RTX 2080 BSOD in Ark

turbodonkey

3 hours ago, SamueL125 said:

So, from now on, I will not follow every new driver, I just turned off the landscape shadow and will enjoy the game. I know this will not fix the problem with the game code and driver, but it will fix the problem with 1080Ti, because without shadows of landscape this card work without crashes.
Looking at how the Atlas came out, I think the game developers have more serious things to do than deal with our problem. But I’m extremely dissatisfied with the work of Nvidia’s programmers - they could refine the driver profile for this game, as enthusiasts do this with the help of NVvidiaprofilinspektor to solve problems in other games ...

Actually it will still crash and/or BSOD with that turned right down too. It only reduces the chance of it crashing.

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Today (03.02.2019) my GPU died (MSI GeForce RTX 2070 Armor 8GB GDDR6).
I installed it on the second (2nd) of January. So about one month of "lifetime".

I only played (more like "tried to play") ARK during that time (correlation is not causation ... i know, just wanted to put it in).
I got all the typical BSOD (Pool, Kernel, ...), freezes (only forcefully shutdown was a solution) and at last fragmentation (white lines / white symbols).

I saw many threads about "ark killing the gpu" (and so on), but I don't want to believe it. Just found this situation ... strange.
(example: https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/1290691937725399285/)

I have to say, MSI is refunding my card (as in I get the same card - a new one, but same type - again) so no problem on that front (three years guarantee).
So there was no "real damage" for me (from a financial point of view).
I'm just unsure, if the claims about ARK and GPU are real?

Can a certain number off error- and shutdown-situations kill a GPU? If yes, then could ARK really "have killed" my GPU?

(sorry for my bad english)

Edit: Tried to clean some typos - i hope it worked.

36 minutes ago, CptTatsumiya said:

Yeah, i have a RTX 2070 and the only way for me to avoid the blue screens at the moment is to forcible run the game in dx10 mode

It looks like poop but at least i'm no longer blue screening every 15 minutes

(Cries internally at still being an early bird)

The shadow trick works for me on The Island but on The Center map I've had no luck with it at all.  So read back a bit and set your shadows to low and see if that will help you depending on the map you are on.  They still have the bug listed on the latest 418.81 notes...sadly. :(

3 hours ago, FrostByghte said:

The shadow trick works for me on The Island but on The Center map I've had no luck with it at all.  So read back a bit and set your shadows to low and see if that will help you depending on the map you are on.  They still have the bug listed on the latest 418.81 notes...sadly. :(

Id rather have poop graphics with a reliable chance of no BSoD, then even the smallest chance of BSoD

Last time I BSoD i lost important tames becsuse it made me DC in very dangerous spots at the worst of times

• 2 weeks later...

418.91 and nothing again. 

ARK is not playable on RTX since October (?) 2018. No official statement from Nvidia or Wildcard (that I could find so far). 

I feel betrayed. Advertised the RTX as news on the steam collection under the ARK tab and it never, EVER worked (I bought an RTX because of that). 

No chance at a refund (game X not working for FOUR months isn't a reason to refund a GPU FOR GAMING... ironic). 

I am simply left baffled at the way WC and Nvidia are treating their customers (got the money so... f*** ***... it seems...). 

I just want ONE official statement (copy+paste error in driver notes doesn't count - it's there since the beginning of the RTX). 

I can't advice to buy any kind of RTX GPU.
The whole RTX-GPU-Series (2060 - 2080 ti) has way too many problems with hardware (cards die within days or weeks, etc.) AND software (no games - even back to witcher 3 - are even slightly playable, without HUGE downsides, like using dx10 or getting crashes).

At the "ARK"-Topic:

"There were a couple of bugs that were causing the game to crash. One was fixed with driver 417.71. The other is more complicated and our engineers still need a little more time with it. It likely won't be fixed in time for the next driver which is slated for later this month but I'll make sure once we have a fix we try to release it as soon as possible." (an official Nvidia-post, https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1098097/geforce-drivers/official-418-91-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-2-13-19-/8/).

It seems they want to put in a fix, that ist not for ark during februrary 2019. During march 2019 we COULD - I don't believe it - get some news about ARK and RTX. 

At the moment: no more bluescreen or shutdown of the computer, but you get crashes (ark shutdown or freeze + back to desktop you go) at random times, EVEN if you play on dx10 (common "fix" on steam or other threads - DOESN'T work, crashes are just fewer in number AND ARK looks like crap with dx10).

If I'm allowed I would advice you to wait until march 2019 for any news on Nvidia RTX and ARK (driver) for the playability of ARK on an RTX. I wouldn't hold my breath, we just got the FIRST post according ARK since september 2018 and Wildcard STILL hasn't said anything, even when they promoted the RTX via ARK-Steam-Library (I bought it because of that and I got nothing but problems, waiting on my third RTX, because it died again - space invaders ...).

TL;DR: RTX series is a failure. Way too many problems and dieing cards (Nvidia forum has many threads about it and I myself had two dead cards). Drivers not supporting any games, even old ones like Witcher 3. ARK never worked on RTX and no word from Wildcard since September 2018.

P.S. (and reason for calling "edit"): RTX RMA is ... catastrophic. I bought my RTX (https://geizhals.at/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-armor-8g-v373-014r-a1908115.html just to show the type), via Cyberport (https://www.cyberport.at). They had to communicate back with MSI ... and so on.

Bottom line: I waited nearly 3 weeks everytime to get the "new" card (remember, broken card 2 (!) times) AND I had to pay the shipping (25 € x 2) AND the "support fee" (40 €). I even called the Service-Center for MSI in austria and they are aware of the RTX-problem, but they cash in every time ...

^^ Thank you, but I'm still one of the "lucky ones". 
People (on the Nvidia forums) are reporting up to 3 or 4 broken GPUs (some kind of problem with the build in RAM-component. Personally I'm only a user, so any kind of "hardware-talk" is ... way to complicated for me).

Ignoring the hardware-catastrophy that is the RTX-series, the software-situation is also kinda pathetic. Errors on all sides (Witcher 3, Batman: Arkham xx, ARK, Apex Legends, etc.) with no specific fix-dates up ahead (ARK alone not working since September 2018, but I already wrote it). 

On 2/13/2019 at 9:42 PM, WanT said:

418.91 and nothing again. 

ARK is not playable on RTX since October (?) 2018. No official statement from Nvidia or Wildcard (that I could find so far).

Correction,

Ark The Island, Ragnarok and any map using a specific texture from those base world landscapes that times out the driver and crashes the game.

Aberration, Scorched and Extinction work great on the RTX cards right now. At least they do on my system. That is wilh hundreds of hours of testing since October on many driver versions.

9 minutes ago, TruWrecks said:

Correction,

Ark The Island, Ragnarok and any map using a specific texture from those base world landscapes that times out the driver and crashes the game.

Aberration, Scorched and Extinction work great on the RTX cards right now. At least they do on my system. That is wilh hundreds of hours of testing since October on many driver versions.

Aberration, Scorched Earth and Extinction are all vulnerable to this crash. I know I have experienced them, many times.

Even if Aberration, SE and Extinction are working (personally I had too many crashes to even try them anymore - crashes ON Aberration and SE with all drivers from 416.xx up to 418.xx).

I'm really happy for everyone that has a "working" RTX for ARK, but even Nvidia qouted the crashes as a "known issue" so ...
I just want to spare anyone the HUGE disappointment of buying an RTX and having all these issues, even if a small part (as I said, "known issue" ... so a big part of the users should experience it ^^) can use their RTX fine (personally: I hope you didn't have to sacrifice your firstborn to get it to work ... so not worth it).

Edit:

22 minutes ago, TruWrecks said:

Correction,

I have to thank you for the information about the "specific textures" didn't know that. Adding it to my word-document for the Nvidia-Support, if my third RTX also breaks down. Eventually I'm able to save the 90 € (25 € shipping x 2 + 40 € fee for RMA) at the fourth card. 550 € (first card) + 90 € (x3) is too much for an RTX ... even if I get a working RTX, I'm done with Nvidia for my entire live ^^

Offtopic:

"Die Abwicklung von Reklamationen außerhalb der gesetzlichen Gewährleistung und der vom Hersteller definierten
Garantie ist eine freiwillige Serviceleistung des Händlers (Cyberport).
Wir erlauben uns, für diesen Service eine Pauschale in Höhe von 39,90 Euro zu erheben.
Davon sind folgende Fälle betroffen:
- Die vom Hersteller definierte Garantiedauer ist bereits abgelaufen und Sie wünschen dennoch eine Reparatur.
Über die Höhe der anfallenden Reparaturkosten werden Sie vor einer möglichen Reparatur anhand eines
Kostenvoranschlages informiert.
- Die vom Hersteller definierte Garantiedauer ist noch nicht abgelaufen aber der Defekt ist durch die
Herstellergarantie nicht abgedeckt (z.B. mechanische Beschädigungen, Flüssigkeitsschäden, nicht sachgemäße
Verwendung/Bedienungsfehler etc.)."

FJI I'm within the six (6) months of "Gewährleistung" (warranty - according to pons.eu) but they still fine the 39,90 € + 25 € (x2 - to them and from them) for shippment. I contacted Cyberport, MSI AND Nvidia. MSI and Nvidia just "brushed me off to the seller" and the seller "works according to the terms of MSI". I'm collecting the whole Email-conversation (and live-support from all three), the whole thing smells fishy. 

I'm not saying run out and buy one. drivers still need a lot of work. Any time I load the Grass texture that is on The Island, Ragnarok, Volcano and many other maps my game crashes. Maps that don't use that texture don't crash my game. This is the same texture crashing my system in the dev kit.

If I completely remove the grass texture the crashing stops in the dev kit.

Reinstalling is not a fix. How the driver is handling the texture in DirectX 11 is the issue. Whenever the specific texture is called the driver pauses and DirectX tries to restart the driver. Windows freaks out and sometimes throws a BSOD.

This is the best way I know how to describe what is happening.

2 minutes ago, TruWrecks said:

I'm not saying run out and buy one. drivers still need a lot of work. Any time I load the Grass texture that is on The Island, Ragnarok, Volcano and many other maps my game crashes. Maps that don't use that texture don't crash my game. This is the same texture crashing my system in the dev kit.

If I completely remove the grass texture the crashing stops in the dev kit.

Reinstalling is not a fix. How the driver is handling the texture in DirectX 11 is the issue. Whenever the specific texture is called the driver pauses and DirectX tries to restart the driver. Windows freaks out and sometimes throws a BSOD.

This is the best way I know how to describe what is happening.

Nice. Thank you for your view of the problem (as I posted, I'm a user so hardware- and software-side is ... russian for me). It's nice to finally understand a bit about the underlying problems.

Yep, I'm also very frustated to see that this game is the only one that can't work together with Directx 11 and my new expensive RTX 2080 without crashing to BSOD every time. Only by playing this game with Directx 10 stops the BSOD but has a negative impact on both details and quality, which ruins the point of buying a strong GPU that was surposed to play this game with max details, quality and resolution without any problems. Here is what I have tried so far:

Used DDU with success + Install latest GPU driver with success = BSOD not solved

Run CMD as administrator to use sfc /scannow = No missing and/or corrupted files detected and BSOD still not solved

Scan all game files in Steam = 2 files was replaced but BSOD still not fixed

Run dxdiag as administrator = No missing and/or corrupted files detected and BSOD still not solved

Checked if dedicated VRAM is correctly adjusted = Need minimum 2 Gb but got 8 Gb and BSOD still not solved

Fill out a bug form and set it to Wildcard = Silent as the grave and BSOD still not solved.

Tried to extract info from dump file by using an online dump file analyser and got this:

Windows 7 Kernel Version 7601 (Service Pack 1) MP (8 procs) Free x64
Product: WinNt, suite: TerminalServer SingleUserTS
Built by: 7601.24354.amd64fre.win7sp1_ldr_escrow.190108-1700
Machine Name:
Kernel base = 0xfffff800`03618000 PsLoadedModuleList = 0xfffff800`03851c90
Debug session time: Sun Feb 17 15:31:02.616 2019 (UTC - 5:00)
System Uptime: 0 days 1:01:20.240
*                        Bugcheck Analysis                                    *

BAD_POOL_CALLER (c2)
The current thread is making a bad pool request.  Typically this is at a bad IRQL level or double freeing the same allocation, etc.
Arguments:
Arg1: 0000000000000007, Attempt to free pool which was already freed
Arg2: 000000000000109b, (reserved)
Arg3: 0000000004050005, Memory contents of the pool block
Arg4: fffffa80147d3640, Address of the block of pool being deallocated

Debugging Details:
------------------

TRIAGER: Could not open triage file : e:\dump_analysis\program\triage\modclass.ini, error 2

POOL_ADDRESS:  fffffa80147d3640 Nonpaged pool

FREED_POOL_TAG:  NVRM

BUGCHECK_STR:  0xc2_7_NVRM

DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID:  WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

PROCESS_NAME:  System

CURRENT_IRQL:  0

LAST_CONTROL_TRANSFER:  from fffff800037f3a01 to fffff800036abba0

STACK_TEXT:  
fffff880`0348f3c8 fffff800`037f3a01 : 00000000`000000c2 00000000`00000007 00000000`0000109b 00000000`04050005 : nt!KeBugCheckEx
fffff880`0348f3d0 fffff880`0f71d6ae : 00000000`00000003 00000000`00000008 fffff880`0348f440 00000000`00000008 : nt!ExFreePool+0xca9
fffff880`0348f480 00000000`00000003 : 00000000`00000008 fffff880`0348f440 00000000`00000008 fffffa80`147d3640 : nvlddmkm+0xcb6ae
fffff880`0348f488 00000000`00000008 : fffff880`0348f440 00000000`00000008 fffffa80`147d3640 fffff880`0f80dd67 : 0x3
fffff880`0348f490 fffff880`0348f440 : 00000000`00000008 fffffa80`147d3640 fffff880`0f80dd67 00000000`00000000 : 0x8
fffff880`0348f498 00000000`00000008 : fffffa80`147d3640 fffff880`0f80dd67 00000000`00000000 00000000`c1d00333 : 0xfffff880`0348f440
fffff880`0348f4a0 fffffa80`147d3640 : fffff880`0f80dd67 00000000`00000000 00000000`c1d00333 fffffa80`0e6c3000 : 0x8
fffff880`0348f4a8 fffff880`0f80dd67 : 00000000`00000000 00000000`c1d00333 fffffa80`0e6c3000 fffff880`0f76aee5 : 0xfffffa80`147d3640
fffff880`0348f4b0 00000000`00000000 : 00000000`c1d00333 fffffa80`0e6c3000 fffff880`0f76aee5 00000000`0035a598 : nvlddmkm+0x1bbd67

STACK_COMMAND:  kb

FOLLOWUP_IP: 
nvlddmkm+cb6ae
fffff880`0f71d6ae ??              ???

SYMBOL_STACK_INDEX:  2

SYMBOL_NAME:  nvlddmkm+cb6ae

FOLLOWUP_NAME:  MachineOwner

MODULE_NAME: nvlddmkm

IMAGE_NAME:  nvlddmkm.sys

DEBUG_FLR_IMAGE_TIMESTAMP:  5ba0fb6a

FAILURE_BUCKET_ID:  X64_0xc2_7_NVRM_nvlddmkm+cb6ae

BUCKET_ID:  X64_0xc2_7_NVRM_nvlddmkm+cb6ae

Followup: MachineOwner

On 2/20/2019 at 3:49 PM, phantom55 said:

sorry to hear you had broken gpu 2 times.i think im gonna wait for awhile thanks for advice 

Buy a GTX 1080 Ti. Faster, resilient and cheaper.

The RTX series has serious memory hardware problems. If you get Samsung memory on your board you're on the safer side but if you get Microservice (iirc) or any other memory chip vendor, they just fry on the board.

So far, I have my RTX 2080 and this is have happening. I have NOT overclocked my GPU ever and at base clock it WILL crash 5-20 minutes with a BSOD. The only fixes I have seen so far is underclocking the GPU to around -324MHz. It seems to prevent most of the BSODs but for me is not full proof. I can play all day and not get a BSOD but sometimes it will happen occasionally. The only full proof method is using DX10 mode. I have never had it crash from a BSOD error before. The maps that are effected are The Island, Scorched Earth, The Center, and Ragnarok. Abberation and Extinction work just fine under normal mode and I have never crashed with BSOD. This leads to me thinking this is a Wildcard issue at this point with the older maps since we all know how well they get to optimizing and updating older maps. Hope this update helps!

*******EDIT

After doing more research I just updated to the 419.17 nvidia drivers and now the game still crashes and freezes but will not longer BSOD when killing it with task manager like it used to. Still doesn't fix the issue with the game crashing every 5 seconds when flying. Now my specific problem is linked with Wildcard.

I have tested other maps now with my RTX 2080 and it seems that the game only freeze with Black Screen of Death when playing on "The island" + "Scorched Earth" maps but not happening when playing on "Aberration" + "Extinction" maps. Also, something wrong going on with the Rock Dragons because they are spinning like propellers when they try to walk rocks. Also the character texture glitching out in the inventory when playing on the "Extinction" map. Don't know if all this only happens to me.

COMMENT UPDATE - 2019.2.26

I have tried to install Nvidia driver 419.17 that was released at 2019.2.22 and experiencing improvement. Can now play "The Island" map for much longer time before it crash but does no longer crash to Black Screen of Death, instead it crash to windows and their is a popup at the right bottom that says that the graphic driver has stopped responding and was restored.

Also got a window with error description and it says something about LowLevelFatalError and something about Unreal Engine is exiting due to D3D device being lost.

Unreal Engine error.jpg

1 minute ago, Niphorox said:

I have tested other maps now with my RTX 2080 and it seems that the game only freeze with Black Screen of Death when playing on "The island" + "Scorched Earth" maps but not happening when playing on "Aberration" + "Extinction" maps. Also, something wrong going on with the Rock Dragons because they are spinning like propellers when they try to walk rocks. Also the character texture glitching out in the inventory when playing on the "Extinction" map. Don't know if all this only happens to me.

I have personally seen the BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) on every map, SE and Aberration happens for me mainly on the bosses.

BSOD (Blue Screen of Death) are happening on every map (like many people reported), but I will say that some maps are more "crashresistent" than others.

Official 419.17 Game Ready WHQL Display Driver Feedback Thread (Released 2/22/19)
2453173-ARK Survival may crash with bad pool caller error and eventual BSOD 

Latest nvidia patch has still listed ARK as an "issue". So ... no fix up until now ... 

BUT, as I posted once before

On 2/20/2019 at 4:00 PM, WanT said:

At the "ARK"-Topic:

"There were a couple of bugs that were causing the game to crash. One was fixed with driver 417.71. The other is more complicated and our engineers still need a little more time with it. It likely won't be fixed in time for the next driver which is slated for later this month but I'll make sure once we have a fix we try to release it as soon as possible." (an official Nvidia-post, https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/1098097/geforce-drivers/official-418-91-game-ready-whql-display-driver-feedback-thread-released-2-13-19-/8/).

ARK got it's first positive feedback for RTX. They seem to be working on it (well, the problem is listed since about 4-5 months now, so ...). 

Not sure, and I am surprised that you guys are still having a hard time with this. I did fiddle with this a month or so back and even got confirmation from my Microsoft rep that this is an issue with Windows 10 specifically. I thought they would have fixed it in an update by now, but I guess they're too busy making the dang anti-cheats crash to a BSOD to worry about all of the users having nVidia BSODs. FWIW, RTX2080 and Ark do not crash under Vista, 7, PCLinuxOS, or Gentoo GNU/Linux.

4 hours ago, Xenithar said:

Not sure, and I am surprised that you guys are still having a hard time with this. I did fiddle with this a month or so back and even got confirmation from my Microsoft rep that this is an issue with Windows 10 specifically. I thought they would have fixed it in an update by now, but I guess they're too busy making the dang anti-cheats crash to a BSOD to worry about all of the users having nVidia BSODs. FWIW, RTX2080 and Ark do not crash under Vista, 7, PCLinuxOS, or Gentoo GNU/Linux.

Weird. My fiancee has win 10 but a gtx 970 instead of 10s or rtx and hasn't had a single crash or bsod.

Does the win 10 problem not effect that card?

Archived