3 minutes ago, ArkTheorist123 said:

Just played Genesis today and my first thought is: Why was the opening cutscene different from what we saw in the announcement trailer? Because honestly I think that version was better. In that 1 minute and 7 seconds long trailer version of the cutscene, we at least got some idea of where we were going and why. There was also a better build up to the introduction of HLN-A, as well as the different biomes and creatures. Then you have the opening cutscene in the final product...10 seconds. From us starting the game to us entering gameplay, the cutscene is just TEN. SECONDS. ...10 SECONDS?!?! WHY?! All of that extra exposition, all those well built up introductions...all gone. Now the pace of the cutscene just feels rushed, and the whole cutscene overall just feels...underwhelming.

Other than that, I do admire WC's attempts at making the game less grindy via the Hexagon exchange. It's like a breath of fresh air for people who just stink at the game. 

I think they use a shorter version because people want to get into the game when they get in the server, not spend a minute watching a trailer that they've already seen.

As for how the new mechanics are... I'll hold off on having an opinion on those until a week or two has passed. Until I saw the ini line to enable building in mission zones, I was pretty disheartened about the map, so I can only imagine what else I might just not know about yet.

6 minutes ago, ArkTheorist123 said:

Oh, and in terms of story, here's something I think I've figured out thus far - I'm not entirely sure, but I think those fractal people from the cover image are supposed to be Rockwell's minions in the boss fight. Though I'm still not sure if the boss is actually Rockwell or some AI version of Rockwell set up by H/OWW as a test. If it's an AI Rockwell, then those fractal people are probably just, you know, part of the test. But if it's the real Rockwell, then are those fractal people the ancient humans and/or previous survivors that have been corrupted by him? Whatever the case, I don't want to know the answer just yet!

Yea, that's basically what I think. Fractals are all the minions of whoever the final boss of Genesis is

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TinyHippo said:

I was gonna leave until someone summoned me because I thought this thread would fill up quickly since this thread is spoiler-y by its very nature, but if you're just gonna spoiler everything then whatever.

Can't speak for others, but for the moment i found it to be for the best to not discuss the ending in here until more people watched it and until then i can assure you that i won't spoil anything about the ending ( although i really got a big chunk of theory regarding it, but that will have to wait for later)

9 hours ago, TinyHippo said:

Don't tell me where I'm wrong, but for those of you who have seen the ending, I wouldn't mind being told if I'm hot or cold on what happened

Overall cold, but there were some hot parts

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fes said:

Overall cold, but there were some hot parts

I guess that's what happens when I don't even have half of the notes

Spoiler

Revision:

Rockwell spoke to me through HLN-A 3 more times since my last guess. I'm now convinced that this is Rockwell, and will drop the theory of some other person being behind this (although, the Arrival must refer to someone, even if that person isn't here yet.)
The reason why is that the person in charge definitely has some sort of grudge against you and Helena... Who do we know who hates us and Helena and by extension, all other survivors? 

Anyway, Rockwell seems to have killed the overseer AI (as in, HLN-A specifically said that the controller ai was deleted and someone took its place, sounds a bit familiar...) and has been trapping survivors in a limbo after they die instead of letting them respawn. He's also been looking into data on extreme weather events, presumably to make the simulation more dangerous.

Interestingly, he looked into how someone in the past coped with loneliness while stranded by himself. Perhaps a glimpse of sanity is returning to him? Possible redemption arc incoming?

Don't tell me that Fractal gets here and Rockwell tries to fight him off with us... That'd be something...

I don't know if this is the theory I'm going with... but...

Possibility:
Rockwell saw the incoming Arrival and determined that he alone can not stop it and the Arrival would put an end to his quest for godhood. He saw the solution that humans had in place, the Genesis Simulation, and deemed it unfit to protect against the Arrival. He then went and took charge of the GenSim in order to pump up the difficulty and make it prepare people faster. (HLN-A specifically states that he must be actively maintaining the GenSim, so he must have some reason to keep it running...) This results in an unlikely (and possibly temporary) alliance between Rockwell and the survivors against the Arrival. Perhaps we fight Rockwell at the end but that's just his test for us?

A bit strange, but the fact that he must be keeping the simulation running for some reason interests me. Why would he do that if he was just here to spite us? There must be something more.

I don't have a guess as to why yet, but he was looking into survivors that didn't make it to Genesis for some reason. Maybe he was looking for old friends?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TinyHippo said:

Don't tell me that Fractal gets here and Rockwell tries to fight him off with us... That'd be something...

Humm... I won't tell you something that ain't true ?

A bit strange, but the fact that he must be keeping the simulation running for some reason interests me. Why would he do that if he was just here to spite us? There must be something more.

You'll understand at the end :D

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Lucraft said:

Humm... I won't tell you something that ain't true ?

You'll understand at the end :D

Ahh, I wasn't very confident in that idea either.

Spoiler

Rockwell absolutely wouldn't do something that would help us unless it would help him. If he has the codes to the GenSim now (which he does, since he controls it,) it'd be in his best interest to just kill everyone and not let them respawn (he can and has done this to others, which I assume became fractals)

So then there are two possibilities:

1) Rockwell hijacked the GenSim to train survivors to become part of his army by turning them into fractals. He's keeping the simulation going to make sure that everyone comes out as strong as possible so they can serve Rockwell as best as possible.

2) Rockwell needs the simulation to stay active for him to remain alive.
I'm not entirely sure how this would work out, but it's the only other possibility that I can think of at the moment.

Something that bothers me though... On one of the glitches, HLN-A said that after completing the GenSim, we might be allowed to go 'outside' into the real world, and asked me to take her with us when we do go.
The thing is, we've already been to, and can go to, Extinction, or any of the other Arks whenever we want, but HLN-A is saying she's never been to the real world before... And HLN-A has notes in the Arks and Extinction too, so she's canonically been there before.
The implications here are pretty obvious... If HLN-A was serious about that, then it would mean that nothing we've done so far was in the 'real' world, and from HLN-A's other quotes from the glitches, it would imply that the real earth is in a much more sorry state than Extinction was.
This kinda hinges on HLN-A, who has a tendency to get sarcastic occasionally, being serious about that though, so maybe it's nothing

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TinyHippo said:

Rockwell hijacked the GenSim to train survivors to become part of his army by turning them into fractals. He's keeping the simulation going to make sure that everyone comes out as strong as possible so they can serve Rockwell as best as possible.

There's no real spoil in this box, but if you don't want to know the answer to your question, you shouldn't open it ;)

Spoiler

I think you're right. But I don't own the game yet, so I didn't see H-LNA's notes. All I know is that the end was very... meaningfull about that.

2 hours ago, TinyHippo said:

Something that bothers me though... On one of the glitches, HLN-A said that after completing the GenSim, we might be allowed to go 'outside' into the real world, and asked me to take her with us when we do go.
The thing is, we've already been to, and can go to, Extinction, or any of the other Arks whenever we want, but HLN-A is saying she's never been to the real world before... And HLN-A has notes in the Arks and Extinction too, so she's canonically been there before.
The implications here are pretty obvious... If HLN-A was serious about that, then it would mean that nothing we've done so far was in the 'real' world, and from HLN-A's other quotes from the glitches, it would imply that the real earth is in a much more sorry state than Extinction was.
This kinda hinges on HLN-A, who has a tendency to get sarcastic occasionally, being serious about that though, so maybe it's nothing

Remember this theory that says H-LNA's memory is erased every month or so ? I think that's a good proof.

16 minutes ago, Lucraft said:

There's no real spoil in this box, but if you don't want to know the answer to your question, you shouldn't open it ;)

Reveal hidden contents

I think you're right. But I don't own the game yet, so I didn't see H-LNA's notes. All I know is that the end was very... meaningfull about that.

I don't want exact answers, just to know if I'm hot or cold so I don't go crazy down a theory path that's just wrong.

Maybe if I'm completely right or completely wrong you should say something though

16 minutes ago, Lucraft said:

Remember this theory that says H-LNA's memory is erased every month or so ? I think that's a good proof.

Oh, I had forgot about that for a moment. She might just not remember the real world. 

Current revision:

Spoiler

The Arrival is coming. Rockwell doesn't want to get stomped on and destroyed when it happens, so he wants to power up as much as he can. He's decided that the best way to increase his power is to take over the GenSim and force it to new extremes, and then take over (by some new form of corruption or something like that) the humans that are in the GenSim, turning them into Fractals

Possibility: Rockwell might have been doing this for a while already, and could possibly have a serious force in the real world currently

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucraft said:

I don't want exact answers, just to know if I'm hot or cold so I don't go crazy down a theory path that's just wrong.

Maybe if I'm completely right or completely wrong you should say something though

Well, I think you're right in your first theory.

The Arrival is coming. Rockwell doesn't want to get stomped on and destroyed when it happens, so he wants to power up as much as he can. He's decided that the best way to increase his power is to take over the GenSim and force it to new extremes, and then take over (by some new form of corruption or something like that) the humans that are in the GenSim, turning them into Fractals

Possibility: Rockwell might have been doing this for a while already, and could possibly have a serious force in the real world currently

I'm still not sure what ''The Arrival'' is, even after the end, but I don't think this is what you imagine. At least I don't see it as a treath to either Rockwell or the Survivors. For the fractals thing, it's probably just a new form of Elemental Corruption that can go in virtual environments, not a whole new thing. I hope I doesn't spoil too much...

11 minutes ago, Lucraft said:

I'm still not sure what ''The Arrival'' is, even after the end, but I don't think this is what you imagine. At least I don't see it as a treath to either Rockwell or the Survivors. For the fractals thing, it's probably just a new form of Elemental Corruption that can go in virtual environments, not a whole new thing. I hope I doesn't spoil too much...

ok, first spoiler for the ending that i'm putting in the thread:

Spoiler

Since we HLN-A says we're on a "colony ship" in the ending and we can see that it's travelling trough space at high speed, i'm going to assume that both the ship and the genesis simulation are part of a project to save humanity by traveling to another, uninfected planet. "The arrival" would thus be something like the end of the journey to another planet.

the genesis chronicles mention something interesting in regard to that:

When things got really bad on Earth -- wars, Element corruption, all sorts of troubles -- humans thought of all sorts of ways to escape.
One way to escape was homo deus, another step in human evolution. Another way -- from a certain point of view -- was these Arks. And the Genesis simulation was another escape plan.

I also found a Genesis Note where HLN-A says, that the simulation is meant to prepare survivors for "The arrival" . In the first genesis trailer the actual helena says "The arrival will be soon". This would be the purpose of the genesis simulation then : To prepare and strengthen survivors for another planet, just how the arks were meant to do the same thing but with the earth.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

i've found more around half the glitches ingame and have read up the rest on the wiki and tbh there isn't a lot of new relevant lore, most of the story from the glitches can be summed up with:

- the (original) purpose of the simulation was to train survivors skills for an event called "the arrival"

- there's an intruder in the genesis simulation, altering it

- said intruder deleted the master A.I.s (the bosses) for each biome besides the ocean, so the intruder is the only one monitoring what your doing

- the simulation is also getting harder, survivors die more frequently and some are not respawning like they should

- the not respawning survivors are being turned into the corrupted avatars, as which they are under the control of the intruder

- at the end of the story glitches, the intruder has control over most of the simulation

i mean the intruder is obviously rockwell, but nothing in all of the glitches tells us how he got in there and if it's actually him, just a fragment of him, a digital copy or something else that presents rockwell in the simulation.

As for all the other glitches ....

They are mostly Survivors doing dumb stuff in the simulation and causing glitches, HLN-A starting to glitch herself or background info on the ark universe that we already knew or that isn't really relevant.

Tbh the ending gives us a lot more implications for the lore than the glitches but i'll post my theory regarding the ending some other time ( also i'm kinda unsure about spoilers in this thread, can we like go ahead and discuss the most spoiler-y stuff, now that there's another, explicitly spoilerfree thread for theories ?)

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Fes said:

Tbh the ending gives us a lot more implications for the lore than the glitches but i'll post my theory regarding the ending some other time ( also i'm kinda unsure about spoilers in this thread, can we like go ahead and discuss the most spoiler-y stuff, now that there's another, explicitly spoilerfree thread for theories ?)

Not fully spoiler free, but mostly.

• 1 month later...

So I was asking myself "Where the hell are we on Earth in Extinction". And I believe I found out.

I think ARK Extinction's Sanctuary is Denver.

I have multiple proofs: first of all, Diana said that Arat Prime was located on the other side of Earth, and the only place where I think it could be is near Mount Ararat. So that means Extinction happens in the US (Probably). And Denver is located right on the bottom of the Rockies, just like the Sanctuary.

Denver-Cityscape-Rocky-Mo-1.thumb.jpg.90205087b95ab2ac615737b84a0e54d5.jpg

20200503_161556.thumb.jpg.9b1ff17f3c319df0e1f9ae5535730b02.jpg

The big mountain behind the city could be where the glacier and the giant Element Peak are. I also think the only part of the city left is the downtown, because the Sanctuary is too small compared to the actual Denver. A good part of it was probably wiped out. That would explain why there's a building in the Underground Forest.

What do you all think ? I'm open to any idea or criticism. 

Edited by Lucraft
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Lucraft said:

So I was asking myself "Where the hell are we on Earth in Extinction". And I believe I found out.

I have multiple proofs: first of all, Diana said that Arat Prime was located on the other side of Earth, and the only place where I think it could be is near Mount Ararat. So that means Extinction happens in the US (Probably). And Denver is located right on the bottom of the Rockies, just like the Sanctuary.

The big mountain behind the city could be where the glacier and the giant Element Peak are. I also think the only part of the city left is the downtown, because the Sanctuary is too small compared to the actual Denver. A good part of it was probably wiped out. That would explain why there's a building in the Underground Forest.

It is possible. East colorado/west kansas is already kind of a wasteland. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I want to point one detail in GP1 I don't think many people know about. If you choose to stick around during the credits and wait until the very end, you can see a secret bonus message at the bottom. It's short and doesn't reveal that much, but I think what it says is going to be important in making theories about GP2.

IMG_20200503_214136.thumb.jpg.31faea7b2564dad5a4a892450b55d180.jpg

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 11:08 AM, Lucraft said:

It's really all speculation at this point, but it is possible. 

• Like 1