How is Ark's PvE life these days?

Irk

if you pve i'd recommend single player, get more done a lot quicker and have time for another game as well, or enjoy dc's, pillars, no taming with event going on, sittin on your butt all day, all the usual things with a dlc coming soon to encounter the same issues, while the devs have fun in dino mode killing all the new players like i don't know they do that.. ;) but yea idk

1 minute ago, Aylana314159 said:

There is a setting tha allows this, but most unofficial servers turn it off to prevent cheated item/dino coming to server.  (At least for steam PC servers)

Inam runnIng My oWn server we can see the itEms  When its DisablEd but qe CannOt See it when its EnablEd. Playing on xbox

There are still a few PvE legacy servers that are fine - you do take the risk that they might be shut down, but it's not too likely if you pick one of the busier ones - message me if you want to come to legacy & I'll sort you out a starter pack on the one I play on - very friendly, hardly any pillar spam, not tame capped (and unlikely to be as it's isolated) - PC though so if you're on another platform then it won't work ?

7 hours ago, Irk said:

It has been a while since I played, but I'm considering jumping on an official server and giving it a whirl.

Is pillar spam still an issue?

Are official servers still just a barren, spawn-less wasteland of lag?

Pillar spam? Yes.

Spawnless? No.

Lag? Occasionally, but way less than it used to be (at least on my PS4 server).

My advice: Look for a less populated server so you don't collide with other players business and their structures too often.

I'm on such a server and having a good time.

8 hours ago, Irk said:

It has been a while since I played, but I'm considering jumping on an official server and giving it a whirl.

Is pillar spam still an issue?

Are official servers still just a barren, spawn-less wasteland of lag?

I've recently moved to unofficial pve. It's loads better than officials. It will be a long time before I go near an official server again both PvP and PvE

I have played on official servers for close to a couple of years. Recently, I started playing on unofficial servers. I was apprehensive at first but wow I wish I did it sooner. Just have to find the right servers/community with the right settings. If your heart is set on official servers, I would recommend trying to find an older server. Everyone is looking for the brand new servers that just open up. I am under the impression that older servers are an after thought for a lot of players. Eventually players will stop playing and free space does open up, especially now that school is in session. I’ve done this myself.

6 hours ago, Sphere said:

Why would you play official PvE? Missing out on the real game by playing that crap.

This. I was apprehensive to try unofficial servers out but when I did I got hooked. Instead of spending time with pillar wars, you spend time doing the things you truly want to do. There are plenty of good communities out there to join. Highly recommend getting off official servers.

PVE is decent depending on server. It's a bag of gems, sometimes you get something good, other times you get complete garbage. This principle applies to PVE servers as well.

In regards to pillar spam, it is very much a thing. Solution? Ask the person to remove, or live somewhere else. On most servers there is plenty of room to live, and the somewhat-useful pillar changes make distant pillars decay if you don't go by them frequently. This makes living on big maps like Island/Rag easier to find space. However, not so much on Aberration.

Servers: Ragnarok looks/feels the best to play on, however 90% of servers are tame-capped throughout the day. You can still get by and tame, but breeding will be difficult because when the server is tame-capped, incubation time does not go down. Island/Center/Aberration maps are less likely to be capped vs. Rag.

Lag? Expect it on weekends. People are off work/school, and coupled with 2x, ping gets bad at times. From my experience, Ragnarok has been the least laggy, with Aberration being the most.

Recommendation: Try what you like and move on from there.

6 hours ago, Rotix said:

This. I was apprehensive to try unofficial servers out but when I did I got hooked. Instead of spending time with pillar wars, you spend time doing the things you truly want to do. There are plenty of good communities out there to join. Highly recommend getting off official servers.

This is what I'm talking about. On top of the fact, that you actually get S+ content now, instead of when Wildcard gets around to "SoonTM". Also can play with castles and keeps content. These 2 mods are awesome! :D

PVE isn't as bad as it may seem.  The pillar spam is for two primary purposes... First it keeps trolls (frequently Chinese or Russian) from foundationing resources.  On official release it took us a few hours too long to pillar the huge metal mountain on Center and a Chinese tribe covered it in thatch foundations.  Similarly, it keeps trolls from building things too close to your base.  A fence foundation has less blocking area than a thatch foundation, so a troll can easily build a thatch foundation and prevent you from building inside your own fence walls.

The noob spawns are typically the most affected by pillar spam, typically because they're "easy" areas where large tribes got started eons ago and just made lots of giant bases.  Obviously since most everyone starts there that's where most bases are.  Head out a ways and things are typically quite different.  Recent changes in pillar decay have improved this.  A few years ago on Center the entire snow biome and swamp were pillared... land with no bases in 4 render distances.  But today it's very much open in the remote parts.

There is an ongoing issue with tame limits.  Everyone will always say "it's capped" when someone logs on and asks, regardless of whether or not it is at that moment.  The reason is everyone's concerned about people migrating in from other servers and making it more difficult to get their own tames.

There's 2 ways around this... 1st is to simply barter / trade.  PVE is great with trading, and a few metal ingots will go a long way at getting some basic tames like a Pteranadon or such.  You can typically barter for boss-level dinos as well, but obviously that requires significantly more resources than someone who's just logged in.

The 2nd way around the tame cap is just to be patient and persistant.  Eventually someone on the map will loose a tame.  Or a bit less often, but still with some regularity, some large tribe will log out and let their tames expire.  Tames auto expire now in 6 days.  If a solo player takes a week long vacation, every tame of theirs is automagically wiped.

I started out again after roughly a year hiatus.  I had no tames, no gear, and the tame limit was capped.  Within a few hours I'd acquired around 3 tames.  I then joined another tribe who had recently moved in from a different server, and they had around 20 tames.  Presently, around 3 weeks later, we have close to 90.  Around 1/2 of those were traded for.  The other half we simply were patient and grabbed a tame when a slot opened.  This doesn't mean you have to time your large tames to an opening either... Tame a dodo when it's open.  Kill the dodo when you tame a Rex and it isn't.

Archived