Underwater base - viable?

BremFM

Hi,

I play on a small tribe official server. We are approaching the point where we can start doing alpha center most likely (just tamed a rex that had 360 base melee, now we can either find one with 10k+ or use our current 8k base hp rex to breed it with. Doable, right?)

We absolutely love the ocean. It looks epic, swimming around on a 160% movement speed dolphin is so much fun. And it's a lot less laggy. 

So we were thinking of building an underwater base. We have a base on the land which we would put a teleporter in, and we'd place one in our underwater base so we can farm on the main land and just teleport that poop over. I was thinking 3-4 X 3-4 X 3, should be doable with the ~200 we get from the boss fight and should be able to fit a teleporter inside. Then we can do the fight again for another 200 element to craft the teleporters, and then once more to keep our vacuum compartments running (I read the generator only consumes 1 element per 18 hours, so one boss fight would grant us half a year of power)

Our pros:

-looks raptoring epic

-i think the odds of someone finding it are very slim

-easier to defend because we are used to the setting and will be prepared for that (lots of tentacle dudes and eels?)

-looks raptoring epic

A few things we are still struggling with:

-How does defending work?

-is it doable?

-any other tips?

Yours sincerely,

BremFM

Defending would actually be easier than defending on land. 

Keep your base hidden. Bury it behind some of those giant leafy things. Hide your tames in a different spot. Theres tons of gaps and crevices big enough to hide a couple tuso. Good advice for any base.

People cant use rockets under water and unless they have tek, will need to dismount to do any damage to your base. And theyll be wearing scuba, most likely. Use a few heavies on player only for your passive defenses. Underwater mines are effective only if people arent paying attention. Almost any tame will outrun them and cause them to detonate before they deal any damage. A few hidden ones might catch someone by surprise.

As for active defense, have baryonyx on standby leveled for movement speed. Get right up to the saddle and spin the character. You can knock anyone off any mount and stun them that way.

Tuso and mosa are good for killing tames after they are dismounted, but baryonyx is a staple for underwater life. Spin to win.

I haven't tamed any yet, but I would think a horde of manta with good saddles might help take down dinos. Their attacks ignore armor.

5 hours ago, Lycan187u said:

Golem can still drain an mosa with c4 on platform can be pushed into ur structures not so much harder to raid I mind wipe an place points hp\oxy few basilo can easily eat tuso\eels but ya less trolls would find ur spot for sure 

Can we put golems on turret mode and use them to defend? They any good?

11 hours ago, Melcreif said:

No but if you have enough heavys they would be your best underwater defense.  They'd shred the golems as well.

So heavy turrets are all we'd need? No plant X? I imagine 80 turrets and 20 plant X would do the job no? Since they slow mounts. Anything else we can use? Get a bunch of tentacle dudes and soak them with stone right next to the base so they can't flak run/swim/whatever?

Also does anyone have a suggestion as to where we should build it on The Center? We were thinking of using a corner of the map, so that we'd only have to defend 2 walls instead of all 4.

cant use plant x underwater? a few tek turrets could be a nice addition i think. 

20 hours ago, Lycan187u said:

Golem can still drain an mosa with c4 on platform can be pushed into ur structures not so much harder to raid I mind wipe an place points hp\oxy few basilo can easily eat tuso\eels but ya less trolls would find ur spot for sure 

if they're planning on building deep ocean the bassis would be taking tons of damage just on getting down there first. some decent squids would destroy them after that lol. 

On 9/20/2018 at 12:01 PM, BremFM said:

So we were thinking of building an underwater base. We have a base on the land which we would put a teleporter in, and we'd place one in our underwater base so we can farm on the main land and just teleport that poop over. I was thinking 3-4 X 3-4 X 3, should be doable with the ~200 we get from the boss fight and should be able to fit a teleporter inside. Then we can do the fight again for another 200 element to craft the teleporters, and then once more to keep our vacuum compartments running (I read the generator only consumes 1 element per 18 hours, so one boss fight would grant us half a year of power)

I've done exactly what you're planning on the reg servers before, and litteraly no cross server raiders would look through the deep center ocean unless they'd somehow been told that u had a setup there. we had ours (with all our watertames) stay completely untouched for like a month after the rest of the server got wiped. just make sure to get enough elem n all down there to last for a long time in case your land setup gets mashed. 

29 minutes ago, Corrigan said:

Ima snowball ontop of the post above me and say hoard enough materials down there to pop up a small outpost on land somewhere encase your land base gets wiped. Traveling from deep ocean to land for the essential mats to rebuild seems miserable xP

Yes we will be keeping our current base which is already really difficult to raid. We will be placing a teleporter inside so we can easily transfer our items between the two bases.

I'd take one of those weird little tunnels that's on the cieling in the deep ocean cave/cavity. 

Unless they come down with a cliff platform and transmitter, no chance of getting a golem up there to soak. And even then, terrain is super uneven.

I like the idea of weighted tusos. Get some good saddles. Enemies will be limited in their weapons underwater. No compounds for armor pen, and I'm sure fire arrows dont work either. No quality harpoon guns exist either. They can still be sniped with enough time and arrows though. Or minigun plesi.

Archived