for a game that is already broken is also deplorable. You did it way back with Scorched Earth. Yeah, when the game wasn’t even fully released you were already out to grab us by the wallet.

This will be the end of my review, for now. For those of you whom read it through to the end, thank you. Hopefully I made you aware of what this game was, what it is and what it will be if we let this slide. Please do note that I do not make this review to hate on Studio Wildcard, but rather more to make them aware of what needs to happen. We, the community, want this game to succeed, not fail. We do not want new content if the current content is broken. We do not want a new map when you can still undermesh and glitch on the current ones. We do not want funky versions of existing dinosaurs when the current ones are already unbalanced and broken. We do not want to have to write these angry reviews with a small bit of hope that someone at Studio Wildcard reads this. We want fun. We care. We want to enjoy this (on paper) amazing adventure with you, Studio Wildcard. We want you to fix what is broken, and then enlighten our lives with awesome new content, which also works.

Thank you,

Hemdall

1 minute ago, Demerus said:

"No bugs exist"

Are you sure about that? How about people being undermeshed? Dinosaurs clipping through the ground and through structures, freezing upon loading in, maps not rendering in properly, turrets not locking on properly, gunshots blatantly missing its target even though it was a definite hit? There are more glitches in Ark: Survival Evolved than there are creatures available to tame, and then some... 

6 minutes ago, Demerus said:

They will fix that argy bug one day!

Nothing else matters until: 

"AFTER EXTINCTION"

Preach it my friend! Exactly my point. Their team seems to be too focused on making new content, instead of repairing the current content. Like, who do you make a game for? New players, or the existing passionate community who loves the concept that is Ark: Survival Evolved... I know the answer, do you Studio Wildcard?

2 minutes ago, Grymmdjarr said:

Well, if that is true that is pathetic. How come there are so many things wrong with this game but only one reported bug?

It's because reported bugs aren't being made public. I have reported 2 bugs...But why would I waste my time reporting bugs that are just ignored.

When the new PC Bug system was stated the old bug forums were made inaccessible.

1 minute ago, DirkInSA said:

I guess "recognised" is the key word. The rest (that we ALL know and hate) just are not really on the radar .... Don't want to get into a Ark is crap discussion, but the game kinda runs, and kinda has bugs but is REALLY fun .....

I couldn't agree with you more that the game (concept) is fun. The only thing is that the state it is in right now, and the future as it seems right now are not something I can passionately support like I've been doing since 2016. 

Have a good day!

3 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

It's because reported bugs aren't being made public. I have reported 2 bugs...But why would I waste my time reporting bugs that are just ignored.

When the new PC Bug system was stated the old bug forums were made inaccessible.

Even me: I have at least 3 "open" bugs lodged with wildcard (recent and a while ago). In the old days a ticket was closed after a week or so with the comment "Inactivity on request" or some such. Now the bug is in and suddenly Nothing Happens.

The game is somewhat playable and is fun which is why new content can be concentrated on rather than an exhaustive bug fix campaign. My biggest worry (given history) is that with the release of the new DLC a whole bunch of stuff that used to work OK will no longer be good .... 

35 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

I think the overall biggest worry is what exactly happens after Extinction. So many promises than been pushed till after. No one's know if WC will keep developing Ark or move on to Ark 2 or some other game.

No doubt Extinction will come with it’s own set of bugs (expected with all new content) that will need fixing and will be prioritised over anything else (again expected), further pushing back any immediate work on other projects.

I’m happy we’re getting content because it means I have more of reason to play again, however that doesn’t negate the outstanding issues this game has.

Priority is the key term here.

11 minutes ago, SaltyMonkey said:

No doubt Extinction will come with it’s own set of bugs (expected with all new content) that will need fixing and will be prioritised over anything else (again expected), further pushing back any immediate work on other projects.

Except the history of WC development has not shown this to be true. Look at all the problems still in the game with Aberration.

Just now, ToXiN said:

If there will be a ARK Survival Evolved 2 - I hope from the bottom of my heart, they will fire all the current developers, and moderators (even the ones on steam forums) and replace them with a more competent team.

Disgusting.

Basically you mean a more experienced developer creates a game superior to Ark.

3 hours ago, Demerus said:

They will fix that argy bug one day!

Nothing else matters until: 

"AFTER EXTINCTION"

After Extinction...when the game breaking Extinction bugs are fixed...they might fix older bugs. Or start a new content mod. Who knows lol

They keep releasing new content that comes with new bugs and breaks older game mechanics. I'm gonna keep playing and enjoying the game though. The bugs are part of the game at this point.

17 minutes ago, steelshiv said:

After Extinction...when the game breaking Extinction bugs are fixed...they might fix older bugs. Or start a new content mod. Who knows lol

They keep releasing new content that comes with new bugs and breaks older game mechanics. I'm gonna keep playing and enjoying the game though. The bugs are part of the game at this point.

Do you play official PvP?

I still play, but more casually with rates and mods for this.

5 hours ago, Aylana314159 said:

I think the overall biggest worry is what exactly happens after Extinction. So many promises than been pushed till after. No one's know if WC will keep developing Ark or move on to Ark 2 or some other game.

They will abandon ark after extinction and work on atlas and ark2. But even if they don’t, don’t be surprised if they still just abandon ark. That is just going to happen 

Archived