View distance

Rainex37

• Volunteer Moderator
Just now, Rainex37 said:

I am interested in the possibility to make the range higher than the standard. Somewhere I can change the values responsible for the range of those options?

Epic is the maximum. Keep in mind that the servers won't network the structures that are farther than that so even if you managed to somehow bypass that client-side it would most likely have no effect because there would be no data for it to render...

I saw the setting "Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\Engine\Config":

[ViewDistanceQuality@0]
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
r.ViewDistanceScale=0.28

[ViewDistanceQuality@1]
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
r.ViewDistanceScale=0.5

[ViewDistanceQuality@2]
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
r.ViewDistanceScale=0.79

[ViewDistanceQuality@3]
r.SkeletalMeshLODBias=0
r.ViewDistanceScale=2.48

Tried to change the values, the range of visibility did not change. Is this the wrong option?

• Volunteer Moderator
1 minute ago, Rainex37 said:

I saw the setting "Steam\steamapps\common\ARK\Engine\Config":

Tried to change the values, the range of visibility did not change. Is this the wrong option?

Like I said, it won't change anything because the server itself will not network the dynamic actors (structures, items, dinos, etc.) that are outside of the maximum render range; Epic. Increasing it client-side might only works on trees and stuff that are built into the map but even them requires some networking whether or not they were recently harvested so they will most likely be unaffected too. Unless you also increase the networking range server-side (which might ends with array sizing issues) you won't be able to go higher than Epic.

• Volunteer Moderator
11 minutes ago, Sphere said:

How does one change it on the server? Not that I would recommend it. Some people have outrageous base sizes, and could actually disconnect people if it's set to too huge. Sure they could turn it down, but some people feel entitled to maximum.

That is a good question. I really don't think this could be done easily because the mins/maxs vectors are most likely hard-coded within the binaries.

Archived