Dear Wildcard: A solution instead of a rant.

Poppet

Hi Wildcard. Long time player here from the early days who has endured all the growing pains and rollbacks and bugs and stuck with it for over 5k hours on my main account. I had to leave for a couple years,  but recently returned when some friends and I got nostalgic and decided to see what you have grown up to become.

I have to say you still have keyed in on some great material that just wasn't out there. You appeal to me still, you really do. But the tame cap just has to go.

Now, I know why. I understand. I felt the agony of game crashes coming into view of certain bases with loads of dinos. I know about 'Box tribes' who fanatically collect every variation of dino color they can fine then let them sit in 'boxes' doing nothing much other than that. 

You can't have just one (You really can't...you need kibble for bigger and better dino tames, or you need to go to war and need backups...so collecting is a major part of the game). You can't really arbitrarily tell a consumer they can only have X dinos...to many variables at play for that. But what is worse is people buying a game...that they can't actually play.

Today's situation that keyed off this post: Two weeks of searching for an official map for friends and I to play on where we can actually tame the distinct dinos of that map. We found a place on Aberration...but not a single other official map connects to that one that will allow us to establish an outpost there. Not one. Every inquiry, every hop to explore....not a single official alternative map was open. (side rant- why do you not have server health statistics informing new players a server is tame capped?! Ping is great to know...but being able to actually tame a dino would be good info as well...) I have witnessed player after player signing on and asking..."hey are you tame capped?"  And today on a Rag map we  resigned ourselves to just for the pearls and oil...a guy comes on looking for a home for himself and his son to actually play this brand new game they bought...only to be told for the umpeenth time "Sorry...tame capped...you can't tame dinos here."

The guy was understandably upset. He bought a game that looked fun. He was told all these amazing things he could do...build, tame a dino for every job, meet people...yada yada. But after buying it and getting it home...no sorry, you can't do that on an official map.

So Wildcard. Is this good enough for you? Players say a lot of angry things but I don't want to think this is where you stop caring.

So I bring you a possible solution to your overly successful game:

Allow players to use the TEK line to install Barns on their property. A prefabricated, one size fits all structure you can walk a dino into...and let it upload off the server  to a 'holding pen'. One barn per dino type. Stego. Rex. Giga. Bronto. You can have every color, stat and level you like...but it is off the server so performance is not hindered. People can land a bird and 'view dino' to see what you have and what levels and how it looks if maybe they want to buy or breed. (A setting you can control- say a 'open for viewing' option radial dial). You can display a couple dinos if you like. Out in the field..whatever. But the mega collections are all stored data off the server.

You get eggs from the 'barn' from a dispenser. You put food in a trough to feed them all- or they die just like usual. The barn does not stop decay.

You can have dinos out while online. When the offline timer kicks in= dinos upload again.

Maybe..if people really want to display their hoard-implement an unrestricted monthly fee. That's right..if you want to have them all out...pay for it.

This is just one idea. But you have to address this dino cap thing somehow. I really want to play your game on official settings with other folks.

Thanks.

Simple solution:

They want everyone to go to unofficial servers, since we are still complaining, it looks obvious by now.

Longer one:

To give them the benefit of the doubt, game wasn't made to be a pokemon stadium where you have to ask for permission to battle, they wanted a slaughter and expected you to stay on the game forever cause of tame timers, offline situations, dc's, under mesh, dino disappearing, boss glitches, boss disconnects, the list goes on but yea idk, its meh. 

Didn't want to read everything you posted i wanted to address what i wanted to address.

Tame cap will never be fixed because the game was made for PVP. PvE was tacked on and with game-breaking issues like tame cap, it shows.

I have to give it to wild card really. Every other game company tries to appeal to as many different demographics as they can. Wild Card are the only ones I know of that don't give a poop about this and solely built their game for the hardcore community.

There are a couple mods that are really useful for PvE servers and could help with tame cap. But you would have to switch to unofficial and have the steam version to use them.

Dino storage mod (lots of settings to customize)

Dino garage (newer mod, tied to set of modular mods)

The only real solution for official servers would be to make them all some form of PvP.  

9 hours ago, Culex said:

2500 hours PVP I've never heard of this Tame Cap problem so I assume it must be with PVE? The solution is simple, split ~$15 amongst your friends and rent your own private server. Tame Cap probably exists to limit server performance problems which in all likely are virtual.

This is not only a PVE issue, and as far as i am aware, is much more restrictive on console where tame limits are significantly lower. 

I have personally Tame capped storage servers on PC Official PVP it took a while (like a month of taming every dodo seen on server, we even had dodo/jerboa breeding lines) but was sooooo worth it.

It used to be an accepted strategy for mega tribes to exploit the game mechanics. Tame cap the server so that invaders cannot download soaking or scouting tames. They would try and download a tame, it leaves the obi, and would instantly de-spawn, permanently. 

Im using past tense purely as i have been unable to play for 4-6 weeks (killed my pc) but shall be returning to official soon, all my tames will be dead as ive been a solo player for the last 6 months, but i doubt anybody has found my loot store.

On 9/26/2018 at 9:15 AM, Saupe said:

This is not only a PVE issue, and as far as i am aware, is much more restrictive on console where tame limits are significantly lower. 

I have personally Tame capped storage servers on PC Official PVP it took a while (like a month of taming every dodo seen on server, we even had dodo/jerboa breeding lines) but was sooooo worth it.

It used to be an accepted strategy for mega tribes to exploit the game mechanics. Tame cap the server so that invaders cannot download soaking or scouting tames. They would try and download a tame, it leaves the obi, and would instantly de-spawn, permanently. 

Im using past tense purely as i have been unable to play for 4-6 weeks (killed my pc) but shall be returning to official soon, all my tames will be dead as ive been a solo player for the last 6 months, but i doubt anybody has found my loot store.

I guess they fixed it, you used to be able to upload to a tame capped server going over the dino cap. Isnt the dino cap something like 9500 dinos? That would require like 23 tribes.

2 hours ago, Culex said:

I guess they fixed it, you used to be able to upload to a tame capped server going over the dino cap. Isnt the dino cap something like 9500 dinos? That would require like 23 tribes.

They may have done. But yes, the common strategy was to basically fill a cave with dodos/lystros/jerboas but not from your main tribe, you use alts allied with the main tribe on server (take your character off server, start tribe with new one, ally up, hit tame limit, bring another character across, start a new tribe, hit tame limit etc).

So the main tribe has full access to, and defends the tame cap cave. If you want to go one better, you triple wall WITH SPACES inside the cave (reduces chance of tames wandering through walls) and set them all to wander, eggs dropped wont hatch, but the strain it puts on servers can cause roll backs/server crashes if you try and load them in too quick (i.e.  150+ move speed, run straight on through and turn around).

On 9/25/2018 at 8:14 PM, Poppet said:

Hi Wildcard. Long time player here from the early days who has endured all the growing pains and rollbacks and bugs and stuck with it for over 5k hours on my main account. I had to leave for a couple years,  but recently returned when some friends and I got nostalgic and decided to see what you have grown up to become.

I have to say you still have keyed in on some great material that just wasn't out there. You appeal to me still, you really do. But the tame cap just has to go.

Now, I know why. I understand. I felt the agony of game crashes coming into view of certain bases with loads of dinos. I know about 'Box tribes' who fanatically collect every variation of dino color they can fine then let them sit in 'boxes' doing nothing much other than that. 

You can't have just one (You really can't...you need kibble for bigger and better dino tames, or you need to go to war and need backups...so collecting is a major part of the game). You can't really arbitrarily tell a consumer they can only have X dinos...to many variables at play for that. But what is worse is people buying a game...that they can't actually play.

Today's situation that keyed off this post: Two weeks of searching for an official map for friends and I to play on where we can actually tame the distinct dinos of that map. We found a place on Aberration...but not a single other official map connects to that one that will allow us to establish an outpost there. Not one. Every inquiry, every hop to explore....not a single official alternative map was open. (side rant- why do you not have server health statistics informing new players a server is tame capped?! Ping is great to know...but being able to actually tame a dino would be good info as well...) I have witnessed player after player signing on and asking..."hey are you tame capped?"  And today on a Rag map we  resigned ourselves to just for the pearls and oil...a guy comes on looking for a home for himself and his son to actually play this brand new game they bought...only to be told for the umpeenth time "Sorry...tame capped...you can't tame dinos here."

The guy was understandably upset. He bought a game that looked fun. He was told all these amazing things he could do...build, tame a dino for every job, meet people...yada yada. But after buying it and getting it home...no sorry, you can't do that on an official map.

So Wildcard. Is this good enough for you? Players say a lot of angry things but I don't want to think this is where you stop caring.

So I bring you a possible solution to your overly successful game:

Allow players to use the TEK line to install Barns on their property. A prefabricated, one size fits all structure you can walk a dino into...and let it upload off the server  to a 'holding pen'. One barn per dino type. Stego. Rex. Giga. Bronto. You can have every color, stat and level you like...but it is off the server so performance is not hindered. People can land a bird and 'view dino' to see what you have and what levels and how it looks if maybe they want to buy or breed. (A setting you can control- say a 'open for viewing' option radial dial). You can display a couple dinos if you like. Out in the field..whatever. But the mega collections are all stored data off the server.

You get eggs from the 'barn' from a dispenser. You put food in a trough to feed them all- or they die just like usual. The barn does not stop decay.

You can have dinos out while online. When the offline timer kicks in= dinos upload again.

Maybe..if people really want to display their hoard-implement an unrestricted monthly fee. That's right..if you want to have them all out...pay for it.

This is just one idea. But you have to address this dino cap thing somehow. I really want to play your game on official settings with other folks.

Thanks.

I have seen a mod that tries to do that "barn" thing and the idea of that mod was to make it look "underground/bunker like" so it dos not break immersion within the context (although to be fair, Ark already deals well with "mass displacement" scenarios). 

I really like your proposal as a potential solution.

The fact we will be able to "convert animals into items" in Extinction, similar to PixArk, but sadly in Extinction they will expire and will need some sort of individualized maintenance (I would prefer an accumulated cost as a feed all once instead of dealing with each animal individually), I would still need to harvest food though, as I think it is necessary because otherwise it would be game breaking. 

While I have stated again and again that I moved off to a private server long ago, this thing would indeed be highly efficient in my case as well. My base takes a lot to load, requires a lot of space and could use an optimization feature like this one so it is not as taxing on my hardware.

Cheers!

On 9/26/2018 at 3:14 AM, Culex said:

2500 hours PVP I've never heard of this Tame Cap problem so I assume it must be with PVE? The solution is simple, split ~$15 amongst your friends and rent your own private server. Tame Cap probably exists to limit server performance problems which in all likely are virtual.

That's not a solution, its a workaround. I understand that you're trying to be helpful, but that's not actually helping.

It's WC's need to improve their game mechanics to actually solve the problem.

I've played PvP Official, PvP Unofficial, PvE Official, PvE Unofficial, Primitive+ Official and Solo - and the problems with this (otherwise great game) are all the fault of bad decisions made by WC.

On 9/26/2018 at 3:31 AM, Jacira said:

Tame cap will never be fixed because the game was made for PVP.

It could be fixed, but WC refuses to do so. Just like they recently refused to fix the kibble tree (again). Everything wrong with this game could be fixed, it could be equally fun for new and old players alike, WC just doesn't want to bother.

On 9/26/2018 at 7:48 AM, Weiss said:

If tame cap was shown in the server list, storage tribes would flood the ones that have slots left.

They already do that. Showing tame caps would not hurt storage tribes, and would help regular players, that's still a win.

Unfortunately, it would also expose just how badly WC has managed their game mechanics and caused unnecessary tame caps, so they won't do it.

Archived