PreventDownloadSurvivor setting Doesn't work?

Spiike

Hello, So I am having issues setting up CrossARK servers, with the Island, Ragnarok and Aberration. What i need is to allow player transfer from each of the servers. Now the farthest I have gotten is that I can upload dino, and item to the ark and then logon to the other server and i can download it from the ark. No problem. Works great. meaning the cluster is working and the settings are correct. but when i click on transfer to ark, and it gives me a list, it shows no servers. I have gone through and port forwarded and checked all my settings, firewall off, dmz set to my Ip temporarily. i've used NSSM to run them in background and then to start server i use net start arkabb or theisland or ragnarok and the service starts in background. I also have batch files for updating validating the server files. from my understanding -NoTransferFromFiltering is not really relavent, i've removed it because its just myself and my 2 kids. so i can access all 3 servers just fine, from 2 different computers on the network. and i have tried 2 different computers, i7 3770 16gb ram and a fx 8350 with 32gb ram on mechanical harddrive cached with ssd with primocache. Am I missing something? I've researched, googled, and read for a few hours and spent half a day messing about, because after i'm done with aberration i want to move stuff to ragnarok and the island and possibly farm metal on aberration and bring to ragnarok etc.. without cheats.

my bat file for aberration is

start ShooterGameServer.exe "Aberration_P?listen?Port=7779?AltSaveDirectoryName=Aberration?QueryPort=27017?ServerPassword=***?SessionName=SpiikesAberration?ServerAdminPassword=***?MaxPlayers=12?PreventDownloadSurvivors=False?PreventDownloadItems=False?PreventDownloadDinos=False?PreventUploadSurvivors=False?PreventUploadItems=False?PreventUploadDinos=False" -clusterid=spiiked -UseBattleEye
exit

bat file for island is 

start ShooterGameServer.exe "TheIsland?listen?Port=7777?AltSaveDirectoryName=Island?QueryPort=27015?listen?ServerPassword=***?SessionName=SpiikeIsland?ServerAdminPassword=***?MaxPlayers=12" -clusterid=spiiked

bat file for ragnarok

start ShooterGameServer.exe "Ragnarok?AltSaveDirectoryName=Ragnarok?Port=7781?QueryPort=27019?ServerPassword=***?SessionName=SpiikesRagnarok?ServerAdminPassword=***?MaxPlayers=12?PreventDownloadSurvivors=False?PreventDownloadItems=False?PreventDownloadDinos=False?PreventUploadSurvivors=False?PreventUploadItems=False?PreventUploadDinos=False" -clusterid=spiiked

I won't post the entire game.ini and gameusersettings.ini just the settings that i've changed

SupplyCrateLootQualityMultiplier=5.000000
FishingLootQualityMultiplier=10.000000

MatingIntervalMultiplier=0.010000
EggHatchSpeedMultiplier=30.000000
BabyMatureSpeedMultiplier=50.000000
BabyFoodConsumptionSpeedMultiplier=0.500000
BabyImprintingStatScaleMultiplier=1.000000
BabyCuddleIntervalMultiplier=0.031000
BabyCuddleGracePeriodMultiplier=20.000000
BabyCuddleLoseImprintQualitySpeedMultiplier=0.1000000

GlobalSpoilingTimeMultiplier=3.000000

LayEggIntervalMultiplier=0.400000

bFlyerPlatformAllowUnalignedDinoBasing=False

for the gameusersettings.ini

NoTributeDownloads=False

AllowCaveBuildingPvE=True

ServerPVE=True

PreventUploadSurvivors=False
PreventUploadItems=False
PreventUploadDinos=False
PreventDownloadSurvivors=False
PreventDownloadItems=False
PreventDownloadDinos=False
CrossARKAllowForeignDinoDownloads=True

MaxPersonalTamedDinos=4000.000000
PersonalTamedDinosSaddleStructureCost=2
HarvestAmountMultiplier=4.000000
TamingSpeedMultiplier=4.000000
OverrideOfficialDifficulty=5.0
PlayerCharacterWaterDrainMultiplier=0.700000
PlayerCharacterFoodDrainMultiplier=0.700000

AllowFlyerCarryPVE=True

When you setup your port forwarding, did you allow 7777, 7778, 7779, 7780, 7781, 7782, 27015, 27017, 27019 on UDP ?

When you specify (for example) Port=7777, Ark will also use 7778 so your setup needs 9 port numbers.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

There are lots of reports on the web about problems when using DMZ's  so it might be worth turning that off.  DMZ's are not needed when you can use port forwarding - and they can leave your machine more vulnerable to network attacks.

-NoTransferFromFiltering won't have any effect for you at the moment because your server is password protected, but you might consider using it if you ever open up your server or remove your passwords.

Also - please note that you've left your admin password in one of your server lines in your original post.

AFAIK: the servers have to report in to the Ark mothership (metaphorically speaking) for the cluster to operate, so it feels more like a port forwarding or firewall issue than anything else.

I might be a bit extreme here, but there is an online string generator at https://www.random.org/strings/ if you want to generate a unique cluster ID?

4 hours ago, DuoMog said:

When you setup your port forwarding, did you allow 7777, 7778, 7779, 7780, 7781, 7782, 27015, 27017, 27019 on UDP ?

When you specify (for example) Port=7777, Ark will also use 7778 so your setup needs 9 port numbers.

https://ark.gamepedia.com/Dedicated_Server_Setup

There are lots of reports on the web about problems when using DMZ's  so it might be worth turning that off.  DMZ's are not needed when you can use port forwarding - and they can leave your machine more vulnerable to network attacks.

-NoTransferFromFiltering won't have any effect for you at the moment because your server is password protected, but you might consider using it if you ever open up your server or remove your passwords.

Also - please note that you've left your admin password in one of your server lines in your original post.

Thank you for letting me know, i removed my password replaced with *** and I will see if my server is visible outside the LAN and test without DMZ.

2 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

A random thought - does the cluster have to be unique (across the internet)? Perhaps clusterid=spiiked is already out there on steam somewhere and so your cluster ain't working?

1 hour ago, DuoMog said:

AFAIK: the servers have to report in to the Ark mothership (metaphorically speaking) for the cluster to operate, so it feels more like a port forwarding or firewall issue than anything else.

I might be a bit extreme here, but there is an online string generator at https://www.random.org/strings/ if you want to generate a unique cluster ID?

I will give it a more unique ID I figured being just a LAN server it would be sufficient. Again lol I did not thing that having the game visible to the outside world would make a difference for having a working cluster. There was even an option to "show password protected" and i clicked on that like 50 times and nothing. I made a note i will try these suggestions tommorow after some sleep.

2 minutes ago, Spiike said:

I will give it a more unique ID I figured being just a LAN server it would be sufficient

Been reading a bit and it seems not to be an issue (except when running on a commercial rented server).

Only other things that jumped out is I saw a recommendation to bump port numbers up by 10 between different server instances. (Yeah I know 2 should be OK but ....). So 7777, 7787, 7797 not 7777 7779, 7781. Also somewhere there was a comment that password protection in combination with clusters don't work???

Is it possible to do the old fashioned Upload survivor / Download on other server instead of simply trying to transfer to (an empty) cluster browse list. 

Separating port numbers by two is enough.  That's how my cluster is setup.  I've also observed the behaviour with Wireshark.  

Also: password protection on clusters does work now.  Coincidentally, I had a temporary map on my cluster today with a password and people were able to transfer backwards and forwards through the cluster.

I don't know about the upload/download survivor thing.  I haven't tried it that way.

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here, but I forgot to mention that the PC hosting the ark server needs a static IP address:-

Open a cmd prompt and type    ipconfig

Mine says...

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.285]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\DuoMog>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5196:b4c5:b649:7c37%14
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11
   Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

C:\Users\DuoMog>

Go into the network settings and disable DHCP.  Give the machine a static address - in my case I would enter 192.168.0.11 (as seen above).

The port forwarding on your router should use that IP address.

If you don't give your Ark server PC a static address, then DHCP could assign it a different address on the next reboot and that will break any port forwarding you've previously setup.

14 hours ago, DirkInSA said:

Been reading a bit and it seems not to be an issue (except when running on a commercial rented server).

Only other things that jumped out is I saw a recommendation to bump port numbers up by 10 between different server instances. (Yeah I know 2 should be OK but ....). So 7777, 7787, 7797 not 7777 7779, 7781. Also somewhere there was a comment that password protection in combination with clusters don't work???

Is it possible to do the old fashioned Upload survivor / Download on other server instead of simply trying to transfer to (an empty) cluster browse list. 

I have read others not having to have 10 ports apart for each server instance. and I do not recall and I just triple checked, there is no option.

8 hours ago, DuoMog said:

Forgive me if I'm stating the obvious here, but I forgot to mention that the PC hosting the ark server needs a static IP address:-

Open a cmd prompt and type    ipconfig

Mine says...

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.17134.285]
(c) 2018 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Users\DuoMog>ipconfig

Windows IP Configuration

Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::5196:b4c5:b649:7c37%14
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.11
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1

C:\Users\DuoMog>

Go into the network settings and disable DHCP.  Give the machine a static address - in my case I would enter 192.168.0.11 (as seen above).

The port forwarding on your router should use that IP address.

If you don't give your Ark server PC a static address, then DHCP could assign it a different address on the next reboot and that will break any port forwarding you've previously setup.

Yes, I always have static IP address on my LAN, as my router gets overwhelmed and stops giving out ip addresses after a few weeks. so my phones, laptops, tablets, computers all work even if the dhcp server stops working (I'm on Telus) which has built in optik TV service. so changing routers is expensive. and this one has good ac1200 support.

Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::e132:15fc:f148:e19a%17
   IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.3
   Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.254

I used a random code gernator and made myself a uniqueID for my clusterid, I removed all the extra preventdownload and preventupload options from the startup service settings. as they are in the ini file and work correctly.

So I have port forwarded the correct ports, TCP and UDP, for some odd reason it reset itself? here are the port forward rules

7777/7782 TCP 192.168.1.3 7777/7782 Modify Remove
27015/27020 TCP 192.168.1.3 27015/27020 Modify Remove
7777/7782 UDP 192.168.1.3 7777/7782 Modify Remove
27015/27020 UDP 192.168.1.3 27015/27020 Modify Remove

my secondary AP tp-link archer c50 v3 which connects via 5ghz to the main router T3200M, is basically a 4 port with wifi switch, NAT, Firewall and DHCP server are all disabled, and connecting directly to the main router does not change anything via wireless as i can not drill holes through floors to run cables, I have had the server running for 15 minutes, my local PC can connect. I still not able to view the servers in my cluster. I am still able to upload items and dinos, exit, and connect to the other server and download those items and dinos, with no problem. but if i go to island and ascend, and get a 120 level character, it would be nice to use it across all 3 servers. and There is now a new folder with the clusterid in the clusters folder, as expected.

I have also tried making a DMZ set to the secondary AP 192.168.1.1 and also setting it to .3 and tried disabling it, also tried having it set so that the secondary AP dmz was set to .3 and disabling it. maybe i'm not giving it enough time to register with the ark mothership. LOL this is getting frustrating i'll keep playing with it, maybe something will work eventually

When I start up a new server, I find it takes about 5 minutes before I can connect through the list of unofficial servers.

Can I ask: When you connect to any of your maps, do you connect via the LAN address (192.168.1.3) or do you connect via your externally facing IP address ( http://www.whatsmyip.org/ )

Also: Does BattleMetrics find your server?   https://www.battlemetrics.com  Try searching for the name of your server.

My only other thought is: Do you have any way to temporarily connect your Ark server to your outward facing AP?

2 hours ago, DuoMog said:

When I start up a new server, I find it takes about 5 minutes before I can connect through the list of unofficial servers.

Can I ask: When you connect to any of your maps, do you connect via the LAN address (192.168.1.3) or do you connect via your externally facing IP address ( http://www.whatsmyip.org/ )

Also: Does BattleMetrics find your server?   https://www.battlemetrics.com  Try searching for the name of your server.

My only other thought is: Do you have any way to temporarily connect your Ark server to your outward facing AP?

I had it connected to the main router earlier just to test. And the other computers were able to connect to the servers. And as I know my isp doesn't allow you to connect to your own ip address, so I can't ping myself, or join a server using my external ip address and I've had people join my server in the past but that was an old router. I'll have to send a friend my ip and ask if he can see my servers. Checked battle metrics, no sign of my server. Live I said I did a lot of research before posting this thread.  Is my isp blocking my game?

I was also messing around in Windows 10 firewall. Checked to make sure they are in private network and that the app is in the inbound rule list etc. Disabled my firewall for a few hours. And still no servers listed in the cluster.. So I decided to take a break and made 20k paste lol

23 minutes ago, Spiike said:

I had it connected to the main router earlier just to test. And the other computers were able to connect to the servers. And as I know my isp doesn't allow you to connect to your own ip address, so I can't ping myself, or join a server using my external ip address and I've had people join my server in the past but that was an old router. I'll have to send a friend my ip and ask if he can see my servers. Checked battle metrics, no sign of my server. Live I said I did a lot of research before posting this thread.  Is my isp blocking my game?

I was also messing around in Windows 10 firewall. Checked to make sure they are in private network and that the app is in the inbound rule list etc. Disabled my firewall for a few hours. And still no servers listed in the cluster.. So I decided to take a break and made 20k paste lol

I believe this is a router problem - where you can connect to the ark server across your LAN but not by your external address, but it's outside of my practical experience.

This thread https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038676188026/  has a couple of suggestions that seem to work for some people - but not others.

This post describes how to setup a loopback address on your PC https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/workaround-if-you-cannot-join-your-own-dedi-server.4672/

This post describes why some routers don't automatically allow loopbacks http://arksurvivalevolved.gamewalkthrough-universe.com/dedicatedservers/windows/Default.aspx

Yet another post says you can have problems transferring your survivor if you play on the PC that is also acting as the server.

Sorry I can't suggest anything else now.  The above links are all discussing the problem in slightly different ways - but they don't all offer a universal solution.

Please let everyone know if you do get it working.

I have not got it working yet.

I will try above mentioned thank you. I also had I thought that my buddy gave me the idea, I believe my isp may block dedicated server ports I may just have to try using random numbers for ports to verify. And the likely chance of anyone here with the same isp is very low. Because all the ports are forwarded correctly. Also I did try connecting with another pc multiple times in multiple settings and scenarios, survivor logged off at the obi ready to go on rag and island. Main char on aberration. Ok I'll keep trying.

On 9/21/2018 at 7:32 AM, DuoMog said:

I believe this is a router problem - where you can connect to the ark server across your LAN but not by your external address, but it's outside of my practical experience.

This thread https://steamcommunity.com/app/346110/discussions/0/615086038676188026/  has a couple of suggestions that seem to work for some people - but not others.

This post describes how to setup a loopback address on your PC https://forum.sector3studios.com/index.php?threads/workaround-if-you-cannot-join-your-own-dedi-server.4672/

This post describes why some routers don't automatically allow loopbacks http://arksurvivalevolved.gamewalkthrough-universe.com/dedicatedservers/windows/Default.aspx

Yet another post says you can have problems transferring your survivor if you play on the PC that is also acting as the server.

Sorry I can't suggest anything else now.  The above links are all discussing the problem in slightly different ways - but they don't all offer a universal solution.

Please let everyone know if you do get it working.

So to test, i changed the aberration server ports to 8081 and 8087 and then 8083 and 8099 for ragnarok and nothing. waited 10 minutes, nothing, tried secondary computer, nothing. Then i used arkservers.net and force added my server ip and it showed up. I was excited. then i found this app called port forward network utilities. gave it a shot, and it said that the ports were forwarded correctly. Okay. so my idea didn't work, and i probably could of left the ports the same numbers and it would of been fine.

Then i gave the first link a test. and didn't even reboot the servers, connected my ip address and done deal, i have not tested the survivor transfer, but i can see the servers from the obelisk. I am going to do a few tests before i move my level 90 character and loose it, but eventually later i'll take him to the island and do the bosses/ascention and come back to aberration and ragnarok later on. I'll post a message later to verify 100% that everything works.

*edit I actually just took the 5 seconds, created a scorched earth server, logged into ragnarok, transfered my character to scorched earth, then transferred from scorched to ragnarok 100% confirmed working...

Thanks guys.

Okay, So i had the other computer connected to the servers, and I was able to see the clusters in the "travel to other ark" button but now it will not show up anymore. nothing. however, mine is working fine, just transfered a bunch of spinos to scorched to level them up with deathworms. So myself, can join my own server on the same computer, with the loopback, but how about the other computer?

5 hours ago, Spiike said:

Okay, So i had the other computer connected to the servers, and I was able to see the clusters in the "travel to other ark" button but now it will not show up anymore. nothing. however, mine is working fine, just transfered a bunch of spinos to scorched to level them up with deathworms. So myself, can join my own server on the same computer, with the loopback, but how about the other computer?

My almost-non-existent understanding of the loopback settings would suggest that every computer on your LAN would need its own loopback setting.

58 minutes ago, DuoMog said:

My almost-non-existent understanding of the loopback settings would suggest that every computer on your LAN would need its own loopback setting.

Yeah I double checked to verify that the ip address was set correctly in the loopback, and i installed it on the second computer, put the ip in, restarted ark, still no go. Very strange that it would work for 1 computer and not the other.

• 2 weeks later...

Actually re-installed my entire system because i got a NVME drive, swapped my video cards, ram and PC's around. so now my fx8350 has a radeon 7870 , 120gb hyperx ssd and 180 gb corsair ssd, has ragnarok, theisland, aberration, and scorched all running cluster, now my daughter can transfer her character between the 4 servers, and I can not, with my i7 3770 rx580 on 500gb nvme 

everything is the same, except this time the secondary computer trying to transfer player from server to server, when i installed the loopback driver, the servers dissappeared and I was unable to connect until i disabled the loopback. and the ip address is correct, and the loopback driver is installed on the computer with the servers.

I was also able to use the 7777/27015 7779/27017 7781/27019 7783/27021 ports with the correct port forwarding, and the servers are connected to the ark mothership, because i can see them registered under unofficial.

So for poops and giggles I actually found a workaround. Temporary however. I hope to find a better solution. 

So i have private internet access, but i was never able to get it to work with ark survival, it just crashed when you click join. HOWEVER. if you connect to the server THEN connect your VPN all of a sudden, i have SERVERS IN MY CLUSTER!!!!!!!!!! ok now that the excitement is over. this is way better than transferring characters and loosing tribe ownership etc. or having to upload your items/dinos and create another character and thus loosing the ability to do ascention cave and getting the extra levels.

Anyways, don't close this thread or forget, hopefully we can get a true work around.

Archived