RTX 2080 BSOD in Ark

turbodonkey

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...

Guys, after six months on a pair of GTX 1070's in SLI, I upgraded to an RTX 2080 Ti. It is a Zotac (my GTX 550 Ti was, and it STILL works) and it runs the game MUCH faster than the dual 1070's, but now it crashes constantly. I mean every thirty seconds. The best part? This is in Windows 7 Pro 64bit, NOT Windows 10. The big difference is that 7 can at least crash and tell me the display driver stopped responding, whereas 10 will BSOD instead. So this does affect 7 as well, just not as badly as 10. This pisses me off. A $1300 video card should be able to play my primary game!

If Ark Survival is your primary game then i would suggest you to return your RTX 2080ti because Nvidia had already closed the BSOD issue from their side and they don't have anything related to Ark Survival in their bug list currently. The driver hung issue as per Nvidia is because of some custom Unreal Engine implementation from Wildcard studio and i seriously don't have any hope that they will fix it in the future. 

As per my findings i am not getting any BSOD like previously but crashes do persist even on low shadows.

If thats true, Wildcard need to fix this asap.If you loose a big partner over this, in this industry. Its like shooting yourself in the foot.

This has been a issue since RTX cards was launched. All i heared from Wildcard is that Nvidia is working on it. Well now Nvidia "gave up" since its the custom engine that dont play well with Windows 10 and RTX combined. Really i dont care just fix it please. Just want to play this game without major issues. A crash here and then is common and "its ark" but this is not acceptable in 2019

Is Ark stable on RTX cards yet?

Without running in DX10 mode, can we play ARK on RTX series GPUs without crashing yet? Or is Wildcard still ignoring the problem?

Nvidia's driver notes states the problem was resolved a few releases ago which stopped the blue screening, but their rep on the forums said that it had to be resolved on the dev's end still and I haven't seen anything in patch notes about it.

5 hours ago, Jemcrystal said:

Nvidia is lying go with GTX series for playing ark.

nVidia is NOT lying. The problem is well documented on the Unreal Engine website and the fix requires wildcard to update the game engine. This is also what is required to add RTX features like Wildcard claimed to be doing which is how the game got its name on all of nVidia's promotional advertisements as supporting RTX.

I think what really happened is someone at wildcard figured they could get a big boost in sales if they told nVidia they wanted to add RTX features since it was just prior to the extinction release, knowing they had no plans to do so.

16 hours ago, TheQuasars said:

Is Ark stable on RTX cards yet?

Without running in DX10 mode, can we play ARK on RTX series GPUs without crashing yet? Or is Wildcard still ignoring the problem?

Nvidia's driver notes states the problem was resolved a few releases ago which stopped the blue screening, but their rep on the forums said that it had to be resolved on the dev's end still and I haven't seen anything in patch notes about it.

As i mentioned above - i can run in DX11 mode, with terrain shadows set to LOW, and i haven't crashed in ages.

Yes it's inconvenient, but it also works, and it's way better than DX10.

If you refuse to swallow the loss of terrain shadows as a workaround, you're either stuck with DX10 or a crashing game.

I for one would rather play the game, even if my 2080 can handle terrain shadows on epic. It's unfortunate and it's pissing me off, but it's better than declaring the game "unusable on rtx" or refusing to play it. Not to mention complaining on the forums. I am sure they are aware of the issue and a) might be working on it or b) might have no idea what to do to fix it. In either case, things are what they are, additional complaints will not solve anything.

10 hours ago, shiny said:

As i mentioned above - i can run in DX11 mode, with terrain shadows set to LOW, and i haven't crashed in ages.

Yes it's inconvenient, but it also works, and it's way better than DX10.

If you refuse to swallow the loss of terrain shadows as a workaround, you're either stuck with DX10 or a crashing game.

I for one would rather play the game, even if my 2080 can handle terrain shadows on epic. It's unfortunate and it's pissing me off, but it's better than declaring the game "unusable on rtx" or refusing to play it. Not to mention complaining on the forums. I am sure they are aware of the issue and a) might be working on it or b) might have no idea what to do to fix it. In either case, things are what they are, additional complaints will not solve anything.

So we should just accept the fact they lied to us and arent even trying to fix it? Really?

On 5/13/2019 at 12:17 AM, AndrewLB said:

nVidia is NOT lying. The problem is well documented on the Unreal Engine website and the fix requires wildcard to update the game engine. This is also what is required to add RTX features like Wildcard claimed to be doing which is how the game got its name on all of nVidia's promotional advertisements as supporting RTX.

I think what really happened is someone at wildcard figured they could get a big boost in sales if they told nVidia they wanted to add RTX features since it was just prior to the extinction release, knowing they had no plans to do so.

You're 100% correct. Wildcard was founded by dishonest people (https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ark-dev-settles-lawsuit-for-reported-40-million/1100-6438902/) and that's just another facet of that "business philosophy".

Just drop shadow quality to low or go back to a GTX 1080 TI if Ark is your primary game. RTX won't be implemented, period.

• 3 weeks later...

I posted the reply I got from Wildcard regarding this issue. It's in this thread somewhere way back.... WIldCard knows about it, Epic Makes the engine, Epic should fix it. Epic gets royalties or something from WIldcard right? I would assume so... any how, just never buy another NVIDA again. they're crap. I got my setup in like march or april or something, and as soon as I save up 800 bones I'm getting an AMD Rig, and I'll post if it's better. My bet is that AMD knocks the pants off NVIDIA when it comes to ARK, which is the best game out there.

I have the iBuyPower from best buy, the one with the 8700K and the RTX2080... and it's a 2G Boat anchor because it plays ark worse than my AMD 1090T did with my GTX1080. Plays everything else a lot better, but I don't care about that. I just put in my GTX1080 when I want this game to look nice. Hope this helps someone.

53 minutes ago, radurain said:

I posted the reply I got from Wildcard regarding this issue. It's in this thread somewhere way back.... WIldCard knows about it, Epic Makes the engine, Epic should fix it. Epic gets royalties or something from WIldcard right? I would assume so... any how, just never buy another NVIDA again. they're crap. I got my setup in like march or april or something, and as soon as I save up 800 bones I'm getting an AMD Rig, and I'll post if it's better. My bet is that AMD knocks the pants off NVIDIA when it comes to ARK, which is the best game out there.

I have the iBuyPower from best buy, the one with the 8700K and the RTX2080... and it's a 2G Boat anchor because it plays ark worse than my AMD 1090T did with my GTX1080. Plays everything else a lot better, but I don't care about that. I just put in my GTX1080 when I want this game to look nice. Hope this helps someone.

I just realized that this post makes little sense. Why would I say to get AMD over NVIDIA when I just said I thought Epic should fix the issue? In my opinion, this card crashes because of a fuinction that used to work being called by the game that has been removed from the display driver in more recent releases. it looks like this card USED to work just fine (I Say this because of a lot of posts Iv'e read here and in the NVIDA Forums). in fact , Nvidia even has some settings in their little "GeForce Experience" app, and you can set the game according to those settings in the driver... which indicates that they tested this game too. So why did it all of the sudden start with these crashes? Apparently Nvidia removed something from the driver. In my Opinion, this makes them the bad guy. Since the only real power I have over this situation is how I choose to spend my money, I will no longer buy Nvidia, becasue they are crap... and I hope I made my case here. This sitution with NVIDIA reminds me of No Man's Sky, who's developers got help with a patch from Intel to fix issues with missing SSE3 instructions on older processors...  so I can't see why Epic, Nvidia, and Wildcard are letting this issue anger so many of their collective customers.

5 hours ago, radurain said:

I just realized that this post makes little sense. Why would I say to get AMD over NVIDIA when I just said I thought Epic should fix the issue? In my opinion, this card crashes because of a fuinction that used to work being called by the game that has been removed from the display driver in more recent releases. it looks like this card USED to work just fine (I Say this because of a lot of posts Iv'e read here and in the NVIDA Forums). in fact , Nvidia even has some settings in their little "GeForce Experience" app, and you can set the game according to those settings in the driver... which indicates that they tested this game too. So why did it all of the sudden start with these crashes? Apparently Nvidia removed something from the driver. In my Opinion, this makes them the bad guy. Since the only real power I have over this situation is how I choose to spend my money, I will no longer buy Nvidia, becasue they are crap... and I hope I made my case here. This sitution with NVIDIA reminds me of No Man's Sky, who's developers got help with a patch from Intel to fix issues with missing SSE3 instructions on older processors...  so I can't see why Epic, Nvidia, and Wildcard are letting this issue anger so many of their collective customers.

The thing you need to take into consideration, is that the game actually worked rather fine before nVidia began releasing the 20 series cards and drivers for them. Wildcard had modified the game to work with these new features, as well.

Ark is written on an older version of UE4 and is customized and patched by WildCard as well.

Obviously this patch that went out to cater for the 20 Series nVidia cards broke Ark, but it didn't just break it for those specific cards either, it broke for the 1080 Ti's as well. Lucky these days, the 1080 Ti doesn't break as often as it used to, but it still gets these BSOD's on a very rare basis. Dropping the quality settings, going to Dx10 over Dx11 only delayed that BSOD as well as reverting to the 399.xx driver. Instead of once a day, it went to something like once a month.

As someone who has done everything on my 1080 Ti, to stop this BSOD, I know it is not eliminated fully.

I just wish WildCard would just revert back whatever change they added back then to make it compliant with the 20 series cards and work with everyone to figure out why those changes break the game.

But WildCard can't even fix the most basic bugs in this game and have no interest in doing this either, as the people they paid to do the game have moved on to Atlas now.

On 6/6/2019 at 6:26 AM, CyberAngel67 said:

The thing you need to take into consideration, is that the game actually worked rather fine before nVidia began releasing the 20 series cards and drivers for them. Wildcard had modified the game to work with these new features, as well.

Ark is written on an older version of UE4 and is customized and patched by WildCard as well.

Obviously this patch that went out to cater for the 20 Series nVidia cards broke Ark, but it didn't just break it for those specific cards either, it broke for the 1080 Ti's as well. Lucky these days, the 1080 Ti doesn't break as often as it used to, but it still gets these BSOD's on a very rare basis. Dropping the quality settings, going to Dx10 over Dx11 only delayed that BSOD as well as reverting to the 399.xx driver. Instead of once a day, it went to something like once a month.

As someone who has done everything on my 1080 Ti, to stop this BSOD, I know it is not eliminated fully.

I just wish WildCard would just revert back whatever change they added back then to make it compliant with the 20 series cards and work with everyone to figure out why those changes break the game.

But WildCard can't even fix the most basic bugs in this game and have no interest in doing this either, as the people they paid to do the game have moved on to Atlas now.

There are issues with all the 10xx cards not just the 1080. 

At this point I don't even care who's fault it is, I just want to play the game I paid for and whoever's fault it's not needs to get up the butt of whoever's fault it is because it's making them all look bad.

It would also be nice if Wildcard would at least acknowledge that there is an issue. This has been a problem since September, yet they haven't said a word about it. Nvidia has at least talked about it and made at least some effort to fix it.

• 2 weeks later...

Any information on RTX graphics card crashes?

Hey everyone, just trying to see if there is any news or something i missed regarding the game crashing on RTX cards. I upgraded to a 2080 from a 980ti a few months back and was dismayed to find out i cant increase the graphics or get better frame rates because the game will crash. 

The research I did made it seem as though RTX and ARK were incompatible at the time. Nvidia didnt have a driver update that would fix it and Wildcard never addressed it. Its now been months and still the same crashes. 

The low level fatal errors i always get after about 5 minutes of gameplay have plagued me this whole time. The only way not to crash is to play in direct x 10 mode. Which looks like garbage. 

I saw there was some news about ARK adding support for the features only available on the RTX cards, but the game doesn't seem to run on them in the first place. 

On 6/24/2019 at 9:14 AM, gravel said:

I play the AMD card, I have no problem ... Nvidia is the problem

Uhh everyone knows that AMD doesnt have issues with this, bring that up is pointless. The issue is that back in September Wildcard pushed an update that caused issues with nvidia cards, because Ark was going to to be one of the first games to work with RTX cards and use all it's new features, only they don't work with ark because wildcard didnt update right.

So the problem only effects nvidia cards (because AMD cards dont have the features nvidia does) and the problem was caused by wildcard. Nvidia at least looked at it on their end but Wildcard hasn't, yet they still sell the game as being RTX compatible when they know its not.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived