RTX 2080 BSOD in Ark

turbodonkey

The BSOD (since 417.xx ... I think, haven't tried ARK in a month, because I got sick of loosing things to random freezes ...) only effects the patches 4xx.xx and upwards.
So only the RTX have these kind of problem, because they are not able to downgrade back to 399.xx drivers.

GTX can run 399.xx and be fine (for the most part), but RTX are still waiting to play the game since about 7 months (as of march. september 2018 - march 2019 with no comment from WC, they are simply ignoring a part of their players for whatever reason ... not smart, because these players won't buy anything from them again - just my opinion on the "no comment" policy). 

Nvidia has made an official statement (as of feburary 2019 - 6! months late), that they are working on the problem. No exact date of a "fix" know. 
Conclusion: Never buy nvidia or WC again, or scout the internet beforehand for any kind of errors with GPUs (which are posted on the news of a gaming company - WC here - for the game).

Yes, I'm salty ... because of the "no news" policy and the problems with RTX-series and ARK. Nearly seven (7!) months without any help is a bit "..." from the companies in my book.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I worked with my local rep regarding the 20xx series and Windows 10. Under certain circumstances we could reliably make 10 BSOD. Apparently Ark triggers one of the circumstances we discovered or perhaps another. We did this in our free time out of curiosity. Some people report the crash with 10xx series in 10, but I do not recall anybody reporting a crash with the 9xx series under 10. If you have a 10xx series, one user here posted that an older driver prevents the 10xx series cards from causing the BSOD, but you would need to read this thread to figure it out.

Driver Version 419.35 live! - Thread: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1101106/geforce-drivers/official-419-35-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-3-5-19-/post/6003060/#6003060

ARK still not fixed ([ARK Survival]: Multiple errors and then blue-screen crash may occur when playing the game. [2453173]), now listed under "Windows 10 Issues" (http://us.download.nvidia.com/Windows/419.35/419.35-win10-win8-win7-desktop-release-notes.pdf)

So now we have March 2019, thread was created back in September 2018. We got one (in numbers: 1) post from Nvidia according ARK and RTX (listed in one of my earlier posts in this thread). Now, seven (in numbers: 7) months (!) later we still got nothing AND they moved the ARK issue to the "Windows 10 issues" category. 

Personal Opinion: I think it can be said, that ARK and RTX will never work. Wildcard never gave any statement about the issue (even when they themselves had an ad about the RTX on the ARK-Steam-Page) and Nvidia just moved the issue to "Windows 10 issues". I feel ... robbed, from both companys. Both offer a product, the user pays the price and never gets anything that works. No support, no help, not even any kind of recognition from one company (Wildcard). 

I will try to sell my RTX via Ebay (or something like that) and draw a line about this topic for myself. I will even write about the abysmal support of Nvidia and Wildcard in my blogs, nothing more I can do. Really, really disappointed with both of them. 

So long ... I would say something like "happy hunting", but the people in this thread can't play the game so ... "may the BSOD not cause space invaders during your (short) dino hunts".

On 3/2/2019 at 11:32 PM, FrankCastle82 said:

The only work-a-round that has increased stability for me is turning all shadows down to low.  The game is still set to epic, just low shadow quality.

Yeah, I have noticed that the shadow behaving strange when playing the game and have experiencing that the ground change from day to night and back again when flying around. I tried to select low setting profile and change anti-settings to low since it not seems to be affected when selecting the low setting profile and then I change both terrian and general settings to Epic and checked the distance field shadowing.

So with this setup, then the demands are very low but the game crashed anyway. I could see that the FPS was over 200, so  this indicate that this setup was not overburden the GPU, so the game must be broken in some way when it comes to handling shadow.

I tried to invert the settings by select the Epic setting profile instead and changed both terrian and general settings to low and unchecked both the distance field shadowing and blur motion. I was able to play more than an hour and decided at this point to try check the distance field shadowing and change only the general shadow setting to Epic and played the game for another 10 minutes before I decided to also change terrain shadow to Epic and this time did the game crash in matter of seconds.

I also tried terrain shadow at high and medium settings and both cause the game to crash, so I can conclude that it's the terrain shadow that cause my game to crash if the value is set to higher than the low setting

I recently bough an RTX 2060 and found myself in the same position as you guys. Game would crash after a few minutes. Had to play the game with the -sm4 launch option and boy does that look terrible.

After reading this thread I tried the -norhithread launch option then set options to epic. Turned the general and terrain shadows to Low and now I can play the game without it crashing. All on epic apart from shadows of course but the game looks amazing and plays smoothly so I will take that as a win. This was the whole reason why I bought a new graphics card and so glad I found this thread so hats off to you guys for troubleshooting this and lets hope someone patches something to fix this soon.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I am suprised about is that your suprised that Wild Card is ignoring the problem or better yet not communicating with its community other than on things most of us find unimportant. They have built there whole company on promises that so far haven't been kept. I love this game the core idea of the game and played a year now or so but I have begun my search for a game with a real team behind it and that certainly is not Atlas either. Might finally be able to get my $1,200.00 RTX 2080TI paperweight out of the box and use it for some gaming not optimistic though seems as though Nvidia is a large part of the problem and not the solution. They atleast acknowledge the issue  by continuing to keep it on the list of unfixed items. 

(Copying this from a post I put in the Steam discussions for the game)

In the release notes for Nvidia's latest Geforce GPU drivers (419.67) it's noted that the Ark Bad_Pool_Caller bug has a pending hotfix driver fix currently under the confirmation process.

This means that if the driver is confirmed to have fixed this long lasting bug, you will be able to download it separately from the Geforce website, it will not automatically download for Geforce Experience users until the next full driver release which will take longer. Keep an eye on the Geforce website for news of this hotfix driver.

GeForce RTX 2070 here since yesterday, upgraded from a 970 because after several years of heavy use the fan finally died on me completely, Driver version 419.67 now, I'm crashing since yesterday permanently.

I'm on Windows 7, so I can confirm that it is not related to Windows 10 at all. I also had no issues with a more recent driver version than 399 on my 970, so it seems to be the hardware (possibly in combination with the driver), but definitely not the driver alone.

Archived