RTX 2080 BSOD in Ark

turbodonkey

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Well I get this BSOD on GTX 1080 TI's as well.

Always the same, Device lost, close the crash box boom BSOD.

What's your CPU? The Device lost issue where the application crashes could be a result of the Ryzen Gen 1 seg fault error. I had to RMA my1800x because of this same problem. My GTX 1080 ti runs ark no problem so I don't think your 10 series issue is software.

9 hours ago, Xenithar said:

Actually I don't. I would suggest a good read over the forums at Epic. RHI is something that was designed to work with DX12 and Windows 10. I run 7 Pro 64bit, so no DX12 and no 10. I dislike 10 on many levels and DX12 is currently a mess, so I am sticking with 7 for the time being. It will be supported through 2023, so I am good.

Also, the RHI thread is supposed to be separate on consoles and DX12 systems ONLY. This means those of us on 7 or prior must use the command. For whatever reason, Ark does not check the DX version and not use the thread if on 10 or 11. Questions about this have been asked, but not answered.

Also, the Unreal Engine, prior to 4.16 (we are using a modified 4.5 unless I am mistaken) cannot use the shader cache unless you pass "-norhithread" to it upon startup. They actually note this in the patch notes for 4.16! It is down the page a bit. Maybe 3/4 of the way down in the "Release Notes" section. Perhaps shadowing on these new cards uses said cache for whatever reason.

Ark doesn't run DX12, as far as I am aware this was never implemented by Wildcard.

9 hours ago, Xenithar said:

Also with the D3D device lost issue that Ark has struggled with for years, the "-norhithread" parameter was actually in patch notes! This has been discussed plenty of times. Heck, look at the second reply here!

I can go on and on about this, providing thousands of discussions on the point, but the rule of thumb is that the RHI thread is not the best in the world on many systems and configurations. Heck, the AMD sub-reddit has discussions about UE4 and this very thread. I run Intel so I cannot comment as to whether or not AMD is more likely to have issues. Nothing against AMD, I just prefer Intels offerings.

You need to study computers a bit before inserting your foot into your mouth. First, "every other game you tested" likely isn't running UE 4.5, so the test is invalid. May as well compare a Honda Civic to a big-rig while we're at it. Again, software cannot cause a BSOD. Hardware causes that. Learn Windows, then comment.

When I had the older GTX 960 video card and would get the Device Lost, none of the suggested work arounds ever worked.

Software can cause BSOD's, in fact the number one culprit is conflicting drivers. And if you research this BSOD, further you will note that it can be caused by the following

In the case of bad_pool_caller, what has happened is that a thread in your processor has made a bad pool request. This means that it’s asking to use resources that are unavailable, nonexistent, or in use by another thread. It could also mean that the pool header is corrupted — regardless of the particular error, it, like most BSoDs, is caused by driver issues.

Which is very common for Device Lost errors.

It's a combination of the Map, GPU and driver. Most problems with 10xx Cards are fixed by using a 399 driver from nvidia. But for us 20xx users.. yeah, we're raptored. The only way to play is using DX10. The crash will change when using the -norhithread parameter. But it's still there.

I'm able to play extinction, but every pre extinction DLC will crash instantly with -norhithread and after ~5 minutes with BSOD without it. 

So, the only thing we can do is wait.. And if your game works with -norhithread... Really nice! But it may works because of many other factors. 

CPU: i7 7700k, GPU: 2080ti, RAM: 16GB on Windows 10 with a 750W Gold PSU

17 hours ago, Hauke said:

What's your CPU? The Device lost issue where the application crashes could be a result of the Ryzen Gen 1 seg fault error. I had to RMA my1800x because of this same problem. My GTX 1080 ti runs ark no problem so I don't think your 10 series issue is software.

That's an interesting thought. Coincidentally, I just bought a 2700x and will install later to replace a Gen 1 Ryzen cpu.

I doubt the cpu is the issue as others on here are having the same issue with intel CPUs, but in this case I'm upgrading purely for the upgrade and not because there was anything wrong with my 1st Gen Ryzen, so I'm not hoping for any results or changes with ARK and RTX.

15 hours ago, CyberAngel67 said:

Ark doesn't run DX12, as far as I am aware this was never implemented by Wildcard.

When I had the older GTX 960 video card and would get the Device Lost, none of the suggested work arounds ever worked.

Software can cause BSOD's, in fact the number one culprit is conflicting drivers. And if you research this BSOD, further you will note that it can be caused by the following

In the case of bad_pool_caller, what has happened is that a thread in your processor has made a bad pool request. This means that it’s asking to use resources that are unavailable, nonexistent, or in use by another thread. It could also mean that the pool header is corrupted — regardless of the particular error, it, like most BSoDs, is caused by driver issues.

Which is very common for Device Lost errors.

You are correct in that Ark does not do DX12 yet. Maybe ever at this point.

Again, ALL BSODs are triggered by drivers. Not some, not most, ALL. In the case of a bad pool, either the memory is failing (most commonly) OR the RHI thread directed the driver to an area of memory which Ark did not own. This is why I disabled it. I debugged my Ark crashes and determined that the RHI thread (RHI runs in its own thread) was telling the driver to check one location for memory which the thread did not have access to. That is why I always recommend it be disabled as troubleshooting step number one.

In a multi-threaded application you stand to gain loads of CPU performance, but you also have many risks associated with it. Google the term "thread-safe" and you'll see what I mean. I started programming multi-threaded apps in the 90's in C++. Loads of situations can occur. Say I have access to a block of memory. I tell another thread or driver to access it. The other thread or driver is busy and it takes a few clock cycles. Now the thread or driver attempts to access the block of memory, but it has been freed or moved. Instant crash and possible BSOD if I was dealing with a driver.

This did bring up another idea which may help. Seeing as how Ark only runs two threads under normal circumstances (always?), are any of you with this crash doing funky startup parameters such as using all available cores? Two threads spread across a 16-thread or more chip may be an issue. If you do have any startup parameters, have any of you with this crash tried a clean, normal start with no parameters AND no BattlEye? If not, remove all your start parameters and try playing without BE. Just do a single player game on The Island or something and see if it still crashes. If it fixes your issue, add one parameter back at a time until it crashes. If you add them all back without a hitch, the culprit may be (and has been in the past) BE. I am not pointing a finger at BE, just making a suggestion based on past occurrences.

I actually begun having this issue today in a Single Player game on The Island. I have a GTX 1080ti with a Ryzen 1800x. All drivers up to date, nothing is overclocked or anything like that. I have been playing Extinction pretty frequently every day since release with no problems. Went on The Island for an hour or two and experienced a "kernel mode heap" crash.

1 hour ago, XFROGGYMANX said:

hey guys wild card is aware of the problem nvidea did drop a patch but as we speak wild card is working on it also this problem does not affect sli cards just singles cards just rest asured its a problem thats actively being worked on 

when you speak with such confidence you have to be able to prove your words with a link to credible source.

5 hours ago, Xenithar said:

If you do have any startup parameters, have any of you with this crash tried a clean, normal start with no parameters AND no BattlEye?

And this is where test will become skewed, simply because "no BE" also means either unofficial server (with low population) or singleplayer (with, again, barren map) and players reported here that the problem most often occurs when game has to load lots of things at once: when, for example, player approaches a big base with tons of dinos and stuff in it on a fast/flying mount.

8 hours ago, Xenithar said:

You are correct in that Ark does not do DX12 yet. Maybe ever at this point.

Again, ALL BSODs are triggered by drivers. Not some, not most, ALL. In the case of a bad pool, either the memory is failing (most commonly) OR the RHI thread directed the driver to an area of memory which Ark did not own. This is why I disabled it. I debugged my Ark crashes and determined that the RHI thread (RHI runs in its own thread) was telling the driver to check one location for memory which the thread did not have access to. That is why I always recommend it be disabled as troubleshooting step number one.

Far cry from your statement of being Hardware related.

And for me, this is brand new hardware, there is no way in hell this is a hardware fault. And while I tend to agree that drivers are usually the cause, they are not the underlying cause 90% of the time.

In a multi-threaded application you stand to gain loads of CPU performance, but you also have many risks associated with it. Google the term "thread-safe" and you'll see what I mean. I started programming multi-threaded apps in the 90's in C++. Loads of situations can occur. Say I have access to a block of memory. I tell another thread or driver to access it. The other thread or driver is busy and it takes a few clock cycles. Now the thread or driver attempts to access the block of memory, but it has been freed or moved. Instant crash and possible BSOD if I was dealing with a driver.

Yeah, about the same length of time I have been programming multi threaded apps too.

This did bring up another idea which may help. Seeing as how Ark only runs two threads under normal circumstances (always?), are any of you with this crash doing funky startup parameters such as using all available cores? Two threads spread across a 16-thread or more chip may be an issue. If you do have any startup parameters, have any of you with this crash tried a clean, normal start with no parameters AND no BattlEye? If not, remove all your start parameters and try playing without BE. Just do a single player game on The Island or something and see if it still crashes. If it fixes your issue, add one parameter back at a time until it crashes. If you add them all back without a hitch, the culprit may be (and has been in the past) BE. I am not pointing a finger at BE, just making a suggestion based on past occurrences.

No, using the cores Ark tells me it wants to use and there is not Battle Eye on my cluster of servers.

We have already done all this back in the days when Device Lost was extremely common, this BSOD is just an extension to that.

My guess is that they have some threads running that are being very rouge. I had fired up the game the other day and jumped on my island and was in it for like 10 mins when the game hung, always a good sign it is about to BSOD or show an exception when it hangs for more than a minute.

I killed the game, literally killed it.

But yet something was still running in the background with Ark, because I got a BSOD error but not the usual pool error either.

Ark seems to be very good with running threads that can't be killed, a typical example of this is to kill it when it is firing up and the game can't be found in any process and yet the music was still running for me one day. The only way I could fix it was to reboot the machine.

So with issues like this it is no wonder, that the game BSOD's when trying to do what that BSOD error says. Crashes are typical, the resource is no longer available and something has locked up and next thing you are getting a BSOD.

Just because BSOD is a driver issue, one can deduce that this BSOD is caused by another actual exception within Ark. This is evident, by the number of actual exceptions that have popped up on my screen and the moment you click close on them they BSOD.

I come from taiwan so i cant speak english well.

i play my old private server(Scorched Earth & Primitive+) long time

one day i got Zotac RTX 2080ti AMP BSOD come for me :(

and i delete my old server last week so sad :( 

before delete i try use DDU reinstall driver any 4xx.xx not work still BSOD

and reinstall game or try low setting still BSOD too

Then i create new server(Ragnarok same server setting only change map) play with my friend and DDU install 416.81 so far i never BSOD

so i think maybe server problem or Map? idk

all Ultra setting

Power 650W

CPU AMD 1600X

Ram 16G TZRX

Hello Survivors, we'd like to bring you a few updates regarding Extinction.

• We are working on a fix right now for a server crash occurring on PC servers and this should be available relatively soon/in the next few hours. This crash does affect our official network.
  • We are working closely with our partner Abstraction to solve server crashes related to Extinction content on PS4. We believe we have properly identified the source of the crash and will have a temporary fix for it very soon that will involved disabling some Extinction content. Temporary fix has been deployed to servers.
  • Primitive Plus servers are currently having issues on both platforms. We are testing fixes currently on both platforms and will continue to iterate on this further to solve the crashing issue.
  • The Linux and Mac version of Extinction are still actively being worked on and we hope to produce a viable build as soon as possible. Max and Linux is now available for download.
  • The Windows 10 version of Extinction unfortunately did not pass its initial cert process but has been resubmitted to cert again with these issues fixed. We will provide a more accurate ETA on these as soon as we have them.
  • The Japan version of Extinction is still in the certification process. We will provide a more accurate ETA on when it will be available for our Japanese survivors when we have more information.

We appreciate your patience with us during this time.

WHERE IS THIS GAME BREAKING MAJOR ISSUE IN THAT LIST? @Jen @Chris

21 hours ago, GLaD0S11 said:

I actually begun having this issue today in a Single Player game on The Island. I have a GTX 1080ti with a Ryzen 1800x. All drivers up to date, nothing is overclocked or anything like that. I have been playing Extinction pretty frequently every day since release with no problems. Went on The Island for an hour or two and experienced a "kernel mode heap" crash.

Go back to 399 driver. It fixes this issue 100%.

So i have been having the BSOD crash, bad pool caller for a few days. Just played 2 hours no crash. I started the game using the Steam Game list where it lets you choose DX 10, and no crash. Map was Ragnarok. Latest NVIDIA Driver.

Heres short DXdiag

Msi RTX 2070 Vid card
         Operating System: Windows 10 Enterprise 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
                Processor: AMD FX(tm)-8350 Eight-Core Processor            (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
                   Memory: 16384MB RAM
      Available OS Memory: 16284MB RAM
                Page File: 4803MB used, 35032MB available
              Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
          DirectX Version: DirectX 12
      DX Setup Parameters: Not found

FullDXDiag Attached 

UPDATE: played The Island 2 hours no crash, for me the fix was playing in DX10

DxDiag.txt

Well, I apologize, but I just blew the test out of the water. I picked up a 2080 (single card) and played for a few hours without a hitch. What am I supposed to do to make it crash? Mind you, this is a CLEAN install. I zeroed the disk in the test system with dd in Linux. I then installed 7 Pro 64bit and only the drivers. I also did a proper driver install. That is to say using the actual information and catalog files, not installing by running an EXE, which usually does other, unwanted things. Installed Steam and Ark. Set it up and played. My ONLY modification to Ark is "-norhithread". I still crashed every few minutes without that parameter, but no BSOD. After adding that parameter, no crashes or BSODs.

Also, stop blaming software. Software is incapable of causing a BSOD since Windows 9X. It is quite clear you haven't a clue about how these are generated and I doubt seriously you have ever programmed a day in your life. Again, only a driver can cause a BSOD unless you are in Windows 9X! What is so hard about googling if you don't deal with this stuff daily?

For those interested, the system I used to test with today has the following hardware. Sorry, we don't own ANY AMD stuff so I cannot test it with an AMD system.

i7-7820X

ASRock X299 OC Formula

64GB DDR4, QUad-Channel

Zotac GeForce 2080 (not Ti version) 8GB

Samsung MZ1LV960HCJH 960GB NVME

Corsair SF600 (600W) PSU

I also have a dual-layer blu-ray burner on the system, but it was not in use for testing and should not have affected it anyway. I played for almost three hours without any issues. I am not using water-cooling. The tower is a Corsair 230T like my regular gaming rig. Nothing special here.

At this point I'd say the difference is that I run Windows 7 and you run 10. Anybody on Windows 7 having BSOD with this card? If it works in 7 and not 10, it could indicate something dealing with DX12 or 10 itself.

2 hours ago, Xenithar said:

Also, stop blaming software. Software is incapable of causing a BSOD since Windows 9X. It is quite clear you haven't a clue about how these are generated and I doubt seriously you have ever programmed a day in your life. Again, only a driver can cause a BSOD unless you are in Windows 9X! What is so hard about googling if you don't deal with this stuff daily?

Drivers are software that are the number one cause of BSOD's, along side rouge threads, the BAD_POOL_CALLER is majority software related issue. However hardware HAS BEEN known to cause these errors as well.

Quote 1

This particular problem occurs when a program tries to use a processor thread that doesn’t exist or is currently unavailable. Typically this is at a bad IRQL level or double freeing the same memory allocation. Also, if the same thread of the processor is being used by another program, it can cause the error. In other words, if a bad pool request has been made by a thread in the processor, you can get the BAD_POOL_CALLER stop error displayed on your screen.

Quote 2

BAD_POOL_CALLER can cause many problems on your Windows 10 PC, and in this article we also covered the following issues:

• Bad pool caller crash – Many users reported that this error comes with a blue screen followed by a crash. This can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix it by using one of our solutions.
  • Bad pool caller overclock – In order to get the maximum performance, many users overclock their hardware. However, overclocking can cause various issues, such as this one, to appear. To fix the problem you need to remove all your overclock settings.
  • Bad pool caller uTorrent – Sometimes third-party applications can cause this error to appear. Many users reported that uTorrent was causing this problem, but after removing it, the issue was completely resolved.
  • Bad pool caller ESET, Avast, AVG, Kaspersky, McAfee – Antivirus software can also cause this issue to appear. Many users reported problems with tools such as ESET, Avast, AVG and Kaspersky.
  • Bad pool caller RAM – Hardware issues can also cause this problem to appear. The most common cause is your RAM, and after replacing it the issue should be resolved.
  • Bad_pool_caller rdyboost.sys, rdbss.sys, tcpip.sys, tdica.sys, usbport.sys, usbstor.sys, usbhub.sys, iusb3xhc.sys, igdkmd64.sys, picadm.sys – Often this error message will tell you which file caused the PC to crash. Once you know the file name, you just need to find the device or application that is associated with it and fix the problem.
  • Bad pool caller when inserting USBdrive – Several users reported this error only after inserting a USB drive. This can occur if your USB drive is faulty or if you have a problem with your chipset drivers.
  • Bad pool caller on startup – Many users reported that this error occurs right on startup. This can be a big problem since your PC can become stuck in a loop. In some more serious cases, your PC won’t boot at all.
  • Bad pool caller page fault in nonpaged area – This is a variation of this error, but you should be able to fix it by using solutions from this article.

Quote 3

You may have encountered the "BAD_POOL_CALLER" blue screen error also known by the code, 0x000000C2. There are number of different reasons for this error, but it usually occurs when a program attempts to use a processor thread that does not exist or is not currently available, or when the the processor thread is being used by another program

This is completely wrong.

11 hours ago, Xenithar said:

Well, I apologize, but I just blew the test out of the water. I picked up a 2080 (single card) and played for a few hours without a hitch. What am I supposed to do to make it crash? Mind you, this is a CLEAN install. I zeroed the disk in the test system with dd in Linux. I then installed 7 Pro 64bit and only the drivers. I also did a proper driver install. That is to say using the actual information and catalog files, not installing by running an EXE, which usually does other, unwanted things. Installed Steam and Ark. Set it up and played. My ONLY modification to Ark is "-norhithread". I still crashed every few minutes without that parameter, but no BSOD. After adding that parameter, no crashes or BSODs.

1. What are you supposed to do to make it crash? Honest answer, if you wanted to, is replicate the same conditions under Win10.

2. More BSODs are caused by driver issues (which, incidentally... are software) and software than hardware issues. It's utterly untrue to state that BSODs can't be caused by software. And I have programmed a day or two in my life - starting with 68k assembly. 

18 hours ago, Xenithar said:

OMG you noob. Drivers ARE software. So glad you're not working on our corporate systems.

9 hours ago, thebobmaster said:

This is completely wrong.

Wow, you didn't read the linked page, like many others I see. I'm done on this topic. If you choose to be so ignorant even when I link to a page that I literally quoted, so be it. If you know better than everybody else, update the page I linked.

6 hours ago, Agaloch said:

1. What are you supposed to do to make it crash? Honest answer, if you wanted to, is replicate the same conditions under Win10.

2. More BSODs are caused by driver issues (which, incidentally... are software) and software than hardware issues. It's utterly untrue to state that BSODs can't be caused by software. And I have programmed a day or two in my life - starting with 68k assembly. 

I don't own Windows 10. I prefer to be in control of my own system and not pay for updates. Yes, it's on the way. Google for it if you do not believe me. It is already being discussed for commercial users of 10 and personal users are only so far behind. This is a big reason that many businesses in my area have stuck with 7 or moved to a Linux distro.

I started with the 6502 chips in Atari systems. What's the point? Seems to me that 68k or 6502 is irrelevant to the problem at hand, but OK. Either way, this has become a situation of assumption. You would have to purposely write a piece of software to send erroneous info to a driver to cause a BSOD. Even then, it is the driver which would cause the BSOD. Software applications and libraries simply do not have that level of access. It literally takes a driver.

Also, since it seems to be fine with both the 10 and 20 series cards, single or SLI, under 7, my guess is that the issue is an update with 10. If the issue was with Ark sending bad data to your video driver or a system driver, it would affect all of us across all platforms. How come, according to what I was just told, this is only a Windows 10 thing? If the application itself is coded improperly, it would fail across all versions of Windows. Heck, do we have any Windows 8/8.1 users with the issue? If not that REALLY points a finger at an issue with 10. I don't have a magical version of Ark coded specifically for 7 and you run a different one for 10. A simple process of elimination can give you an idea where the problem lies.

1. What systems are crashing, BSOD, segfaulting, etc?
  2. What systems run Ark without a hitch?
  3. What graphics cards are crashing on the bad system(s)?
  4. What cards are working on the good systems?

1. Windows 10
  2. Windows Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 8.1, PS4, XB1
  3. nVidia 10xx and 20xx series
  4. All cards, including those below minimum spec

Based on that, I'd say we need to look at Windows 10. Either DX12 or maybe a setting within 10. Then again, a Windows crash dump has all the info you need to know exactly what triggered your driver into causing a BSOD. I offered to review one if you can get one to me. You can also review it yourself. Basic software for info on BSODs is easy enough to find. I recommend BluescreenView for starters. It may even give you enough info as to narrow down the exact issue. There are more advanced tools, but the ones I use are available to MS partners only. Still, you should at least try to analyze your dumps if you're not comfortable sending them out and then have something to back yourself up with. I literally linked you to an article on Wikipedia which states on the the second or third paragraph that only drivers can cause a BSOD. Now show me a dump in which an application caused one. Otherwise you're nothing but talk and hot air.

2 minutes ago, XiangZhu said:

OMG you noob. Drivers ARE software. So glad you're not working on our corporate systems.

Actually I do, and your comparison is just as stupid as saying that all vehicles are the same. Yes, drivers are software. Are drivers, libraries, applications, and boot-loaders all the same just because they're software? How about this! All vehicles are the same! That's right, kiddies! Your Honda Civic is the same as a Lamborghini! That Lambo is the same as a Kenworth big-rig! They're all vehicles so by your logic they must all be the same! This is awesome! Now every vehicle can carry 80,000lbs like a big-rig, go 200mph like a Lambo, and get 30+mpg like a Civic! I mean hell, they're all vehicles!

Try using your brain before opening your mouth. Everything that runs on your hardware is software of some kind, but none of it is the same. A driver is nor more an application than a big-rig is an economy car.

17 minutes ago, Xenithar said:

I started with the 6502 chips in Atari systems. What's the point? Seems to me that 68k or 6502 is irrelevant to the problem at hand, but OK. Either way, this has become a situation of assumption. You would have to purposely write a piece of software to send erroneous info to a driver to cause a BSOD. Even then, it is the driver which would cause the BSOD. Software applications and libraries simply do not have that level of access. It literally takes a driver.

But BAD_POOL_CALLER is actually a BSOD that is caused by Applications more than drivers, Windows enters this state because there is a serious issue with threads accessing memory they have no right to access.

In this case, Ark is the only game that is causing me this grief, no other game released in the last 4 years is causing this error for me.

So if it was a driver issue, then other games would be causing this for me, if it was a hardware issue then other games would be causing this issue for me as well.

But as the only time I am seeing this BSOD, is with Ark and only Ark then the concept of it being a Driver issue or Hardware issue is very unlikely in this case.

That leaves the Software or Application or game in this case.

And I already posted proof of other software and Applications that cause this BSOD.

Archived