Thoughts on flyer picking?

Scaroleo85

My thoughts are sought of mixed, towards when I first started to do pvp ( and watch it on YouTube). I thought the games meta was so biased in favour of flyers. Plus the picking in pvp had a whacky feeling of a playstyle and watching pvp Vids was unrealistically monotonous, seeing this cheesy strat made my face as dopey as my level 6 parcer.  

As I said before, currently, I’m sought of mixed on this strat/mechanic. It’s still cheesy  to watch But I’ve gotten used to it overall, it’s funnily enough a core “mechanic” right now in 2018 (it probably always has been lol) but I know that flyers in pvp could be much greater; interesting than this, especially with the tapjara.

(Just my thoughts on the flyer pvp/picking alone, not entire ark pvp)

Damn, I wish shields could block them ptera feet. 

(BTW, I’m in red hot love for Arks potential.)

2 hours ago, RasFW said:

We disabled flyers on our unofficial. Best PvP decision we've made.

Omg I are you kidding me? why do you people always disable things like pegomastax, flyers and things like the yutyrannus. I always laugh at these stories like for example "wah a pegomastax took my bow this thing needs to be banned from existence" or "yutyrannus unfair it make my mount run like coward and then ate me" stop disabling the strategy from the game

1 minute ago, Jerry25712 said:

Omg I are you kidding me? why do you people always disable things like pegomastax, flyers and things like the yutyrannus. I always laugh at these stories like for example "wah a pegomastax took my bow this thing needs to be banned from existence" or "yutyrannus unfair it make my mount run like coward and then ate me" stop disabling the strategy from the game

Well, all I could say is if you dont like the rules, dont play on the server. We will customize our server however we like.

Disabling flyers has opened more strategy than it closed. We've observed that more ground tames and a higher variety of tames are used in fights when flyer picking isn't present. Originally we were just going to disable picking, but decided to disable fliers overall to make base location more important.

I enjoy playing on servers with no flying tames.. Forces you to enjoy the map from a hands on perspective.. I see flying over the map to a destination as skipping over things that are pretty gorgeous.. Waterfalls.. Caves.. Cliffs with a good view.. I like to stop and look around and enjoy myself from time to time..

Pve disabled picking up dinos mainly for the reason of griefing by dropping wilds into other players bases.. While its convenient to tame by picking up and dropping in a trap theres a reason it was disabled by default

Peraonally in pvp i think picking is a must have, sure it sucks when some rando picks up newbies and beachbobs just to kill them over and over.. But in an air battle during a raid being able to pick up the enemy comes in handy.. You just gotta be preppared with parachutes and weapons if you are the one to get picked

14 hours ago, Scaroleo85 said:

My thoughts are sought of mixed, towards when I first started to do pvp ( and watch it on YouTube). I thought the games meta was so biased in favour of flyers.

Picking and dropping, for a long time, was a cheap-shot but super effective way to raid, particularly with PvP respawn timers. Ark had an issue with flyer picking supremacy during EA, but over time they've balanced it to the point that picking and dropping is nowhere near as effective on anyone who prepared for PvP. Between parachutes, increased flyer damage from ranged weapons, grapple hooks, cattle prods, more effective whistling/tame-control mechanics, and (ffs) glider suits, picking isn't as effective as it used to be...but I still think of it as a kind of cheap way to PvP

I like where your head's at though. Raiding and PvP in general on Ark can get pretty monotonous, particularly if you're on a server full of skilled players who already know all the cheese strats and textbook raid/build tactics. Changing things up can really keep the game fresh, an on an unofficial server that means more fun and often better player retention.

8 hours ago, Jerry25712 said:

Omg I are you kidding me? why do you people always disable things like pegomastax, flyers and things like the yutyrannus. I always laugh at these stories like for example "wah a pegomastax took my bow this thing needs to be banned from existence" or "yutyrannus unfair it make my mount run like coward and then ate me" stop disabling the strategy from the game

Removing stuff isn't always intended to make the game easier...on many PvP servers I've played on or run it's the opposite. I've removed various dinos and/or mechanics on my servers, and been on plenty of others that do or did the same. It's rarely in my experience had anything to do with nerfing the game for noobs, because they didn't last long on those servers anyway. 

Removing certain dinos or mechanics can add some variety to the tired and repetitive strategies everyone uses. Removing flyers from one of my servers made for a really fun PvP wipe cycle. After that we kept flyers but removed all flyer saddles. I've removed all shock-ocean creatures and rare-spawned the whales to make a pirate-themed PvP cycle where land-building was limited. Another great 30 day cycle was removing all saddles but for the small creatures...and riding a raptor into battle with a bunch of rexes on follow was great. We've experimented with all sorts of changes, some worked, some sucked. (All thatch/wood building mats was more fun than it sounds) Either way, it often changed our approach to the game and gave us new ideas/tactics when playing with standard settings.

It's worth keeping your mind open to stuff like this, especially if you're running an unofficial server with a community of players who are already good with standard mechanics. 

Archived