Raising a wyvern by myself?

MackTheKnife

Forced to take 10 days off of work because I built up my days too much..so what better solution than to waste those days raising a virtual dragon?

Anyways, I am on Ragnarok and pretty close to the trench. I am pretty sure I can handle everything up until raising. Pteranodon grabs eggs and roll out of there, piece of cake. The problem comes to actually raising it. Should I wait until some major holiday to do this, with a x2 breeding? 

I know you have to have milk in order for it not to die as a baby, but not after the baby stage. I would at least want to TRY imprinting it with milk as much as i can. So what are the rates in which the baby needs milk (let's say, egg above 150)? I heard the high levels have a manageable food stat. But how would I go about knocking one out for its milk every single time I have to feed it? I cannot store it in a fridge apparently. Would a preserving bin be enough to cover the time as a high level food stat?

And how would I use a trap to get the milk? I have no idea how to trap one of those things without getting obliterated. I'm just one person, so losing anything would probably just make me quit lol. Could someone tell me how to make a trap for them?

I can't trade because my account was comm suspended for 2 weeks..Can't even use the chat. So i'm on my own. 

Most servers have public traps. Look for one that you feel comfortable with. I'd opt for a funnel type with no door to have to close. Spy a loan female. If using a ptera I'd try for a poison female as their breath attack is pretty easily avoided. Use a long neck and darts. Lower level is better to get milk and have a shotty to kill it afterwards. Preserving bin with sparkpowder keeps milk about 4 hours. Wyv's lose about 400 food an hour so easy math to determine when to feed it. Each milk gives 1200 food. It's milk through out raising. Meat after an adult. Can always see if anybody is offering free milk in chat too. If you can get a Griffin or Wyv, prefer those for getting an egg and for trapping females. Good luck. Salt in dino inventory between transporting milk from Scar to Preserving bin as well, ahem, milk all the time you can get.

29 minutes ago, yekrucifixion187 said:

Most servers have public traps. Look for one that you feel comfortable with. I'd opt for a funnel type with no door to have to close. Spy a loan female. If using a ptera I'd try for a poison female as their breath attack is pretty easily avoided. Use a long neck and darts. Lower level is better to get milk and have a shotty to kill it afterwards. Preserving bin with sparkpowder keeps milk about 4 hours. Wyv's lose about 400 food an hour so easy math to determine when to feed it. Each milk gives 1200 food. It's milk through out raising. Meat after an adult. Can always see if anybody is offering free milk in chat too. If you can get a Griffin or Wyv, prefer those for getting an egg and for trapping females. Good luck. Salt in dino inventory between transporting milk from Scar to Preserving bin as well, ahem, milk all the time you can get.

Wait..are you sure it’s milk throughout the whole process? I thought once it’s juvenile and up you could feed it meat?

If you really want the "cheap" solution - It is possible to raise a wyvern without milk at all.

Catch a pig and use its healing ability to keep the hatch-ling alive while its growing. A pig is relatively easy to get as you can pick it up with an argy, and the pig will eat cooked meat to replenish itself after using the healing. I have done this on single player with maturation rates set to 2x. Tried it online on an official server some while ago (1x growing rates) - but that was PVP and I got shot up before the dragon was adult .... Yes this does not allow for 100% imprinting, however if you are lucky the baby wants walkies or cuddles a lot before it asks for milk.

Expect to lose flyers if it's your first time. Have backup flyers ready.

Milk in preserving with spark and Salt lasts about 8 hours, just remember to restock salt before it runs out.

If you hatch it in the morning you can be pretty sure it won't need food the following night, so you can sleep. 

If you have more than one egg, hatch them. A wild wyvern gives 5 milk, your hatchling won't need to eat it all before it spoils, so better feed two or three babies instead of wasting milk. 

I wouldn't hatch anything below 150 either, but since you're on rag and getting high lvl eggs is super easy, why not collect some better ones? 

Edit: a gas mask will protect you from poison wyvern clouds.

My general rules of thumb for raising any wyvern are :

- having 3 mid to high lvl griffins with 3k to 5k health at least and 1000-1500 stam, I never know when  sh!t happens, so better have backups.

- having my own wyvern trap. I usually used a keypad for remote closing the door but not anymore now I know how to build a wyvern trap that doesn't need closing, once inside the wyvern can never get out. Basically leading the wyvern inside the trap via upper behemoth gateway while the other lower half part is blocked by walls and ceilings then lead it to the second part of the trap from lower part divided by metal ramps, it will then wander freely for some time there enough to be knocked out, even if it tries to get out by diving down, it can get out from the second part of the trap but the gateway is blocked by walls and ceilings so it can't get out.

- Hatch the egg at proper time. For me this is important so I can imprint 100%. Like hatching in the morning at 6 to 7 am, the wyvern will ask for imprint every 8 hours, so it will end up at 14:00 pm - 15:00 pm and 22-23:00 pm, and will repeat for the next next day with a few minutes offset depending on how fast I imprint when it asks.

- get the milk 1-2 hours prior to feeding/imprinting time, I can get milk easily like under fifteen minutes but at a bad time I can spend 1h and not even get any milk because all I can find are male wyverns lol it happens or getting my griffin hurt and have to change.

But that's on Ragnarok, I never raise any wyvern/steal egg/getting milk on SE.

1 minute ago, mecandbuttons said:

So not to derail but every time we talk about milk I hear salt in the preserving bin. I thought you no longer can put salt in the preserving bin? That change was made a long time ago or am I mistaken?

That bug is old, yes, and only on consoles. PC players can place it in the bin.

Archived