Tips & Tricks

LulzAtLife

So solo tribe PVP ? Best advice is to wait another month for extinction to release. All the try hards on AB will jump ship to EX leaving AB less crowded. Other than that .....make friends....like a lot of friends. Get to know the big tribes and try to get a feel for how murderous they are. If they live to hunt down small tribes and wipe them then you should move on to a different server. Bottom line is there are only so many places to build and hide in AB which means sooner or later you will be spotted and followed. This means that you will have to make a stand and defend your stuff......which you can't really do solo. So your best bet is to get into a large tribe or find a way to make peace with the large tribes. Just know that peace is little more than time to prepare for war. Of course you can always go PVE but then instead of players you will be fighting pillars, so pick your poison.

PvP wise Aberration is unforgivable and there are only so many places to hide. The map is brutal enough without also adding a human element. Thankfully though not every bit is pillared, so you can get a spot and alternatively ask nicely if you can have a spot. Be warned though, Chinese players can be sausages even in pve. Another perk is that typically Aberration maps are not tame capped due to the limited space and the fact there are no flyers, so no easy mode.

Avoid the river part of map until you can glide and climb. Climbing picks and glider wings and a good ghile set is invaluable for travel. Greater player mobility is one of the highlights of Aberration

If you see Ravengers, avoid them and if you must go that way, wait until they aggre on something. If you are being attacked, seek high ground such as a big rock they can't get up to and shoot at them with a bow. You could also carry bolas to stop them in their tracks.

There are mushrooms all over the map. The Red ones you have to be careful of. There will be a cone shaped one that has red on the bottom that will make you hallucinate, drown in your own own fluids, and poop yourself. There are brown ones that are safer to pick. They come in the brown ones which will fill your hunger, Auric which fills your stam but makes you thirsty, blue that increases torpor by a lot, and aqua which refills your water at the cost of hunger. There are also blue mushrooms on the sides of roads in the blue area, which will knock you out for a long while. I heard there are some mushrooms in Red that also do this.

Pit traps are useful in the sense you use a ramp to walk a creature into the trap for pve. Grappling hooks can be used for some smaller creatures such as dodos and featherlights to drag them home. 

All in all, be very aware of your surroundings.

Metal is distributed much differently as opposed to other maps. I recommend starting around the fertile lake region, somewhere near the north west surface access -- because that is going to be your easiest early metal access. The entrance to it will appear to damage you (it does not, in fact) but you will need to consume aggravaic (sp) mushrooms to counter the hallucination effect to go through that little bit.

Use bolas, metal bear traps and a good bow to knock out a ravager, which would be a good early tame. They take half weight on a lot of resources. You will need to construct a taming pen with a catapult to tame a Karkinos, make it 3x3 with 3x tall pillars and ramps going into the top, with the catapult 3 foundations away and 4 high. If you leave the green area (forest, etc.) and descend into the map, you will need to have a "light", a shoulder pet, your bulldog things to start with. Set it to "auto-activate at full", and then use your brackets [ - ] to pet it while it is on your shoulder to turn the light on/off. Without the light on, reapers will spawn in the deeper areas of the map, anywhere, and in time, mob you and your tames. If you don't know how to use emotes (the brackets) then you'd have to throw the  pet off to turn the light on/off. Megalosaurus spawns in the blue area too, which you will need another taming pen for that, and large bear traps to hold it in while you close the gates. The Mega is perhaps the highest-damage mount of abb, and if you get very good ones, you can even use them to proceed further and get drake eggs. Also note that Spinos have knockback which makes them safe to kill Alpha Karks, which is the safest method to do so, and gives the spino it's own value. (on top of also being able to go deeper into abb)

I recommend taming a few ravengers once you are capable and travel with them in a pack - they can handle themselves and it saves you from loss from disconnects, surprises, etc. Note that a wild ravenger can 1v1 a tame ravenger and win, because the wilds have a gash effect that damages % over time - insane amounts of damage upon high health ravangers.

If you transfer a lot, know that aberration is a pain in the %$% because the visibility of drops is basically your render range - so you can't see them at a distance at all, and the obelisks for a new player - or even, a mid-game one, are all but inaccessible due to a plethora of reaper kings on the surface. The surface will burn you in the day, but the north-west area you can safely enter in the day and mine at least a few 1,000 metal ore without any issue, as there is a ton of ore in the inner cave, the surface entrance is high above and at the end. If your server has that blocked off, don't start there.

You can get most areas on the map with a ravenger, with little need for gliders or climbing hooks, which I never use tbh. And there are special locations that are quite defendable by advanced solo players. I appreciate avoiding Giga and flyer (Quetz) metas, leaving me with far fewer raid strategies to defend against.

I recommend starting on abb now if you plan on playing extinction, as a lot of the screenshots seem similar in multiple ways, I'd venture a guess to say the experience may be invaluable. Flyers will, however, be on extinction (ptera, is listed, at the least, and Wyvern is in screenshots)

Archived