Argentavis breeding help needed

ScreamingViolet

I’ve put a pair of Argentavis together in a small-ish box building and have set them both to wander, but don’t seem to be getting anywhere.

I got two unfertilised eggs right at the star but that was it. They’ve been in there around 3 or 4 real world hours and am just wondering if I’m doing something wrong? Or are Argentavis difficult to breed?

any help is gratefully appreciated.

cheers

@ScreamingViolet If your not playing a Barry White vinyl they’re not gonna ‘get it on’. I can only guess that the Engram for a record player is given after the swamp cave..... lol.  

Dinosaurs seem to mate like mammals in game e.g; when they’re close enough to each other the red icons appear above their heads to indicate mating - not the pink love hearts, that’s to indicate mate boost.  They need to stay within a set distance of each other for a specific time to mate, then a fertilised egg will be produced. If they wander too far from each other then the ‘timer’ will be reset and they will have to mate again for the specific duration.  I haven’t bred any flyers yet, but when I do i’ll put them into a room that they can both fit in but can’t really move to overcome the ‘reset timer’ problem. Hope this helps...

13 hours ago, HavelockVetinari said:

@ScreamingViolet If your not playing a Barry White vinyl they’re not gonna ‘get it on’. I can only guess that the Engram for a record player is given after the swamp cave..... lol.  

Dinosaurs seem to mate like mammals in game e.g; when they’re close enough to each other the red icons appear above their heads to indicate mating - not the pink love hearts, that’s to indicate mate boost.  They need to stay within a set distance of each other for a specific time to mate, then a fertilised egg will be produced. If they wander too far from each other then the ‘timer’ will be reset and they will have to mate again for the specific duration.  I haven’t bred any flyers yet, but when I do i’ll put them into a room that they can both fit in but can’t really move to overcome the ‘reset timer’ problem. Hope this helps...

I had put them into my taming pen which is 6x4. Ive had two Caron’s in there regularly churning out fertilised eggs so I figured it would be ok in regards to the space issue. I’ve just cut it down to a 2x2 section. Fingers crossed that works.

oh, and I switched the soundtrack too! lol

when you breed do the stats of the offspring rely on the parents stats at the time of breeding or is it from when they were tamed? Or imprinted upon?

They are certainly not feeling the vibes from Barry.

i sectioned off part of the enclosure they’re in so that they had no choice but to get close and cosy, but did so using door frames without the doors and of course one escaped. I’ve fixed that and closed them in, but still no joy.

How life long does it usually take to get these guys to breed? My others spit out fertilised eggs regularly.

15 hours ago, ScreamingViolet said:

They are certainly not feeling the vibes from Barry.

i sectioned off part of the enclosure they’re in so that they had no choice but to get close and cosy, but did so using door frames without the doors and of course one escaped. I’ve fixed that and closed them in, but still no joy.

How life long does it usually take to get these guys to breed? My others spit out fertilised eggs regularly.

Lol, maybe it’s time to get another album? 

I had a quick go at making a mating pen for my argy’s.  Made a 2x2x2 pen, put them both in and added some slopes roofs, set them both to wander and checked the progress. They mated really quickly.... you need a cold place to incubate them though. Where I am is too hot at 24•c. 

98E7EE3B-0A71-4D06-B511-4430B0A20F77.jpeg

73FD9422-0DFD-4C82-8B41-B1B8F8B29938.jpeg

Oh, and about the breeding stats;  it’s the level the creatures are once initially tamed that is the base level for the level stat. EDIT AFTER MATURING:  I think that the other stats may be calculated differently because my new argy has a low level but high stats in certain areas... hmmm

I had to take my egg to a base I have just before the snow and put it next to a fire to incubate it without losing health. I can’t put any more screenshots or I would show the wee yin off.. 

777CA32B-4987-48E5-A321-ECC87BCDDDC3.jpeg

They finally got down to business and I have my first fertilised egg. Yay!!

I know I need to keep it at a certain temperature and have crafted an air conditioner to help with that, but I’m just wondering if I need to put it in an enclosed space indoors, or can I set it up outside somewhere?

very excited about becoming a grandma!!

8 hours ago, ScreamingViolet said:

They finally got down to business and I have my first fertilised egg. Yay!!

I know I need to keep it at a certain temperature and have crafted an air conditioner to help with that, but I’m just wondering if I need to put it in an enclosed space indoors, or can I set it up outside somewhere?

very excited about becoming a grandma!!

Congrats on your new arrival!! 

You need to put that air conditioner in a small, completely closed room - If you put an air con outside then you are essentially trying to cool down the entire ARK with the aforementioned (I’m constantly trying to tell this to people at work who have the windows open when the air con is on!). You may need a fire as well depending on temp.  I don’t have the Engram points required to craft an air con unit so I put it next to a fire in my base near the snow (average temp is about 5• outside).  The temp range to incubate is frustratingly small - 12-13.5•c, so unless you place it somewhere perfect it’ll die before it incubates completely.  I just dropped the egg and checked it’s status.  If it was too hot or cold then I picked it up and tried again.  Let me know how you get on with the air con and remember - a smaller space will mean less a/c units or fire to cool/heat. 

On 9/29/2018 at 7:01 AM, HavelockVetinari said:

The pink love hearts mean mate boost? I always thought they meant that dino was ready to breed. Of course, now that I think about it (which is usually the problem, not thinking) I've seen males with those pink hearts, and as we all know, males are always ready to breed. Lol.

So. Mate boost. Hmmm. Need to research.

Thanks Scotsman! You educated me without intending to. Awesome.

- Rakkasan

19 minutes ago, Rakkasan said:

The pink love hearts mean mate boost? I always thought they meant that dino was ready to breed. Of course, now that I think about it (which is usually the problem, not thinking) I've seen males with those pink hearts, and as we all know, males are always ready to breed. Lol.

So. Mate boost. Hmmm. Need to research.

Thanks Scotsman! You educated me without intending to. Awesome.

- Rakkasan

No problems my American - with possible Celtic roots - friend! 

You see them in the wild too, that’s why I initially looked it up. This is what wiki page has to say;

“A Mate Boost is when a creature has at least one nearby allied creature of the same species and opposite gender, which gives the two of them a Mate Boost. Creatures that are Mate-Boosted will receive a bonus to their damage and resistance of about 33%, and wild creatures will be more willing to come to the aid of their mate. If a creature is Mate-Boosted, a pink heart  will appear above the creature's name.” 

I managed to kill my first attempt at grand-babies, but gladly have a newly fertilised one to take its place, hopefully no one will notice.

ive got the air con and all that, but how do I control the temperature? Is it just a case of the air con cools the room and fire heats it up? And just hope you can hit the right zone?

Darn, my pachys were so easy to breed, they did everything for themselves until the kid got hungry that is. They kept laying eggs and they kept on hatching (albeit during the baby boom event), mind you I did discover quite a few dead babies in their stall... and no dingoes were to be found!

fingers crossed the latest egg will create successful spawn.

Thank you, Ill take my egg out of the fridge and try to get it to hatch ?.

How long does it take to raise a baby? Like, how long will I need to stay at my base once it hatches?

and do the teddy bears and candy speed up the process? Or do they just improve the stats of the baby? Basically I. Just wondering if they are worth it.

7 hours ago, ScreamingViolet said:

Thank you, Ill take my egg out of the fridge and try to get it to hatch ?.

How long does it take to raise a baby? Like, how long will I need to stay at my base once it hatches?

and do the teddy bears and candy speed up the process? Or do they just improve the stats of the baby? Basically I. Just wondering if they are worth it.

Hey @ScreamingViolet, hope you are well?  It took 5 requests to get a fully matured, 100% imprinted argy - 5 x 35mins - 2h55m (approx)).  I haven’t used the bears, so I can’t comment about them.  I do spend 5 amber on an eerie candy for the final request though; I was never able to achieve the full 100% through normal waiting times (closest I got was 98.7% but this still gave 30% buffs), so I tried out the candy because I am a bit of a perfectionist and have achieved 100% for everything I’ve raised so far. You place it in its inventory and ‘remote use’ item when required.  It then drops the timer to 0 so you can complete the request instantly.    

I now follow the same pattern when raising babies:

Complete requests (in the boring way) to raise the babies until the final request.  If you can achieve the 100% in the timeframe then just do it otherwise I buy a candy, use the item and complete the request (I make sure I can complete the request immediately).  The adolescent creature will now be 100% imprinted but will still be maturing.  There will be another request to complete in the HUD of said creature which you can ignore (I initially panicked until I thought “duh! It’s already imprinted 100%).  You can then either wait for it to mature or just leave it until you’re ready. Make sure it has lots of food or access to a feeding trough. 

This is my way, you may, however, find a better way for your style of playing. 

1E7F81DE-B319-4B54-B43D-5B4BD191367C.jpeg

12 minutes ago, HavelockVetinari said:

Hey @ScreamingViolet, hope you are well?  It took 5 requests to get 100% imprinted argy - 5 x 35mins - 2h55m approx)   I haven’t used the bears, so I can’t comment about them.  I do spend 5 amber on an eerie candy for the final request though; I was never able to achieve the full 100% through normal waiting times (closest I got was 98.7% but this still gave 30% buffs), so I tried out the candy because I am a bit of a perfectionist and have achieved 100% for everything I’ve raised so far. You place it in its inventory and ‘remote use’ item when required.    

I now follow the same pattern when raising babies:

Complete requests to raise the babies until the final request.  If you can achieve the 100% in the timeframe then just do it otherwise I buy a candy, use the item and complete the request (I make sure I can complete the request immediately).  The adolescent creature will now be 100% imprinted but will still be maturing.  There will be another request to complete in the HUD of said creature which you can ignore (I initially panicked until I thought “duh! It’s already imprinted 100%).  You can then either wait for it to mature or just leave it until you’re ready. 

This is my way, you may, however, find a better way for your style of playing. 

1E7F81DE-B319-4B54-B43D-5B4BD191367C.jpeg

I’m doing really well thank you ? 

thank you for the super detailed, 4K description. I’ve been reading different things on forums and in the wiki, but they’ve been as clear as mud. So this is incredibly helpful.

I think I’m going to wait for the weekend to hatch it, might even collect a few more eggs over next two days as well, just in case. Thank goodness we are in single player and can save the game if we need to. Raising babies in pvp must be crazy. 

It will be sad to have to leave my current argy behind, but with stats like you got it would just be silly to use the much lower tame.

Ive managed to get me and my Direwolf to the artefact in the lava cave without jumping in. (I see how easy it must’ve been to end up in the soup) my only problem is that I’m a bit lost in the cave and haven’t found the exit yet lol. I am using the thick skin buff, it’s by far the coolest thing I’ve bought with Amber. You don’t have to stress about the temperature and it lets you stay in the snow, or in this instance the lava, for as long as you need. 

Next goal is to set up to get a Direwolf out of the snow cave. I ventured in there the other day just to see what it’s like, but was quickly dead! Am going to try and follow what you said the other day to get myself a good breeding pair. Very excited!

Archived