Dire Wolves ? in caves

ScreamingViolet

1 hour ago, JB1980 said:

Finally I prepared going in this cave (after dying in the south cave, the first I visited (thanks to pursuit) and got a bit scared).

Due to some videos and this topic I tried with a Direwolf (level 21), no luck. Then I tried with a Gigantopithecus (level 20). That was quite easy, only downside is that he can't collect meat or chitin.

So I tried again, this time with a Carno (level 21). Also quite easy, but he got unconscious so I retried and brought enough stinberrys and stimulant. Now no problem at all. After getting back he was 8 levels up (watched an add for 2XP and collecting the notes gave 4xp). Maybe not so much chitin, about 400.

Tamed a Dung Beatle while getting to the artifact. 

The artifact sadly enough only gave me a grappling hook and chitin blueprints...

Single player

Day:243

Level: 69

Since my original post I’ve now completed 4 of the caves.

southern cave x 2 

lava cave x 2

central cave

and today the swamp cave.

*im pretty certain something weird happened as I went from around 400k exp to 800k exp by doing this cave. I’m playing solo, was lvl 80, but after the exp jump I’m on 86.

My direwolf was between level 40 and 56 with extra points pumped into health (now 1200) and melee.

i strongly recommend taking a dire wolf into the caves. I raked in around 2,000 chitin from each run through. Must admit that we died a few times. Even after I skitefully mentioned to @HavelockVetinari that I had made it through the lava cave without sacrificing my pet pooch to pele, I somehow managed to fall in with her not once, not twice, but three times! Thank god for the save slots lol.

a number of times I had to stop and pump her up with stim juice because the scorpions kept hitting her. At one point I got so desperate as her torpor was rising that I jumped off and searched the bags for stray stimberries - I haven’t bothered with those bags for what seems like ages. Also had to force feed her pretty much every single piece of meat she picked up... and there was a LOT!

incredibly underwhelmed by what I received from the obelisk in return for my hard earned artifact. Also unimpressed by the fact that I had to go through it all again today for my daily task, only to get the same underwhelming reward.

Now it’s time to prep for the snow caves and get me some high level puppies to breed, so that my in-named direwolf can retire from jumping over lava lol.

What are you doing that your dog almost got knocked out and killed in the swamp cave?! I use a frog with 600 life and I've only dropped below half once, and only gotten knocked out once because I more or less got stuck on to of scorpions. Also I kind of cry whenever someone loses a pet in the lava cave because you don't need any gear in the lava cave at all just go fast turning right and it might take a few tries but it's pretty much free longneck rifles, for example the 595 mastercraft longneck I got yesterday, the actual rifle not a blueprint. 

And only one snow cave can even fit a mount, the whitesky peak cave, the other cave needs a shotgun and going right until it's a cliff then go left

57 minutes ago, JB1980 said:

I tried central cave again with my level 25 Direwolf. Went much better this time, way more chitin of course. Only downside is that I get hit by the Pleura, so I loose armor. That doesn't happen on a Carno...

I just got scuba gear from a station, so I can go try the swamp cave....

I got hit by the millipedes (pleura?) but didn’t lose my Armor, I dare say because my helmet, hands and feet are all high quality. So I’m sure I sustained damage, but not enough to destroy it.

the southern cave, central cave and swamp cave are all packed with chitin. Actually so is the lava cave.

ive Just got the two cold caves left to do.

good luck with the swamp, let us know how you go.

Archived