RTX 2080 BSOD in Ark

turbodonkey

12 hours ago, TruWrecks said:

In short, if a driver can be written to correctly talk to both architectures we will be good once NVidia finds that magic code. Otherwise a firmware update will be needed for every Turing GPU that has already been shipped and sold. That is a lot of customers to contact and not everyone registers their product for warranty.

Sorry for the novel.

No worries at all.  I'm grateful for the information.  So would changing the TdrDelay values mitigate this issue at all while in game?

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, thebobmaster said:

Thanks for the thorough testing. So have you found any other UE based game throwing this BSOD?

Other games have not been as reliable to crash. I have have Hellblade (As soon as the boat ride ends in the intro) and Unreal Tournament 2004 (Unreliable). Ark and Unreal Engine Dev Kit 4.5 and 4.6 (Any map with shadows and ground clutter) are the applications I get a hard crash or BSOD the most reliably.

Same problem here. RTX 2080 ti Founders Edition and ARK produce a BAD_POOL_CALLER BSOD. I have already replaced all RAM, SSDs, fresh installed Win 10, mainboard BIOS updates etc.  ARK still freezes randomly and upon quitting or killing the program, takes the system down with it in blue screen fashion as discussed.  I'm not having this issue for some reason on the Extinction map.  Ragnarok and Scorched Earth have triggered the crash for me. I have not tested Center or Island maps for this problem. WhoCrashed blames the nvidia driver.

Ark is my favorite game. I started playing it a couple years ago on an older laptop that could barely run it on the lowest settings, and even then I had to mess with the vsync. I just bought a really nice pc with a GeForce Rtx 2070 and it crashes after about 10 minutes. I built this machine with Ark in mind! Why God?! why?

NVidia got back to me yesterday. They are going to take my test results and investigate it further. Hopefully they can replicate the exact cause the find a remedy. NVidia has all the details to replicate my computer in their lab and I provided a map from the dev kit that crashes reliably with the RTX but it stable with the GTX cards.

Greetings from Russia.
I read the whole topic and want to add my story about this issue.
For nine years, I used the platform on socket 1366, where over time, I changed the videocard and memory. At the same time, I played eight to ten hours a day. I had a xeon x5670 4.4 GHz, 18 GB DDR3 1600 in three-channel and 1080TI Strix. For almost a year I played ARK on old drivers. In this case, the game sometimes fell, but it happened once or twice a month. Along with the game, I used MSI Afterbuner and the old version of Fraps. Once I added RivaTuner St.server module to MSI Afterbuner to monitor performance and the game began to fall every one to two hours. It does not matter whether overlay was enabled or not. I deleted RivaTuner St.server and everything began to work normally.
In mid-November, I updated the driver to play the new call of duty and faced the BAD POOL CALLER problem. Attention! I used Windows 7x64. The problem arose after about 8-10 hours of play. Sometimes more often, but never occurred after 5-20 minutes.
I tried to do a lot of things. Changed the level of overclocking system (not video cards). Increased voltage (not for a video card). Disable the monitoring program. I noticed that the problem occurs more often if the processor frequency and RAM lick (I note that x5670 and DDR3 are very weak for 1080Ti without overclocking, but in overclocking 5670 exceeds 7800x in minimum FPS in this game).
In addition, I noticed that with a slow processor and RAM, a chessboard artifact appears, which indicates problems in the video memory. This manifests itself when you open inventory - the video card temporarily switches to reduced load mode, resetting the frequency of the GPU and memory. The landscape also shows shadow errors.
When the system is in overclocking, things are better with the shadows, but there are problems too (they also wrote about this in this thread). On the old driver this was not.
Since I know a little about computer technology, I tried out different solutions to the problem besides overclocking: I changed the power supply, the disks, the cooling. Everything is useless.
Since there were no problems in other games and tests, and since there is no information about this problem in Russia, I decided to send my old computer from Win7 to rest and bought a new one.
Now I have a x299 platform: 7800x, 32 Gb RAM 4000MHz (although it only works on 3200), Asus Rampage VI Extrime and SeaSonic on 1300W. OS is Win10x64. And what would you think? Right! I have BAD POOL CALLER to! :)
In this case, the problem arises exactly the same as on Win7 - after a few hours of play. Sometimes 8-10 hours. Therefore, if you played for five hours, this does not mean that the problem would not have arisen at the sixth hour.
In addition, I realized that the problem is not related to other components of the system (CPU, RAM, motherboard and even the power supply) or version of operating system.
There have been many written different assumptions, but I want to add another - video memory. I wrote above that there were artifacts on the old system, speaking about memory problems, although they are not on the new system, and there are no problems with landscape shadows, but there is also BSOD and it is exactly the same.
This is a problem of the game and the driver and, possibly, problems in the memory of the video card, which are characteristic of the 2000 RTX series.

Hi all,

I recently (a couple weeks ago) bought a brand new PC with a 650W G+ EVGA PSU i7 8700 RTX 2070. I’m running 64 bit Win 10 Home. When I play Ark on Ragnarok (I’ve only played on ragnarok so far) I get the KERNEL_MODE_HEAP_CORRUPTION BSOD anytime between 1 to 5 hours. I don’t get this crash on any other games. Ark will freeze, then a shooter games crash message will pop up. I click OK and then it closes Ark, and then the PC gets the kernel mode heap corruption BSOD. Once I got a different stop code; SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED

What failed: BEDaisy.sys

I will try putting my shadows on low and slightly underclocking my GPU, even though it isn’t overclocked at all. and see if that helps at all. I really hope that there will soon be a proper fix for this. 

For those that get kernel_mode_heap_corruption or any other BSOD, try this. It should stop the BSOD side of things but in my personal experience the game may still crash but it will last much longer.

1 - Download this 397.93 driver

2 - Download DDU (get the 18.0.0.6 or NEWER)

3 - Disconnect the NETWORK Cable | WIFI <---Important.

4 - Search(hold Windows Key + R) > type Msconfig > go to Boot tab > Boot Option> check the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot.

5 - Run DDU

• Select: NVIDIA Software and drivers
  • Select: Clean, do not restart

6 - Search(hold Windows Key + R) > type Msconfig > go to Boot tab > Boot Option> UNcheck the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot.

7 - Back in normal Windows:

8 - Install the NVIDIA 397.93 driver

• Select: Custom
  • Uncheck Everything except the GPU driver
  • Check the CLEAN INSTALL BOX
  • Finish the Install

Reboot

Retest the problem and post back on here to say if it worked.

:)

For those that get kernel_mode_heap_corruption or any other BSOD, try this. It should stop the BSOD side of things but in my personal experience the game may still crash but it will last much longer.

4 - Search(hold Windows Key + R) > type Msconfig > go to Boot tab > Boot Option> check the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot.

5 - Run DDU

Select: NVIDIA Software and drivers

Select: Clean, do not restart

6 - Search(hold Windows Key + R) > type Msconfig > go to Boot tab > Boot Option> UNcheck the SAFE BOOT ... Apply and Reboot.

Select: Custom

Uncheck Everything except the GPU driver

Check the CLEAN INSTALL BOX

Finish the Install

Reboot

4 hours ago, Maxisnipes said:

5 - Run DDU

Select: NVIDIA Software and drivers

Select: Clean, do not restart

Select: Custom

Uncheck Everything except the GPU driver

Check the CLEAN INSTALL BOX

Finish the Install

Reboot

No Offence, but if you bothered to read the thread, I have stated a number of times that rolling back to this version is not a fix and it sill crashes here.

RTX 2070 (Armor) - got the same problem(s) (BSOD - Kernel / Pool / etc.) since about 3 day's now. 
Game ran smooth as silk from christmas up to about the 5th of january. 

Haven't changed any settings (I let Nvidia Experience find the perfect settings - everything on epic, except terrain shadow).
Driver: 417.35 (haven't changed anything via msi afterburner - so "normal" values)
Driver was 417.35 all the time (from christmas onwards, so ark always worked with it ...)

From the 25th (december) up to the 5th (january) I got about 80 hour's (81 according to steam) with no problem(s) at all. Since the 5th (january) I get one kind of error + bs + reboot at radom times (from 2 min up to about 40 min played, never got the play longer after the 5th before a crash happened).

I am not using any mods (except S+) and my windows is kinda "fresh" (new installation back in november - all drivers are up to date (BIOs, etc.)).

Still hoping for a "fix" for ark, because the game is / was the reason for the GPU purchase ...

Sorry for my english (if / when it is hard to read). Not my first (or second) language.

Archived