RTX 2080 BSOD in Ark

turbodonkey

I got the iBuyPower PC from Bestbuy, the one with the RTX2080 from Gigabyte. I got it last Tuesday, the 26th of April 2019. I have this BSOD, or CTD with no error.... By the way folks, the DX11 error that comes up some times when the game crashes is NOT a BSOD. it's something that Microsoft introduced to PREVENT a BSOD when the GPU becomes unresponsive, according to Microsoft.

I also have a GTX1080, and noticed the shadow issues with the latest updates to NVIDIA drivers.

I can play Ark in medium graphics on my RTX2080, I can force DX10 mode, the hotfix drivers do NOT work, and I have posted in the NVIDIA Forums....

My solution is either going to be that I install my GTX 1080 or take this Computer back to best buy. It's not worth the problems I am having. I want Wildcard to Fix this, or NVIDIA to fix this, but I am NOT waiting six months, just to have ZERO response from NVIDIA or WILDCARD not even post a RUMOR about a fix for this issue and this card. I am happy to provide any information that support wants, either to NVIDIA support or WILDCARD support to fix this issue, but I need a response SOON. I'm getting old and am at a point in my life where I can afford to just buy the PC I want and not build it. The market NVIDIA and game makers like WIldcard wants includes people like me, and I want to play ARK. I don't want to play anything else. so this $800.00 video card and this $100.00 game don't mix and I could not be any unhappier having to play in Medium graphics settings when my 8 year old computer played it better.

Please fix it, I WAS thinking about trying Atlas... but now way if this is how things go now. If you're in WIdCard Support, read my posts in NVIDIA Forums for the exact DX11 crash. and email me or something, however support works now adays, and do it soon because I am too old to be waiting on procrastinators.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, radurain said:

I got the iBuyPower PC from Bestbuy, the one with the RTX2080 from Gigabyte. I got it last Tuesday, the 26th of April 2019. I have this BSOD, or CTD with no error.... By the way folks, the DX11 error that comes up some times when the game crashes is NOT a BSOD. it's something that Microsoft introduced to PREVENT a BSOD when the GPU becomes unresponsive, according to Microsoft.

Please fix it, I WAS thinking about trying Atlas... but now way if this is how things go now. If you're in WIdCard Support, read my posts in NVIDIA Forums for the exact DX11 crash. and email me or something, however support works now adays, and do it soon because I am too old to be waiting on procrastinators.

I advise you to get back to your 1080 GTX and revert the display drivers to the last one on the 399 series. The 400 series is buggy and slows old cards on purpose to force you into upgrading. There is no excuse for the drop in performance from 399.xx to 400.xx on Pascal display adapters.

Thanks Vakis,

I bet there are a ton of people that would like to hear if the Radeon is better, and I am going to head to best Buy right now to see how long I have to return this PC. It's so hard not to be a little nasty or salty over this. Right now, this flagship NVIDIA card is nothing but a really bad $800.00 Boat anchor. If I were in management over at WIldCard, I would be all over NVIDIA and my programming team to fix this.. six months is absolutely inexcusable.

I tried EVERYTHING so far. Reinstalling Windows, Steam, Ark, Disabling Superfetch, IP helper, Hardware accelerations, Beta Drivers, ETC ETC ETC. and if anyone over at NVIDIA support knew anything, they sure didn't say anything. This forum is much better for responses, so thank you again Vakis... anyone else reading this with the issue on your new RTX 2080... either be patient or take it back. it's irritating that I bought the best one they had and I can't do what I want to do with it... for a week. Medium graphics or DX10 are just not how I want to play this game.

@radurain I agree with you completely. I only play 3 games: Ark, Satisfactory and Astroneer, and Ark is prob 75% of my total gaming time. it's ridiculous to go trough what you are going right now. You spend a lot of money on the Top graphics card on the market to not be able to play your favorite game or, in order to do so, have to revert to DXD10, low quality graphics settings that completely negate the point of having the graphics board at the 1st time.

The fact that this is going on for so long is inexcusable too. I was on the market for a new display card and choose the 1080 TI. I can play Ark on my 4K display with Epic settings and some 45 fps. I can get up to 60 fps with a few teaks. Ark is a beautiful game and should be played as such.

I suspect at this point that the issue is with ARK. Thankfully the people at iBuyPower let me use my old GTX 1080. I think I will stick with it until something gets patched and fixed either from NVIDIA or WildCard.

I am still considering attempting to debug to help support out, but I sincerely doubt it's even possible that support at studiowildcard has even a single computer without the necessary tools to debug the crash with the RTX 2080 cards and the 419.67 drivers. Still waiting on support to respond with anything other than a Canned Response. If support asked, I'd install the Developer Version of DirectX to help get it debugged.... but that would mean I'd have to swap my card again and I am too old to be doing that. Is there someone I can just pay to fix it???

On 3/29/2019 at 11:32 AM, THEHIPPIEPROJECT said:
23 minutes ago, bsmorgan said:

Version: 425.31 was released today (4/11/2019) and claims to have fixed:

 [ARK Survival Evolved]: Fixed random crashes on GeForce RTX 20 series GPUs. [2453173]

Can anyone with an RTX 20 verify their claim?

Really hope this fixes it

12 hours ago, EighmyLupin said:

Does turning the shadows back down "fix" it still? If not they've not only not fixed it, but made it worse. 

Turning the shadows back down does fix it.  Even better I turned Terrain Shadows to Low and General Shadows to High.  Played 10 hours yesterday without a crash.  You might give it a try.

From WildCard (Sorry everyone for not posting this as soon as I got it):

Hello radurain,

Thank you for contacting Studio Wildcard Customer Support. I am Wildcard GM Lavi. We apologize for the delay in response and any inconvenience it may have caused you. We are doing our best to get back to all of our players as soon we can! :)

We are sorry to hear about the recent game issues you have been experiencing and would like to apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you. :( This is a known issue with Unreal Engine and the 2070 and 2080 series of graphics cards. It is not on our end, and unfortunately players with these cards will have to wait for an update from either Epic or Nvidia to resolve the issue. :(

However, there may be some things you can do to try to reduce the frequency of the freezing meanwhile:

I am not willing to put my RTX 2080 Back in to test. The GTX 1080 is definitely not as good, and Ark slowly Lags over time with the newest NVIDIA Drivers.... When I have more money I will just build an AMD Rig. I hope this helps someone

39 minutes ago, radurain said:

From WildCard (Sorry everyone for not posting this as soon as I got it):

Hello radurain,

Thank you for contacting Studio Wildcard Customer Support. I am Wildcard GM Lavi. We apologize for the delay in response and any inconvenience it may have caused you. We are doing our best to get back to all of our players as soon we can! :)

We are sorry to hear about the recent game issues you have been experiencing and would like to apologize for any inconvenience it may have caused you. :( This is a known issue with Unreal Engine and the 2070 and 2080 series of graphics cards. It is not on our end, and unfortunately players with these cards will have to wait for an update from either Epic or Nvidia to resolve the issue. :(

However, there may be some things you can do to try to reduce the frequency of the freezing meanwhile:

I am not willing to put my RTX 2080 Back in to test. The GTX 1080 is definitely not as good, and Ark slowly Lags over time with the newest NVIDIA Drivers.... When I have more money I will just build an AMD Rig. I hope this helps someone

The interesting thing to note is that this is from support, support is next to useless 99% of the time and normally and not very clued up.

What I do know, is that there was no new additions to the Engine by Wildcard at the time this started happening, there was also no driver update from nVidia either. But there where massive graphical enhancements to the game by Wildcard.

And in general who cares attitude, Wildcard chose not to roll back till a time it was fixed.

And the other thing to note is that the GTX 1080 was not immune to this BSOD either and while people reported that turning down shadows fixed it, it did not fix it either, it just allowed you to play longer. At one point, I had my settings on the most lowest you could have and I still got the BSOD on the GTX 1080.

Anyway, I just wish Wildcard cared more, to roll back changes that see a major issue like this and then update it back once they where confident that it was fixed by who ever was at fault. Something Wildcard are not good at doing. There attitude is well we made our money, we broke something, who cares you will still play it and still buy any DLC we release.

12 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

The interesting thing to note is that this is from support, support is next to useless 99% of the time and normally and not very clued up.

What I do know, is that there was no new additions to the Engine by Wildcard at the time this started happening, there was also no driver update from nVidia either. But there where massive graphical enhancements to the game by Wildcard.

And in general who cares attitude, Wildcard chose not to roll back till a time it was fixed.

And the other thing to note is that the GTX 1080 was not immune to this BSOD either and while people reported that turning down shadows fixed it, it did not fix it either, it just allowed you to play longer. At one point, I had my settings on the most lowest you could have and I still got the BSOD on the GTX 1080.

Anyway, I just wish Wildcard cared more, to roll back changes that see a major issue like this and then update it back once they where confident that it was fixed by who ever was at fault. Something Wildcard are not good at doing. There attitude is well we made our money, we broke something, who cares you will still play it and still buy any DLC we release.

Turning down the Terrain Shadow to low does work for me and got the proof in my video that I have posted here in this forumbut are sorry to hear it doesn't working for you :(

8 hours ago, Niphorox said:

Turning down the Terrain Shadow to low does work for me and got the proof in my video that I have posted here in this forumbut are sorry to hear it doesn't working for you :(

All it does is delay the crash, for example on the 1080ti I went from crashing once a week, to once every 2 months.

I've been following the driver updates from Nvidia and a driver release or two ago the release notes stated the crash with RTX cards from the device being lost was resolved, but some users were still reporting the same crash despite the new driver. A new driver launched today as well with no mention of the crash as an issue.

I normally host the server my friends and I play on so having frequent crashes is unacceptable, not that it's really ever acceptable. I haven't seen others reporting the same problem in the last week or so, but I haven't seen confirmation of it being fixed either. Can anyone running an RTX card confirm the game is running normally now?

Archived