RTX 2080 BSOD in Ark

turbodonkey

14 hours ago, Xenithar said:

Brian2344, I mentioned the shader cache in an earlier post. This brings up an excellent point! I had found a thread over at the GeForce forums a while back and the resolution for the 2080's crashing in Windows 10 was to delete the old shader cache. Something about it not correctly removing old shaders. To clear you cache you must disable shader caching in the nVidia Control Panel, reboot, and delete the shader folder from C:\Windows\Temp and %TEMP%. This MIGHT help if you upgraded from an older card and did not do a clean install. It cannot hurt either way, just don't forget to enable shader caching again when done!

I'm currently testing the low terrain shadows setting as well, thanks for that (No problems so far). I'll also try deleting the shader cache, thanks for that (though I think it's been mentioned that this occurs even on clean loaded systems).

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Brian2344 said:

I think I found a workaround:

Terrain Shadows: Low

I've been playing for a few hours now with no crashes. Before I was getting crashes every few minutes on non-Extinction maps. I'm using Windows 10 and  the RTX 2080 Ti. Before the only thing that worked was DX10.

I will edit this post if I see a crash again.

TerrainShadowsLow.thumb.jpg.81fd20c4c484e0a10378c3934d2bda9c.jpg

do you have a ptera to fly on?

I always found i could cause the crash just by hopping onto a ptera and flying around.

I'll try this potential fix tonight when i get on my gaming rig, fingers crossed.

@FrostByghte I had to disable Distance Field Shadowing and set all shadows to low. It was stable after that. Then I tried turning shadows back up, with the exception of Terrain Shadows. It continued to be stable. Just throwing it out there.

Edit: I should note that I made all settings changes in the main menu, as @KingR17 suggested. Also, if I turn Terrain Shadows back on, it starts crashing again right away.  Also, big props to @Brian2344 for the original Terrain Shadows idea.

I already tried using a high speed Pteranodon @Swordguy. About 760 speed and no crashing while flying over every inch of the island. Seems fine so far, and I put about 4 or 5 hours in... 

@FrostByghte did you change the setting in game after loading a world, or at the main menu? I changed my settings at the main menu, just seeing if you did the same to try to figure out the specific cause. If you did, let us know if @SiriusBizniss‘s solution helps at all.

10 hours ago, KingR17 said:

@FrostByghte did you change the setting in game after loading a world, or at the main menu? I changed my settings at the main menu, just seeing if you did the same to try to figure out the specific cause. If you did, let us know if @SiriusBizniss‘s solution helps at all.

I went in and did the additional change...only had one crash in 5 hours of play time.  MUCH improved.  So I have Distance Field Shadowing disabled and Terrain Shadows off.  I'm not sure if it had any result but I also hit the drive clean app and tossed the directx cache.  Going to play more tomorrow and hopefully this holds up.

18 hours ago, KingR17 said:

I already tried using a high speed Pteranodon @Swordguy. About 760 speed and no crashing while flying over every inch of the island. Seems fine so far, and I put about 4 or 5 hours in... 

yep, i played a bit with terrain shadows low and no crashing either. Seems to be the culprit after all. Now to wait 5 years for ARK devs to fix it.

Just reporting back.  I have a friend that I hang out with frequently and we game together a lot.  We took several days off work before the holiday to play and we have very similar hardware.  Motherboards, CPU, memory, and GPU are all the exact same in our systems.  So we played ark every day from Saturday until Weds putting in around 10 hours a day. 

Day 1:  Full EPIC settings, 10 hours, no crashes on my system.  He had a few crashes on his system. (I have no idea why there was no problem this day, after all the issues I had with the game, I am simply amazed)

Day 2: 4 hours solid, then my system became completely unstable.  I couldn't run the game for 30 min without crashing.  I popped in -sm4 to stop the problem.  His system only had a few glitches, nothing major. Eventually I decided to look for a cause and I caught the thread here and decided to try to lower Terrain Shadows.  This seemed to work and I had several hours of crash free later in the evening.

Day 3: My friend's system started to get worse with crashing.  I think it was this day that I pulled out FurMark and ran a stress on my GPU just because.  I also stressed the card using 3DMark for 4 hours.  No problems.  My friend on the other hand couldn't keep the game working so he moved to DX10 mode.  My system started to BSOD again later in the session.  I switched back to DX10.

Day 4: My friend decided to weather the crashes because the game looks so rough on The Center map with DX10.  I kept with DX10 until I looked at the thread here and saw Distance Field Shadowing disabled.  So I tried that.  No problems at all after that, maybe 1 drop in 5 hours of play.

Day 5: Played at least 8 hours with no issues, then the game crashed, crashed, etc etc. About every 30 min again.  My friends also started to crash.  I'm starting to wonder if something on the map was triggering it?  I was kicking around a server restart but we were getting tired so we ended the LONG vacation of gaming in DX10 again.

Anyway, I'm not sure if this helps anyone.  I'm just sharing because this is what I observed.  My BSOD's were Bad Pool Caller, APC Index Mismatch, Attempted Write to Readonly Memory from nvlddmkm.sys, System Service Exception.  What I found interesting with one crash, is that the game crashed and did not bring down the PC.  I learned pretty quick that you have to shutdown the PC after one of these because it's going to BSOD even though the game is not running.  So I shutdown (full power off) the PC but then it still crashed after I brought it back up.  I just found this odd, like it's crashing from corruption that was written to the drive perhaps.

Now this system is one I built myself.  I've spent weeks pushing this box to the limits and tuned it in.  I pushed both the CPU and memory with stress tests and it has been running wonderfully for a very long time 24/7.  I periodically retest it to make sure stability is maintained.  Even now, I can play any game, run any stress test and it's not going to crash or BSOD.  My point is, I know my system and this is the only piece of software I currently have that exhibits this issue. 

I hope maybe some piece of this info helps someone figure out that we need to change a line in some weird remote config file someplace, or that we need to delete some random cache file...just something.  *shrug*

Wow, good job, @Brian2344! Seems you found the issue. At least part of it. I know those fancy 2080's changed the way shading is done and my guess is that since DX12 and DX11 are combined on Windows 10, the culmination of all three is affecting you guys in some negative way. So glad you all can play again! Not sure if this is an nVidia issue (new shading methods), DX11/12 on Win10 issue, or something else. I'm leaning towards nVidia for a fix since those cards are doing shading in a new way and maxing out shadows seems to trigger your crash, but who knows? At least you can all play again!

38 minutes ago, Xenithar said:

Wow, good job, @Brian2344! Seems you found the issue. At least part of it. I know those fancy 2080's changed the way shading is done and my guess is that since DX12 and DX11 are combined on Windows 10, the culmination of all three is affecting you guys in some negative way. So glad you all can play again! Not sure if this is an nVidia issue (new shading methods), DX11/12 on Win10 issue, or something else. I'm leaning towards nVidia for a fix since those cards are doing shading in a new way and maxing out shadows seems to trigger your crash, but who knows? At least you can all play again!

Ark does not use Dx12 and I have also lowered this on the GTX 1080 ti, but it still crashes for me.

4 hours ago, Xenithar said:

I know it doesn't use DX12. However, 11 and 12 are in the same bundle on Windows 10, and every BSOD dump I debugged pointed me directly at DirectX. Every. Single. One. This is why I am highly suspect of nVidia/DX. Either way, we should all give props to Brian. He got most of you back in.

Wow, you have been stating all this time that it is impossible to be software related and yet here you are saying that every BSOD dump has pointed you to a software issue.

And as for my comment earlier, all I am saying is this.

While it may have reduced the amount or frequency of this BSOD for those with series 20 Nvidia cards, it has not stopped it. I am on a GTX 1080 TI card and only get this once in a blue moon, have seen it like 5 times in the last 6 months or maybe 8 months. But every time I have seen it, Ark has crashed before the BSOD has appeared. On one of those crashes the exception was actually on the screen like most Ark crashes and had sat there for 10 minutes or so, till I actually hit the close button, then the whole system crashed with a BSOD.

The last time was 3 days ago, where I had dropped the shadows and was running the drive 399.24 as people have suggested for the series 10 cards. The strange thing was that when this happened, I was standing still (lying down to be precises to reserve energy) while I took a break to deal with RL stuff. Where I was, was in my base where very little was being rendered in and very little Dinos was around. Yet I came back just as the BSOD was doing its thing on the screen.

TL;DR

It may have reduced it, but it has not eliminated it.

Asus NVIDIA ROG STRIX GeForce GTX 1080 (8 GB)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7 CPU 6700K @ 4.0GHz 
Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 2666 Mhz 16 GB (2 x 8GB)

Nothing is overclocked.

Drivers version:  416.94

All Graphics settings is on ultra. Didn't had before BSOD i was playing ark over 6000 hours and on all times graphics settings was been ultra.

Had BSOD 4-5 min ago SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED when i was been on ragnarok ice worm boss. Only on ARK i have BSOD another games is ok.

PS: Yesterday i was playing fine without any BSOD

hey guys this is a rtx thread and now its getting cluttered with all grafix problems and would be quit confusing for ppl with this issue and wild card fixing any problems because rtx is running a dif architecture then the older one can we please keep this thread on topic and if you have a older card make a new thread or wild card might not ever get to a fix 

Archived