Are we done with dinosaurs now...?

Akherousia

Honestly, from a story perspective I really like the direction this game is going in but I feel like the developers are improvising their way out of what was originally just a phase and trying to go for a more creative approach. I get that the developers completely lost interest in making this a game about dinosaurs and while I do like the Tek and mutations angle we've been taking, I was hoping we'd see more of a balance of new dinosaurs. It seems the older maps are no longer going to get any support for new dinosaurs and the only interest is in creating brand new creatures. Personally, I'm not too fond of this because I find all the new creatures they've released since Aberration onwards are extremely overdesigned, but I do think they're cool as a concept since - like I said - it matches well with the story progression of the game.

But is Wildcard done with dinosaurs entirely?
I'm seeing stuff like the Jurassic Park mod and there's just such a wide selection of cool dinosaurs that would be really awesome to see in this game. Hell, they don't all have to be unique, either. Having certain creatures fill the same roles and abilities as others but with different sizes, appearances, and slightly different stats would still be cool if it would add to the variety of the game.

Have the Developers said at any point that there's any interest in adding new dinosaurs, or is it over? Is Ark now a pure Sci-Fi game?
At this rate, I feel like Ark 2 is going to feel more like a Destiny Survival Game than anything resembling its original form.

27 minutes ago, Demerus said:

We don't need more dinos (color, tek, corrupted variants) for people to go out and tame to do nothing with further contributing to tame cap issues plaguing the game since legacy.

Stop making everything about pve. This game is obviously, for ppl with a three figured IQ, meant for pvp or unofficial pve.

25 minutes ago, Demerus said:

We don't need more dinos (color, tek, corrupted variants) for people to go out and tame to do nothing with further contributing to tame cap issues plaguing the game since legacy.

Right? Id rather have all the Dinos we have go through tlc, be rebalanced/optimized, and have the mutations system expanded on. 

All creatures should go through tlc which should include tweaking abilities already present as well as the addition of new, relevant ones. There are so many dinos that need to be improved so they have more uses that egg factories. And while on the subject of egg factories I think that increasing the chance of egg laying would help the "too many egg dinos" problem along with tame cap.

The mutations system could use a rework. What if instead of stealing eggs for rock Drakes, players had to selectively breed a handful of similar dinos (and possibly tamper with DNA using Tek) to get em. Just an example of what a cool mechanic breeding could be if it was just thought out a bit more.

9 minutes ago, steelshiv said:

Right? Id rather have all the Dinos we have go through tlc, be rebalanced/optimized, and have the mutations system expanded on. 

All creatures should go through tlc which should include tweaking abilities already present as well as the addition of new, relevant ones. There are so many dinos that need to be improved so they have more uses that egg factories. And while on the subject of egg factories I think that increasing the chance of egg laying would help the "too many egg dinos" problem along with tame cap.

The mutations system could use a rework. What if instead of stealing eggs for rock Drakes, players had to selectively breed a handful of similar dinos (and possibly tamper with DNA using Tek) to get em. Just an example of what a cool mechanic breeding could be if it was just thought out a bit more.

I like the whole TLC part, but I don't think you should have to engineer a creature. 

47 minutes ago, Demerus said:

The corrupted variants won't be tameable, wouldn't worry about it.

Jesus, guys, way to take a topic and craft it into something else. These issues need addressing, surely, but this isn't about that. The Devs will be adding more creatures, and this is about whether or not there should be more dinosaurs among those creatures of if they plan on doubling down with the science-fiction aspect of things. Discussing tame caps, lag, clutter, PvE and PvP is kind of redundant. This isn't the place for your petty whining, so get out of here. I get that your concerns are genuine but there is nothing more annoying than a person who comments in a thread with 'Who cares! They need to fix this other thing that's pissing me off first!'. I hope you don't tackle real-life conversations that same way.

10 minutes ago, Qwertymine said:

I like the whole TLC part, but I don't think you should have to engineer a creature. 

I'm hoping that after Extinction the game is further polished. But it seems a bit late imo. I've been saying since the release of SE that the focus of development should have been on the base game

Creature engineering is just an example of what the mutation system could be if it was fully explored. It would be cool to be able to breed truly unique dinos, but I understand that it would be a challenge from a developmental pov.

18 minutes ago, Akherousia said:

Jesus, guys, way to take a topic and craft it into something else. These issues need addressing, surely, but this isn't about that. The Devs will be adding more creatures, and this is about whether or not there should be more dinosaurs among those creatures of if they plan on doubling down with the science-fiction aspect of things. Discussing tame caps, lag, clutter, PvE and PvP is kind of redundant. This isn't the place for your petty whining, so get out of here. I get that your concerns are genuine but there is nothing more annoying than a person who comments in a thread with 'Who cares! They need to fix this other thing that's pissing me off first!'. I hope you don't tackle real-life conversations that same way.

You're right. Sorry lol.

I actually 100% agree with your topic. I'd love to see more dinos, not necessarily filling out a new role. Altough i also see the beauty and usefullness of the weird aberration creatures and looking forward to the new extinction animals, I'd rather see more real dinos.

I too would love to see more dinosaurs added especially to the base game, still disppointed about the addition of the stygi, brachi and Stryacosaurus as skins. I mean theres so many other dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures that could be added. Even if they were filling similiar roles to creatures already in game.

Doesnt mean I dont like to see more of the sci fi side which I like too and grown to love more and more. I loved the addition of the likes of wyverns in Scorched and the drakes in Aberration. I feel branching out from just straight dinosaurs gives so much more to thr overall game.

1 hour ago, Akherousia said:

you are right, MOAR DINOS, WE NEED MOAR!

P.S. SORRY FOR DOUBLE POST

3 hours ago, Akherousia said:

The Devs will be adding more creatures, and this is about whether or not there should be more dinosaurs among those creatures of if they plan on doubling down with the science-fiction aspect of things. 

To answer your clarified question: No. I think the game is fine with the variety and amount of dinosaurs it has at this point. It would seem that everything is going to have a more science fiction theme at least until extinction is finished. After that, who knows. 

Jesus, guys, way to take a topic and craft it into something else. These issues need addressing, surely, but this isn't about that. 

You asked for opinion or speculation as one can easily use a search engine to find the information you are looking for. 

This isn't the place for your petty whining, so get out of here. 

Nobody is whining.

I get that your concerns are genuine but there is nothing more annoying than a person who comments in a thread with 'Who cares! They need to fix this other thing that's pissing me off first!'. I hope you don't tackle real-life conversations that same way.

I hope you don't tackle real-life conversations in such a condescending, abrasive way.

From the screen shots they showed today I would say don't hold your breath for any new "traditional" dinos.

But we are getting an Ent :) Im sure it will be called a wood elemental tho.

Edit: On second examination it looks a bit big for an elemental. Maybe another of the titans? Its hard to tell its scale since where its standing in relation to the wyvs is blocked.

Sorry for getting off topic above. While dino's were the original draw for many, including me, to this game after seeing the storyline unfold I don't think it's fair to say the devs are making it up as they go along. I think a sci-fi aspect was always going to be the case and I don't think additional dino's are needed. I am on board with TLC's to improve the use of all the current dino's in the game.

5 hours ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

"This game is obviously, for ppl with a three figured IQ, meant for pvp or unofficial pve."

PvE players get to actually sleep and keep the stuff they invest hours, days, and months into, but they're the stupid ones? Lol

Didn't say pve players were stupid. Just the ones in here whining about tame cap every day when there's plenty of alternatives to official pve.

I'd hoped we'd get more "earth" creatures rather than even more fantasy/sci-fi ones again - like foxes, giraffes, lions etc. While many are already covered with their prehistoric versions, like bears, deer, elephant etc (one could say lions too, I know...), I'd like to see some more of those rather than made-up species. At least we'll get owls.

it triggers me when a pve'er asks for more dinos. ark has over 300 "creatures". lets say half of them are considered conventional dinosaurs or the likes, copied from prehistoric discoveries. how many of those 150 do you really interact with in a week, or a month? i'd say not more than 50, even if rp is in your blood. just too many plain ones with similar abilities and stats. no. i'd much more prefer tlc'ing the already existing dwellers to turn them into multi tools like the argent is now. hell, just look at the parasaur for gods sake. every pvp tribe has a few of them for security xD 

oviraptor should get a buff, ultimately cutting down on eggfarms that way. frogs should digest chitin/keratin and turn it into paste, being alernatives to snails. scorp venom should be stronger than its attack so people could use it for taming/trolling. i wish there was another metal/stone farmer etc.

On 9/18/2018 at 6:10 PM, steelshiv said:

Yes!

On 9/18/2018 at 6:10 PM, steelshiv said:

No!

The breeding system is already super bad due to what it demands from the player, and together with that stupid mutation system its just waaay over the top. The mutation count is useless as its easy to avoid, the mechanics encourage dino hoarding and produce super op results which make both, pvp and pve, boring and broken. Wildcard shoul just delete the mutation system and forget it has ever existed, instead of expanding it into a sci-fi gene-technology direction possibly even with cross breeding?

12 minutes ago, acat said:

Wildcard shoul just delete the mutation system and forget it has ever existed, instead of expanding it into a sci-fi gene-technology direction possibly even with cross breeding?

Mutation could be removed from the breeding mechanic. And replaced with something that dosen't rely on dino hoarding. Something more mmo like. A complicated recipe that includes new rare drops. Maybe different teirs. Like rare drops from an alpha raptor as teir 1. 

Or some form of an evolve creature mechanic. 

12 minutes ago, Aylana314159 said:

Mutation could be removed from the breeding mechanic. And replaced with something that dosen't rely on dino hoarding. Something more mmo like. A complicated recipe that includes new rare drops. Maybe different teirs. Like rare drops from an alpha raptor as teir 1. 

Or some form of an evolve creature mechanic. 

Ya sounds good. I mean, they could keep the color mutations in, as i know that many people love them, but the stat mutations are a bad concept in my eyes.

Archived