Dire Wolves ? in caves

ScreamingViolet

I’m going to go on a run for chitin (want to craft an ascendant saddle for my argy and need 4K of it) and have heard that hitting the caves is a great way to do it and that a wolf is a great mount.Im just wondering what level should I get my wolf to before attempting it? I really don’t want to lose him

im thinking I’ll try the southern cave first as it’s the only one I’ve actually finished and I know there’s lots of chitin rich bugs in there. Can anyone suggest any other caves, or just areas that have a lot of chitin? I’ve been hitting scorpions ? in the redwoods with my argy, but it’s taking forever.

Also does the pack buff have much of an effect? Should I go and tame another two wolves first? Or don’t waste the time?

im playing solo btw if that makes a difference

I suggest that you tame two high level direwolves first, and level up their first 10 level in damage (or some health). 

after that breed them and imprint the young wolf to max. (for bonus 30%dmg and 30%resist)

then level up the imprinted wolf in dmge or health if you want because it will be unstoppable. 

and enjoy chitin hunting. 

mine is lvl 40, imprinted, 1.5k health, 300%dmge, 145%speed, 205 weight.

I don’t know about the dire wolf but the Center Cave is nicknamed the Chitin cave for a reason ?

You can go in the Cave, easily kill the first wave of bugs (like 50-70 chitin), run back out to secure it in a box, and do this again. Otherwise if you finish the cave you’ll get out with approx. 150 chitin if I remember correctly. I don’t think it’s more than 200. 

I am playing on medium difficulty server

first time I went to the south cave was after taming a sabertooth lvl 140

it was pretty smoth , just be carefull of the artho they can brake your armor

sabertooth collects chitin more than wolfs

wolfs are great for collecting hide

in terms of fighting

a saber tooth with a asc or mc saddle is way more stronger than a wolf ( without saddle )

but the wolf is better against flyers ( bats ) unlike the saber you would need to use a pike to get rid of them  

My dire wolf can get 2/3k+ chitin from a run in a cave (solo).  I had to craft another storage box just for chitin as 1 was not enough.   I can gather this much due to Romulus’ stats.   Playing solo (artefact hunting) on mobile - without the full range of creatures available on other platforms - is a challenge.  Since we don’t have other players to assist and the creatures only spawn up to level 30 (barring two caves), having a good level wolf greatly reduces player deaths yet increases resource collection dramatically.  Seriously,  after a cave battle I have to spend more time throwing away meat and hide that is weighing me down than feeding meat to regenerate.  

I have only levelled Romulus 10 levels.  So I should be able to get him to lvl 232. 

0F42D693-6224-4E86-95BB-6C268A671C3D.jpeg

I can now say that direwolves are simply awesome when it comes to collecting chitin! I got over a thousand a run and we only died once out of 3 runs through (I didn’t lose my wolf thanks to the save slot trick, but did lose all the chitin I’d just collected)

i was feeling awesome about my wolfs stats stats until I saw Romulus’s thanks @HavelockVetinari lol

She still needs a fair bit of work, but I tamed her at a low level as she’s my first dire wolf. I’m going to head out to find her a strong partner soon though.

I think I’ll be trying that middle cave next @Mensana21 if I can get another 2,000 chitin I’ll be able to make one of the ascendant argy saddles I got blueprints for (don’t ask me how I ended up with 2 different sac saddle blueprints, I’m guessing gifts!)

2D4706BA-D202-4ADC-AA4A-1F3DDDB7F122.jpeg

@Mensana21 if you get a nice wolf like mine, then megalosaurus’ pose no threat. I came across 2 in the centre cave.  3 - 4 bites later there was no megalosaurus, just a recently deceased Dino that had ambitions of grandeur.  The adjective ‘had’ is the main point here as he was dead and I was very much alive. If you play on multiplayer though, any wolves from the snow cave get deleted daily, so it’s just a solo benefit. 

8 hours ago, Mensana21 said:

I had no idea we can collect that much chiite through a mount !!! Wow! 

@ScreamingViolet About the Center cave, go during daylight if you want to avoid the Megalosaurus ; they are nocturnal and sleep during the day.

I was honestly blown away by how much I got with a dire wolf. Before I discovered this I was elated to add another hard earned 100 chitin to my storage. Now, I’m not far off creating my saddle that calls for almost 5,000 chitin.

happy days!

Just now, Mensana21 said:

Beside the weight capacity, does the level of a dire wolf influences the quantity of chitin he will collect ? 

Good question.

@HavelockVetinari is probably the best person to answer that.

I do believe that the melee damage can have an effect on collection rates, but Can’t recall where I read that. My brain could just be making stuff up though.  

Yes, that's it, the mêlée damage ! Now I remember when I increased that, my ankylos and doedis were collecting more metal/rocks per hit. I suppose we can generalize this effect for all the creatures.
Unless in the context of a fight, the mêlée damage stat only affects how many hits are required before killing the other.

@HavelockVetinari, we need your expertise on this matter ! 

Hey @Mensana21 and @ScreamingViolet, you answered your own questions! ? yeah, I’ve found that increasing melee damage increases the amount ‘gathered’.  On my ank, Doed’ and farming Dinos, weight and melee are levelled equally when available.  health is an afterthought. Doed can get just over 100 stone per hit depending on rock.  My ank can collect vast amounts of whatever it’s hitting.  

Auch....just did my first attempt in the central cave, with a Direwolf (low level, can't find high level ones). No success....he died in a wave of creatures...

Luckily I have a real good sword on me that saved my ass.....I had quite some trouble getting out again...I got terribly lost...

But thanks to ScreamingViolets save slot trick I will just try again later...or one more time with a Sabre, see what works better. 

6 hours ago, JB1980 said:

Auch....just did my first attempt in the central cave, with a Direwolf (low level, can't find high level ones). No success....he died in a wave of creatures...

Luckily I have a real good sword on me that saved my ass.....I had quite some trouble getting out again...I got terribly lost...

But thanks to ScreamingViolets save slot trick I will just try again later...or one more time with a Sabre, see what works better. 

That little ‘hack’ is incredibly useful. It’s saved me an awful lot of amber from not having to revive lost tames as well as lost inventory.

As I mentioned earlier, the Center Cave is reffered as the "Chitin Cave" in the wiki.. but I went to the Lower South cave for the first time yesterday and I actually collected way more chitin (up to a Thousand) than what I could get in the Center Cave.
The Chitin nickname would be more accurate for this cave.

Oh okay. I was reporting my experience of chitin collection without bug : around 5th superior in the Lower South cave (and I was not even finished, I just turned around to secure the chitin in a storage when I saw I had collected this much) when compared to the so called "chitin cave" Center Cave (which I completed with around 200). 

8 hours ago, qdzs1 said:

The center cave is quite easy as a carno will fit inside and I did the cave 1st try with a lvl 30 carno. A quick bit of advice: dont go in the water pit around the artifact with your carno as it will get killed of piranhas. I learned that the hard way but the pump action shotgun is superior so I escaped

Are you in single or multiplayer?

theres a trick to saving a solo game that allows you to rewind your game to before you lost your tame... or your own life even. 

But if you’re in multiplayer and are at a level where you can build a revival platform, whenever you tame a new creature name it and then remove its chip and put it in a safe place. That way if it does die you can revive it without having the difficulty of finding the chip. This also works in solo mode, but I usually rewind rather than revive.

in multiplayer, or at least in pvp it might be dangerous if someone else discovered a cache of your tames chips. In that case you could just get into the habit of moving the ID chip from the animal you are using into your inventory, that way if it’s killed you still have it. It just means that if you also die there’s an extra incentive to finding your corpse.

@Mensana21 I couldn’t believe how much chitin I hauled out of there! After days of working super hard for every single piece I could harvest from scorpions and such in the red forest and only walking out with 1 or 2 hundred, it was like Christmas! The 4,000 I needed for a saddle was no longer looking impossible.

My argy now has a fancy ascendant saddle with a whopping 107 points of Armor. That said, a giga only needed to land one blow to turn her into roast duck! HUGE difference between an alpha rex and a giga! However I did manage to go back and steal it’s egg lol

Finally I prepared going in this cave (after dying in the south cave, the first I visited (thanks to pursuit) and got a bit scared).

Due to some videos and this topic I tried with a Direwolf (level 21), no luck. Then I tried with a Gigantopithecus (level 20). That was quite easy, only downside is that he can't collect meat or chitin.

So I tried again, this time with a Carno (level 21). Also quite easy, but he got unconscious so I retried and brought enough stinberrys and stimulant. Now no problem at all. After getting back he was 8 levels up (watched an add for 2XP and collecting the notes gave 4xp). Maybe not so much chitin, about 400.

Tamed a Dung Beatle while getting to the artifact. 

The artifact sadly enough only gave me a grappling hook and chitin blueprints...

Single player

Day:243

Level: 69

Archived