RTX 2080 BSOD in Ark

turbodonkey

• Replies 661
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Mugger said:

keep us updated if its good ill put card back in and try again xD

Nah, I'm getting a bit longer but still the same net result, Ark freezes and Windows throws a bugcheck BAD_POOL_CALLER.  RTX might as well be a doorstop.  Ark was listed by Nvida as a release title supporting the new cards, but hey ho, Ark is nothing if not consistent.  Nvidia are completely impotent with their support regarding this, getting nowhere, and no chance I'm even going to bother opening a support ticket to WC.  Back to the old card.

I've been escalated to Nvidia 2nd level support...

Your case is being escalated to our Level 2 Tech Support group.  The Level 2 agents will review the case notes and may attempt to recreate your issue or find a workaround solution if possible.  As this process may take some time we ask that you be patient and a Level 2 tech will contact you as soon they can to help resolve your issue.

Just got my 2080 in yesterday, DDU'd old drivers, installed latest, similar problem.

EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming
Ryzen 1700x
Corsair 1000i
16GB Mem
Asus X370 Pro

Game crashes after a random amount of time, and if I force close the game then the system hangs and reboots. Don't even get blue screen. Reinstalled ARK, tested different graphic settings, eventually sent Nvidia a detailed feedback to their driver support, and reinstalled my 1080ti while someone figures this out. Pretty bad too, considering the Unreal Engine 4 is heavily geared toward Nvidia, and the game (maybe it's my imagination) looks better on the 2080 somehow (maybe how thinks are rendered from a distance, not sure), even with same settings. 

57 minutes ago, Swordguy said:

Game crashes after a random amount of time, and if I force close the game then the system hangs and reboots. Don't even get blue screen. Reinstalled ARK, tested different graphic settings, eventually sent Nvidia a detailed feedback to their driver support, and reinstalled my 1080ti while someone figures this out. Pretty bad too, considering the Unreal Engine 4 is heavily geared toward Nvidia, and the game (maybe it's my imagination) looks better on the 2080 somehow (maybe how thinks are rendered from a distance, not sure), even with same settings. 

It certainly did look amazing for the 5-10 minutes I was able to run it. I turned all graphics settings to Epic and check all the boxes for high quality settings. Got about 50 FPS on scorched earth @1440p resolution. Tried turning all the gfx settings back to minimum to see if one of them was causing the crash but it didn't change. Also, I don't think this is specific to UE4, but to Ark, as other UE4 games I play have not had this issue at all.

13 minutes ago, AYBFunkyMonkey said:

It certainly did look amazing for the 5-10 minutes I was able to run it. I turned all graphics settings to Epic and check all the boxes for high quality settings. Got about 50 FPS on scorched earth @1440p resolution. Tried turning all the gfx settings back to minimum to see if one of them was causing the crash but it didn't change. Also, I don't think this is specific to UE4, but to Ark, as other UE4 games I play have not had this issue at all.

Maybe it's the sheer size of the gameworld in ARK? ARK does seem to do a lot of texture streaming between memory, storage and graphic card when you move about the map.

I can reproduce the game crash and system hang usually by getting on a flying mount and flying around, or ever hopping on dino and walking around the map. Sometimes the crash happens 100 feet from base, sometimes I can reach other side of map. One thing I do notice is that at least half the crashes have occurred when turning around 180 degrees and moving in opposite direction, or being still and then moving quickly. I sent a bug report to both nvidia and SW, and mention that it's possibly a texture/asset streaming issue (which a UE4 game wouldn't necessarily need to do if the game world is smaller), but beyond that I can't think of what else would be causing the problem, because after swapping out with 1080ti everything's fine, knock on wood. 

3 minutes ago, Swordguy said:

Maybe it's the sheer size of the gameworld in ARK? ARK does seem to do a lot of texture streaming between memory, storage and graphic card when you move about the map.

I can reproduce the game crash and system hang usually by getting on a flying mount and flying around, or ever hopping on dino and walking around the map. Sometimes the crash happens 100 feet from base, sometimes I can reach other side of map. One thing I do notice is that at least half the crashes have occurred when turning around 180 degrees and moving in opposite direction, or being still and then moving quickly. I sent a bug report to both nvidia and SW, and mention that it's possibly a texture/asset streaming issue (which a UE4 game wouldn't necessarily need to do if the game world is smaller), but beyond that I can't think of what else would be causing the problem, because after swapping out with 1080ti everything's fine, knock on wood. 

This is true for me also, I seem to stand a much higher chance of causing the crash if I move around quickly and use flying mounts etc.

2 hours ago, AYBFunkyMonkey said:

Also, I don't think this is specific to UE4, but to Ark, as other UE4 games I play have not had this issue at all.

I may not have a RTX Card but, people are forgetting 1 thing about ARK's UE4 Engine. They started making the game while the engine was still in development, they then started modifying the engine to their needs and this resulted in being unable to upgrade to never version without breaking most of the game. This may also cause issues as it uses an older UE4 version which may not support all of the new stuff, don't rule out UE4 just yet.

Archived