RTX 2080 BSOD in Ark

turbodonkey

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh my god, I am not alone! It was driving me insane... and all other stuff seems to work fine except ARK.

We play ISO Crystal Isles and it crashed within like 5mins, when loading other maps it seemed fine first but when flying or even "enablespectator" it was also crashing sooner or later.
And crash means freeze and when ending the task BSOD. When waiting instead of ending task after a while it shows 0x887A0006 D3D device lost.

I was about to return it as defective (that's what they told me on nvidia forums) or buy a totally oversized PSU in my desperation.

Also did the whole DDU thing, remove a certain windows update, updated BIOS again, reseated everything, disabled overlays, etc

My Setup:

- Gainward GeForce RTX 2080Ti Phoenix GS
- ASUS Z170 Pro Gaming 
- i7-6700k CPU
- 16 GB G.Skill DDR4 RAM
- Be quiet! Pure Power CM BQT L8-CM-630W
- stock clocks on everything

58 minutes ago, Mugger said:

Yea they need to quit acting like there is no issue it is just plane stupid .Very dumb ! They can’t even let us know they are working on it :(

I tweeted a link to this thread @arksupport, but nothing so far.  I wouldn't expect any king of acknowledgement from them at all, they are more the head in the sand, ignore and it will go away type.  Nvidia have gone silent on the issue too.  I guess if you can add pressure on them for a response by twitter or support ticket, don't see what else we can do apart from return the 2080 :/

1 hour ago, turbodonkey said:

I tweeted a link to this thread @arksupport, but nothing so far.  I wouldn't expect any king of acknowledgement from them at all, they are more the head in the sand, ignore and it will go away type.  Nvidia have gone silent on the issue too.  I guess if you can add pressure on them for a response by twitter or support ticket, don't see what else we can do apart from return the 2080 :/

Yep^

As mentioned here: https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/2656452469257950166/

For a playable workaround until they fix this, without downgrading our 2080s, we can right click on the game in the Steam Library, and launch it in DirectX 10 mode. I was able to play on scorched earth running and flying around for an hour with no crashes.

thanks for the tips to play in DX10, but it looks so ugly that I am better off plugging in my 1080ti which works with no issues.

My main dilemma is that I don't know for certain if the card is faulty and I should return it or if it's really an ARK/UE/nvidia driver issue or even something on my end.
So far there was little to no feedback from users playing fine on 2080 to 2080 ti on DX11. And even if there are, they might just load the game for 10mins and say it's fine but in fact it isn't stable :P

I even ordered a new 850W PSU as I wasn't confident that my ~2 years old 630W PSU was up for the task, but that didn't help either :( 

RTX 2080 (Asus) on Win 10.

At first I was receiving BAD_POOL_CALLER BSODs. This was resolved using DDU (driver uninstaller) - boot in safe mode, remove all ATI, NVIDIA, and Intel drivers. Restart and install fresh NVIDIA drivers.

This dramatically reduced the frequency of BSODs, but they still occur, albeit strangely; often the game crashes (sometimes with a D3D [DirectX] error) but I have time to terminate the task before the system eventually crashes. They're no longer BAD_POOL_CALLER, but usually page fault BSODs.

I've since added the launch option (Steam -> Ark properties -> Set launch options) "-norhithread" - I haven't had a crash since.

Not a fix, but a bandaid for now, perhaps. YMMV.

Sero. 

I am in the same boat when it comes to returning the card or not returning. I could but I really don't want to.

About you psu.  Nvidia and Msi gave me the same advice that somehow my psu (4 year old Corsair RM 1000W) had degraded and was the culprit.  

So I installed the RTX in another system I have with a Cooler Master 850W psu and the same BSOD  came there to.

I only get this error with Ark, all other games works fine.

At this point this can really only be 1 of 2 things. Driver issue or Ark itself.  I would be willing to bet money on that it is Ark.

Glad to find out I’m not the only one having this issues with my MSI 2080. I first thought it was my RAM. But after some test it seemed like it was the GPU/Drivers/Ark who was causing my game to crash and if I force it to close it gave me blue screen. I have Corsair PSU HX1000i, Intel I7-5820k and MSI x99s gaming 7. I will try to test with updating my BIOS in M-Flash to see if it fix issue.

1 minute ago, Agaloch said:

Try -norhithread first (as per my post above). Haven't had a single crash since. 

Thanks for this, didn't know that one. Will definetely give it a shot when I get home. Do you know what it does, as in "reduced performance", "everything is in wireframe mode now" etc :) just curious

Tried to look it up but it didn't really indicate the implications 
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/29120-what-is-the-rhi-thread-what-is-the-difference-between-rhi-thread-and-rendering-thread 

29 minutes ago, Sero said:

Thanks for this, didn't know that one. Will definetely give it a shot when I get home. Do you know what it does, as in "reduced performance", "everything is in wireframe mode now" etc :) just curious

Tried to look it up but it didn't really indicate the implications 
https://forums.unrealengine.com/development-discussion/rendering/29120-what-is-the-rhi-thread-what-is-the-difference-between-rhi-thread-and-rendering-thread 

The implications are probably just a minor performance decrease; benchmark level only, I doubt you'd notice it in reality. 

As far as I know -norhithread simply stops the rendering hardware interface (which communicates between UE4 and directx) from running on its own independent thread. 

I'm not an expert by any measure though, so I'm happy for someone to correct me if I'm wrong.

1 hour ago, Agaloch said:

Try -norhithread first (as per my post above). Haven't had a single crash since. 

It seems to be related to Ark's directx parallelisation implementation.

I have been getting the BSOD randomly, as has my fiance for the past week. I am wondering if in the last update something it the coding caused this, it was never an issue before. We have the 1080Ti though, just built our PC's a month ago. 

I will give this a shot, sick of randomly losing otters to it. LOL

Thank you :)

-norhithread doesn't work for me unfortunately.

At least it hangs and BSODs when I

1. start ARK 
  2. go to HOST/LOCAL 
  3. choose ISO Crystal Isles as map (acts as my "reference" atm as we currently play on that map and it seems to crash the fastest)
  4. no other mods/changes 
  5. load in
  6. type enablespectator
  7. fly around for ~10-30s

-d3d10 seems to work but it looks bad :(

D3D10 https://i.imgur.com/PqRSJr4.jpg
D3D11 https://i.imgur.com/vUqBzVJ.jpg

Also did a fresh DDU / safe mode 411.70 install for good measure.

It is :P

Yeah on other maps it took longer to get crashes, but when flying around in spectator mode it usually crashed at some point as well (~10-30mins). Maybe Isolde drove it to the max regarding size, effects or "ARK features" being used :)

Not sure if related but I think I often noticed (terrain?) shadows dissappearing and appearing prior to crashes. 

So crystal isle did also crash for you with RHI thread disabled?

Just to put in my 2 cents... 1080 ti is having the same issues. I will get into game and after a few minutes the game locks up/BSOD follows. Something with a new version of a driver must not be interacting well with the game? I can play 4 or 5 lol games with no issues, CSGO, Forza, etc. Must be an Ark thing.

Map : Ragnarok 

i7-8700k 5 ghz

32gb ddr4 3000

GTX 1080 TI 

I recently read a thread on Steam forum about RTX 2080 working fine with ARK in DX10 mode, so I installed my 2080 again, added launch options

-USEALLAVAILABLECORES -sm4 -d3d10

(so I don't have to launch from steam everytime), and played ARK for 8 hours straight last night without a single crash or problem.  

While it is a small drop in quality for effects of AO, tessellation, ground clutter and distant shadowing, on the upshot I can play in 4K with high or epic settings and get average 60-90 FPS, and to be honest the game looks better and cleaner in DX10 mode. I have to be honest, If they ever fix the issue I will probably still play in DX10 mode for the easiness on the eyes. 

Archived