Killing alpha Rex

JB1980

I’ve taken out an alpha raptor and alpha Carno with my lvl 51 argy, but not a Rex yet. Mainly because I haven’t come across one yet.

i prefer to attack using my argy (with points focused on health and melee damage) to attack the tougher Dino’s as if I get hit I can pull out of the fight to recover and then return. I just fly up and find a rock ledge or something and force feed her meat until she’s back to 100% health and then I go back to finish them off. Where as if you are on foot or a non flying mount it’s incredibly hard to escape and recover... even with potions and stimulating berries etc etc.

good luck, hope you take it down!!

p.s. be ready to cook yourself a bunch of raw prime as they drop A LOT!

no it wouldnt be wise i killed 4 rexes so far first two kills  by with help of a friend he carried my by an argy while i was shooting the rex with a asc longneck rifle 1200 dmg 

the third one was in water he wasnt attacking back , attacked him with my basilo and i took the last hit by a pike 

the last one was solo on ground carno island but i was heavily geared up 

my total armor was 4000

killed it by a asc compund bow 875 dmg 

took 25 metal arrows 

i stood infront of him and strated shooting it in head his lvl was 45 40k health  

but my armor was almost broken cost me 2000ingots and 1000 polymer just for repairing 

I am killing alpha rexs with my rex  the first time my t rex had 500% damage and 2000 hp and it was easy lol now my rex is 90+lvl with 500% damage i dont remember the hp but anyway  you just need a rex with high damage and a good saddle and a good sword in case something goes wrong and if you feel like you cant win then you can take a second rex just to be safe....( i am playing alone at single player)..... 

I saw an alpha rex a week or two ago and after initially trying to shoot it from various safe vantage points I gave up on it. Then, I realised how good my argy is at killing stuff. 

yesterday I returned to the same spot up near the blue obelisk and came across the same alpha rex. It took a while to take out it’s 12,000 health, but eventually we did it. We both earned around 2,000 exp and more prime meat than I could cook on 5 campfires before it rotted. Next time I think I will maximise our attack strength with battle tartare &/or enduro stew and improve the exp gain using broth of enlightenment.

I wonder if we would both need to eat it for the buff?

Anyways, I highly recommend Argentavis for the task of taking down alphas (but not gigas!) Although we took quite a few hits we easily survived it due to the simple fact that we could fly away. Every time we started to get low on health I simply flew off and force fed her a bunch of meat, which is everywhere up in the snow. It took a while to bring it down to zero, but well worth the effort. We even got a trophy out of it.

i then came across my resident giga. So full of bravado after slaying the alpha rex... so dead from just ONE swipe. DILO? I’ve got no clue what kind of Dino could take this thing down. Apart from the Titan. I was happy to run the absolute opposite direction to it. After quickly rewinding to before I got my argy killed I returned to steal the giga’s egg and flew off to the opposite side of the map.

9 hours ago, qdzs1 said:

Odd. My argy took 2 hits from a giga before I could escape and he lived through it. And the best dino to take out a giga is a dodo, everyone knows that. The best way to kill a giga is lead it into water so it will drown then right before it drowns peck it with the dodo, or just use a megalodon instead.

Hahaha the smallest most harmless Dino takes out the biggest, most furious Dino with a single peck. That’s awesome! lol

• 1 month later...

A few suggestions based on some assumptions from that video. Find another high level argie to mate that one with. The offspring can be imprinted and will be much stronger than it’s parents. 

Get a longneck rifle and use that for some of those longer shots and use the shotgun for closer targets. The damage from the shotgun is awful at those distances but I can one shot many large dinos with my shotgun at point blank range (keep in mind it’s an ascendant shotgun). You can get good blueprints from the quests.  I play hard difficulty so my rewards are ascendant gear  they will be lower for easier levels.  Judging by the low level alpha Rex I’d assume this was on easy.

Hope that helps and congrats on your alpha Rex kill!

Alternatively to a longneck is you can do the swamp cave to get an assault rifle blueprint. Even on my singleplayer at very easy I got an asc rifle bp with 121 damage. That's 4,840 damage per magazine with a 1 second reload time, compared to a longneck with 2,000 damage being a very good damage value for hard difficulty and a longneck having a 5 second reload. Just try and get the alpha rex stuck on a cliff and bring lots of bullets.

16 hours ago, qdzs1 said:

Alternatively to a longneck is you can do the swamp cave to get an assault rifle blueprint. Even on my singleplayer at very easy I got an asc rifle bp with 121 damage. That's 4,840 damage per magazine with a 1 second reload time, compared to a longneck with 2,000 damage being a very good damage value for hard difficulty and a longneck having a 5 second reload. Just try and get the alpha rex stuck on a cliff and bring lots of bullets.

Oooooh! I had been ignoring my assault rifles since my early experience with the primitive one was disappointing. I much prefer the pump-action shot gun. Even a primitive one is lethal (and I can't find any bps for anything better yet). 

But I have an ascendant assault rifle bp and if I'm not mistake the damage on that one is in the 200 range. I can make tons of advanced rifle rounds so that's not an issue. Anyway, I"m going to have to take a second look now.

Do you use your assault rifle on a regular basis or only for special cases?

Thanks

- Rakkasan

I've taken out (in a sense) 3 Alpha Rexes lately. 

1. Eerie Turret

2. Found one at the bottom of the sea, glitched into a crevice. Took a few bites with my Meg to see if it would react, then once I realized it wasn't going to fight back, I dismounted and lit into it with my ascendant sword while my Meg and angler helped.

3. Used the following tames to kill this one:

1 Spino

3 rexes

2 Allos

1 Theri

And a mixture of other smaller tames.

LOL! Stupid thing went over a cliff and feel into my main, behemoth gate walled off dino pen. Tons of tames in a somewhat small area, with the toughest ones set on neutral. I think that Alpha lasted about 5 seconds, if that. I found the Alpha Rex trophy in one of the rexes. Poor, poor Alpha Rex. Fell into the wrong pen on the wrong day.

Funniest thing is that when I saw it go over the cliff I freaked out. Thought I was going to lose some tames for sure. I rushed to the separate Giga pen, got on my best one, and opened the door to the main pen, expecting a bit of a fight. Then I look around and it's gone! All the tames standing around like, "What? We're just chillin'." ROFL!

Poor, poor Alpha Rex.

So, in conclusion, the best way to kill an Alpha Rex would be to drop it in my pen. :)

- Rakkasan

ARK Survival Evolved_2018-11-30-18-56-49.jpg

• 1 month later...

Archived