2 suggestions/requests

Mensana21

Hello ARK devs, 
Love love your game. I'd like to suggest 2 things :
1) I've been told about the "crashing upon startup" issue that the number of structures is a problem because of a RAM thing.
To reduce the structures, I tried to put my crafting stations in a large storage box (so I can get them only when I need something) but soon realised that this isn't possible at the moment. Can you allow us to do so in an upcoming uptade ? That would helps prevent the above-mentionned issue.

2) When you have advanced blueprints, you don't want to spend your engram points on their less advanced engram. Like if you have 2 advanced blueprints of a metal Pike, it's not cool to still have to spend engram points on a regular Pike engram to access the raptor pursuit. In addition of the advanced blueprints, I have the metal Pike themselves ; actually, I got so many that now I drop them whenever  I find them in satchels. 
So I suggest that gettting a blueprint unblock the less advanced engram, the same way getting an engram unblocks the prerequisited engram (like if you learn the metal shield, you'll unblock the wooden one as well). So when you have an advanced blueprint and a certain pursuit requires a specific engram, you'd be able to do it if you have the more advanced one, without spending your points pointlessly on a downgrade engram...  

@Mensana21 just regarding the engram points: if you craft a metal shield before you have crafted the wooden one you still use the total amount of engram points required for both items.  It doesn’t open it for free, it just automatically unlocks it.  So, if you didn’t have any structural engrams like foundations unlocked and you unlocked metal foundation, the cost in points would factor in all other ‘required’ engrams.

Ok to be fair, I knew the comparison I was making wasn’t exactly on point because of what you mention. 
But I couldn't see any interest into spending engram points on engram when you already have them in higher quality. So I made the comparaison anyways lol

This being said, taking into consideration if we have the item in our inventory or a higher quality blueprint of the required engram would be perfectly OK too (without unbloking the engram, which we would never use anyways). This way 1. the engram remains blocked, 2. as players we don’t need to spend points on engrams we don’t need and 3. we can still make the pursuit requiring the engram. Seems like a win-win situation to me. 

But all in all, this is not such a big deal, or at least not as much as my first suggestion; I lost all my progress twice on Single Player because of the “crash upon startup” bug. 
First time I was at level 72. I lost my Xp, my base, my tames, my blueprints, my Amber, everything! 

Start again at level 1… and got this same crash AGAIN at level 68 ! Again, lost all my Xp, my base, my tames, my blueprints, my Amber… 

I started all over again…(Am I crazy ?!)  and I’m now at level 52. 

So I hope you guys understand that this is not a little issue, this is an important issue that will make you lose everything if it happens to you. And FYI, I’m not playing on a crappy old phone, I’m playing on the last high-end iPad Pro with tons of memory left. So, if any changes as little as giving us the possibility of putting the Crafting Stations in storage box can helps this awful crash to happen, I really wish they make it. 
It’s hard when you lose everything. I encourage anyone who has other ideas that may help reducing the RAM to suggest them as well. 

8 hours ago, Mensana21 said:

Ok to be fair, I knew the comparison I was making wasn’t exactly on point because of what you mention. 
But I couldn't see any interest into spending engram points on engram when you already have them in higher quality. So I made the comparaison anyways lol

This being said, taking into consideration if we have the item in our inventory or a higher quality blueprint of the required engram would be perfectly OK too (without unbloking the engram, which we would never use anyways). This way 1. the engram remains blocked, 2. as players we don’t need to spend points on engrams we don’t need and 3. we can still make the pursuit requiring the engram. Seems like a win-win situation to me. 

But all in all, this is not such a big deal, or at least not as much as my first suggestion; I lost all my progress twice on Single Player because of the “crash upon startup” bug. 
First time I was at level 72. I lost my Xp, my base, my tames, my blueprints, my Amber, everything! 

Start again at level 1… and got this same crash AGAIN at level 68 ! Again, lost all my Xp, my base, my tames, my blueprints, my Amber… 

I started all over again…(Am I crazy ?!)  and I’m now at level 52. 

So I hope you guys understand that this is not a little issue, this is an important issue that will make you lose everything if it happens to you. And FYI, I’m not playing on a crappy old phone, I’m playing on the last high-end iPad Pro with tons of memory left. So, if any changes as little as giving us the possibility of putting the Crafting Stations in storage box can helps this awful crash to happen, I really wish they make it. 
It’s hard when you lose everything. I encourage anyone who has other ideas that may help reducing the RAM to suggest them as well. 

If I had faced that same crash on startup bug once, let alone twice I can safely say my iPad would no longer be able to play ark... because I would’ve thrown it through the wall.

i found having to start naked incredibly frustrating, so starting from scratch would not have been fun.

Do you have a PlayStation or Xbox? I don’t think they are having the same issues, and the game is so much bigger. The stuff you can do on there blows my mind. If I weren’t so attached to my creatures I’d make the switch in a heartbeat

@ScreamingViolet Yes, I do have an xbox360 and a PS4 Pro. I've played a couple games on Mac too and a lot on IOS. 
You're right about the Ps4 version, there's more content. I might get it. Plus I think buying it get you the Ragnarok dlc for free. 
Do you have a xbox 360 ? a Ps4 ?
@ScreamingViolet and the others, let me know what games you like, or have played countless hours on ! Feel. free to make recommandations ! 

You can find on this link pretty much all the games I've played: https://www.senscritique.com/Nietzschissime/collection/rating/jeuxvideo/all/all/all/all/all/all/list/page-1 

The green numbers on the left are the appreciation I've given on 10.
The number on the right are their average ratings.
It's 10 pages long. The first pages are mostly games on IOS. 

1 hour ago, Mensana21 said:

@ScreamingViolet Yes, I do have an xbox360 and a PS4 Pro. I've played a couple games on Mac too and a lot on IOS. 
You're right about the Ps4 version, there's more content. I might get it. Plus I think buying it get you the Ragnarok dlc for free. 
Do you have a xbox 360 ? a Ps4 ?
@ScreamingViolet and the others, let me know what games you like, or have played countless hours on ! Feel. free to make recommandations ! 

You can find on this link pretty much all the games I've played: https://www.senscritique.com/Nietzschissime/collection/rating/jeuxvideo/all/all/all/all/all/all/list/page-1 

The green numbers on the left are the appreciation I've given on 10.
The number on the right are their average ratings.
It's 10 pages long. The first pages are mostly games on IOS. 

i got really lucky. Last weekend there was a sale on, it said it was just for PS4 in Europe, but I managed to still get it and I’m in Australia - about as far as you can get from Europe lol. 

Managed to grab the explorers edition at 60% off. Around $50 Australia instead of $120. It includes the island, which is the map we have on mobile, as well as scorched earth and abberation too. And I’m pretty sure you can access other maps such as the centre and ragnarok as well.

its the same game, but on steroids. There’s a million and one different options, you can control virtually every aspect of play in one way or another. Plus there are a lot more creatures and twice as many caves, along with bosses and a whole bunch more too.

Ive only played sinGle player so far and have only spent a couple of hours checking stuff out but am looking forward to diving into it over the weekend. I’ll probably check out a few servers in pve and see if I find somewhere with people I click with, otherwise I think I’ll stick to solo on PS4 and maybe pursue multiplayer on mobile... if they bring in private servers. I neither want to deal with sausageheads nor be having to log into ps4 just to feed a Dino or two. 

And im not impressed that PlayStation have the audacity to charge so  much to be able to play games online. Ughhh! 

PS. The censor has edited my words. But I’m sure people can work out what I initially wrote rather than ‘sausage heads’ lol

Indeed, not so many people have voted for In Vitro, but it's a French site that mainly focus on films analysais (or at least that's what I take it for). The comments are generally very well developed and relevant. Judging by the comments, I believe that the majoriy of the members, or at the least the half,  study or work in the Industry. 

Personallty I use this site to keep in memory my appreciations of the games I played for future research, etc.
I did put some music and movies but it's not exhaustive and it's been a long time since I added anything in these sections, especially the music one. In  fact, even my list of tops games is not up to date. I was just not expecting someone to look beyond the link above xD 
And speaking of the "good old games', you  just made me realized that I forgot to put there Donkey Kong Banjo-Tooie, Pinochio, and all that stuff.

I played  Mario Bros on Nintendo 64 a lot too ^-^ Ah...... 

I meant  "In utero"  and Nevermind. 

I usually love games that are highly realistic, scary, or weird. I've escaped all kind of Escape rooms available as well. ^^) 

On PC - I think mobile version are available too - , I would suggest Obscuritas (scary !) and Fran bow (for that cool weird vibe).  ^^) 

@ScreamingViolet And yeah, you got very lucky !! 
Now, with all these new Maps and contents, the real challenge is to not loose your job and boyfriend if you have one ! xD

On 10/4/2018 at 11:12 PM, ScreamingViolet said:

I've only played single player so far and have only spent a couple of hours checking stuff out but am looking forward to diving into it over the weekend. I’ll probably check out a few servers in pve and see if I find somewhere with people I click with,

So how was the week-end ? 

Also have you experimented any bugs/crash on PS4 ? 

On 10/2/2018 at 3:00 AM, ScreamingViolet said:

I neither want to deal with sausagheads nor be having to log into ps4 just to feed a Dino or two. 

(...) 

PS. The censor has edited my words. But I’m sure people can work out what I initially wrote rather than ‘sausage heads’ lol

Haha, I thought  sausageheads was a funny Austrialian locution or something' ^^p  And don't you try, I know you don't feed any of your dinos Gurl !!! 

"And im not impressed that PlayStation have the audacity to charge so  much to be able to play games online. Ughhh! "

Yeah... And have you seen the price of the new pan ? US$ 10.99 for a virtual fry pan that does the exact same thing as the free tranq bow ? I just don't get it...

12 hours ago, HavelockVetinari said:

It’s all about the rawness of Bleach for me, then In Utero which still blows me away.   Nevermind was ace, but ultimately it was Curts downfall.  That and a poop load of heroin, booze and other class A-C drugs.  Oh, and a shotgun.  

I’m pretty sure it was Kurt, with a K rather than a C. That, or I have the wrong letter tattooed on me! 

Im just a slight fan of the man lol

@Mensana21 I had a blast trying out ark on the PS4, couldn’t try out anything other than solo as I’m being stingy and don’t want to pay PlayStation just to play a multiplayer game. It’s a total rort!  I was concerned about how long I would need to grind to get to the kind of level I’m at on mobile, but there are plenty of cheats for that kind of thing. Actually there are cheats for pretty much everything lol. Except to turn off being effected by temperature like we can get through the thick skin buff, or get rid of the annoying Dino that steals stuff straight out of your inventory.

im thinking that when they bring out private servers for mobile I’ll likely go that direction and play pve on mobile and solo on PS4

i also got yooka laylee for PS4 the other week. If you liked those late 90s early 00s platformers you would likely enjoy that. Made by a lot of the people from banjo Tooie.

You know what!? After I had posted that I looked and thought - “oh bugger.  I wonder how many will start going off on one that it’s actually Kurt with a K.  Well if you believe everything you read - esp the sleeve of ‘Bleach’, then you will know his true name is Kurdt Kobain! The wife is a massive fan too.  I love em but have other bands I prefer.  I would absolutely, positively recommend an English band that go by the name ‘Slaves’. Two guys, one on a drum kit the other on an electric guitar.  I am 40 in December.  This band has made me feel like a teen again.  Proper songs with meaning.  A bit grunge a bit punk a lot friggin amazing! LISTEN NOW!!!!!

6 hours ago, HavelockVetinari said:

You know what!? After I had posted that I looked and thought - “oh bugger.  I wonder how many will start going off on one that it’s actually Kurt with a K.  Well if you believe everything you read - esp the sleeve of ‘Bleach’, then you will know his true name is Kurdt Kobain! The wife is a massive fan too.  I love em but have other bands I prefer.  I would absolutely, positively recommend an English band that go by the name ‘Slaves’. Two guys, one on a drum kit the other on an electric guitar.  I am 40 in December.  This band has made me feel like a teen again.  Proper songs with meaning.  A bit grunge a bit punk a lot friggin amazing! LISTEN NOW!!!!!

Oh my! You have proved you yourself a NIRVANA fan (it’s meant to be all caps apparently) with the Kurdt Kobain comment. We are quite close in age, my 40 is coming up fast. Funny thing about my birthday, I managed to be born on Kurt Cobain birthday! On his 12th birthday no less, so on top of sharing all the regular astrological stuff, we are also both born in the year of the goat. 

I will definitely check that band out.  I miss the days of grunge and “alternative” music. When you could walk out of the house in yesterday’s clothes and it was considered cool rather than embarrassing. The days before work, bills, children! Those were the days lol

@ScreamingViolet Thank you for accepting me as a true NIRVANA (all caps, see) fan. I have been waiting for years for someone to let me know that I actually like them. ?  I’m looking forward to my 40th.  Yeah I have bills, kids, a proper job where people’s lives can actually be affected if I don’t turn up, but I’m never giving up my love for music or who I am for any bloody number!  ????? Me and the lovely wifey are going to see Slaves next month as a birthday treat.  I’m staying young by thinking young and trying to keep those pesky, middle aged, mature thoughts at bay for as long as I can.  And anyway, I always remember being a misfit in the true sense of the word, as I could never quite fit into the mainstream crowd.  As a youth, being alternative/grungy/rocky/leftfield made me realise that being cool was whatever I wanted it to be and screw everyone else. I let go of the screw everyone else as I got older but kept the rest.  You’re cool, I’m cool. We’re mostly all cool except for a few and that’s probably because they were broken by their carers and society, sometimes religion is involved.  I don’t believe in God or an afterlife, but I choose to do the right thing and try to be a good person because that’s what I believe is right, plus I work with those who suffer the most due to neglect and abuse of horrific proportions - usually meted out by their primary caregivers. This I do because it is right, not because of emotional blackmail or for fear of punitive repercussions.  I kind of digress, The point is this: live YOUR life, not other people’s idea of what your life should be.  Your will, loved ones, friends, family and modern medicine have probably all recently played their parts in your ongoing recovery.  When you feel as good as you can, go grab life by the family jewels and live the crap out of it.  You really thanked me for calling you young once. I thought you were like 60 or something. You ARE young! If you want to wear yesterday’s clothes, wear them. As long as your not hurting anyone, I say, do whatever makes you feel good.  Who cares what others think!? When you’re lying on your deathbed you won’t be regretting your fashion sense/style nor  will you be caring about the look you got from that cheeky moo in the shops when you had chocolate stains down your top. Love life, love yourself (especially if no-ones around and things have been a bit dry on the intimacy front)! ✌️ 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/1/2018 at 1:50 AM, Mensana21 said:

Hello ARK devs, 
Love love your game. I'd like to suggest 2 things :
1) I've been told about the "crashing upon startup" issue that the number of structures is a problem because of a RAM thing.
To reduce the structures, I tried to put my crafting stations in a large storage box (so I can get them only when I need something) but soon realised that this isn't possible at the moment. Can you allow us to do so in an upcoming uptade ? That would helps prevent the above-mentionned issue.

2) When you have advanced blueprints, you don't want to spend your engram points on their less advanced engram. Like if you have 2 advanced blueprints of a metal Pike, it's not cool to still have to spend engram points on a regular Pike engram to access the raptor pursuit. In addition of the advanced blueprints, I have the metal Pike themselves ; actually, I got so many that now I drop them whenever  I find them in satchels. 
So I suggest that gettting a blueprint unblock the less advanced engram, the same way getting an engram unblocks the prerequisited engram (like if you learn the metal shield, you'll unblock the wooden one as well). So when you have an advanced blueprint and a certain pursuit requires a specific engram, you'd be able to do it if you have the more advanced one, without spending your points pointlessly on a downgrade engram...  

@WarDrumKeys can you have another look at these suggestions?

I have a full suit of Chitin armour on, but I can't start the Exterminator pursuit because I don't have the Engrams for 2 Chitin parts... It's really a waste of Engram points when you already have the items (mostly gotten from free gifts or rewards for pursuits or tributing).

On 11/12/2018 at 5:15 AM, JB1980 said:

@WarDrumJordan can you have another look at these suggestions?

I have a full suit of Chitin armour on, but I can't start the Exterminator pursuit because I don't have the Engrams for 2 Chitin parts... It's really a waste of Engram points when you already have the items (mostly gotten from free gifts or rewards for pursuits or tributing).

You do have the option of using the mindwipe tonic to re assign your engram points.

so if you were to spend the last of your engram points on the chitin parts you need, once you finish that pursuit you can use the mindwipe tonic to get all your engram points back and only spend them on the things you need. However, you might actually need the chitin blueprints to be able to learn further engrams (flak Armor needs you to have them I believe), so it wouldn’t be a waste afterall.

6 hours ago, JB1980 said:

Thnx, might try that. I think I'm not sure how it exactly works though. Do you get the amount of Engram points suited to your level?

Besides that I still think it should be changed. I also have Flak armour already without engrams I think...

What happens is it wipes out every engram you’ve ever learned and gives you back all your engram points. Then you can use the points to relearn the engrams you want. 

So if you learn the full set for chitin Armor and craft it. Then you use the mindwipe tonic and have all of your points refunded. You get to keep your chitin Armor but if you want to craft it again you would need to relearn that skill and pay for it with your engram points.

its pretty awesome and the only hitch is that you can only do it once per level, and the higher up you get the longer it takes to level up, so you have to make smart choices on which engrams to get when you’re on a higher level.

does that make sense?

Archived